RomanArmyTalk
New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: References & Reviews (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org (/showthread.php?tid=6783)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 03-13-2007

Quote:Frankly I am insulted that you feel that people conceptualize the past by reference to novels, comics and movies.
Of course no offense was meant. However, I can not share your optimism and think you overestimate the importance of modern scholarship. As Jasper once remarked, "Ben Hur is singlehandedly responsible for the continuing myth about galleyslaves in the Roman navy". Or, to take another example, the number of people believing that there were two gunmen involved when Kennedy was assassinated, has doubled since Oliver Stone's JFK. For many people, movies, TV programs, and the wikipedia are more important than books.

Quote:I also think you do a great dis-service to Tom Holland's "Persian Fire", which at the very least attempts to present a balanced view of the very impressive ancient Persian culture.
That is something I have not denied, but there is no excuse for repeating refuted nineteenth-century scholarship. Besides, Holland is extremely careless, does not understand the Babylonian insurrections in the 480's (which is deadly for his argument), and has not realized the importance of Briant's Histoire de l' empire Perse, although he quotes the English translation.

All this being said, I took your remarks as an incentive to write this review of Persian Fire. The first, theoretical, section will be familiar, but the second, third, and fourth sections may be of some interest to you.

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - sulla felix - 03-13-2007

Thanks for the reply Jona.

I shall read the review and critique of Tom Holland's "Persian Fire" with interest. I think I shall then re-read the book and try to place your observations within context.

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 03-13-2007

Quote:Thanks for the reply Jona.
You're welcome. Big Grin

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 03-15-2007

I made a list of Jewish religious literature, put into chronological sequence. No doubt someone must have had the same obvious idea, but I have never found it, so I made it myself. It is useful because (a) you can easier discern the development of Judaism and (b) you get the "unauthorized" version of Judaism because I have included non-Biblical texts. (The Enochite literature, for example, was later regarded as heretical.)

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Robert Vermaat - 03-15-2007

Thanks Jona, a welcome addition.

Just this: I may be a bit color blind, or else my pc has trouble with colors, but I have a hard time distinguishing between blue and green in that list...

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 03-15-2007

A strange error of mine: I always try think of people who are color blind (cf. this link), but this time, my mind must have been somewhere else... :oops:

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 03-17-2007

Bill has put online a short piece on the letters on the stones of the Servian Wall.

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 03-18-2007

Bill continues with his series of rare, hard-to-find articles, and has put online a piece on Etruscan horseshoes.

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Bill Thayer - 03-19-2007

That horseshoe item (plundered from JSTOR, like many others in my Shoebox), by the way, links back to RAT Forum; the subject having come up here about 2 weeks ago.

B

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Robert Vermaat - 03-19-2007

Bill, compliments from all of us here on RAT - you're doing a wonderful job!!!

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 03-24-2007

I made an overview of all legions, so that you can see the number of units at any given time, to be read with the list on this page. Not terribly interesting.

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Praefectusclassis - 03-24-2007

Very precise Jona, but I'm not sure the layout is the handiest ever. It is useful if you only want to see the number of legions at any one time, but it is kinda hard to trace one legions' history.

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 03-24-2007

Quote:Very precise Jona, but I'm not sure the layout is the handiest ever. It is useful if you only want to see the number of legions at any one time, but it is kinda hard to trace one legions' history.
Yes, you're right, but it was meant to do something with the number of legions in the first place. Adding information about the legions to explain the variation was not my best idea.

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Gaius Julius Caesar - 03-24-2007

well, it will probably be of use at sometime, when one least expects it!
Don't get rid of it just yet!! Smile

Good to see Caesar given his due for so many renouned legions!! Big Grin

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 03-25-2007

Bill, continuing to put online old, hardly accessible articles, has put online a brief article on a crux in Caesar's Gallic War.