RomanArmyTalk
New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: References & Reviews (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org (/showthread.php?tid=6783)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 06-28-2007

In the Second Book of his History of the Roman Empire, Herodian begins his account of the Year of the Five Emperors: we read about Pertinax, Didius Julianus, Pescennius Niger, and the coup d' état of Septimius Severus.

I also added pages on some Antonine princelings: Fadilla, Titus Aurelius Fulvus Antoninus, and the twins Titus Aurelius Antoninus and Titus Aelius Aurelius. Never heard of them? Click on the links, and you'll discover that they are deservedly forgotten.

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 06-30-2007

This weekend's installments: Bill put online a little piece on the radius (which is the Latin word for the wand used by professors), plus the next part of Ammianus, Book 22: Julian assumes power, without murdering very many people, but driving eunuchs and hangers-on out of the palace. He drops his pretence of Christianity, and returns to the pagan gods; he consults a lot of oracles. He winters at Antioch and deals with local politics there. A long digression on the lands fronting on the Black Sea, and another on Egypt.

On my website, Book 3 of Herodian's History of the Roman Empire. It deals with the reign of Septimius Severus: his wars against Pescennius Niger and Clodius Albinus, his Parthian campaign and his expedition to Britain.

On a related note, Ptolemy's Almagest, arguably the most influential work from Antiquity after the Bible, the Digests, and Aristotle's Organon, is now online here.

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 07-02-2007

Book 4 of Herodian's History of the Roman Empire. It deals with Caracalla: how he killed his brother, massacred the Alexandrians, fought against the Parthians, and was killed by someone reportedly acting under orders of Macrinus.

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Bill Thayer - 07-02-2007

And on the other side of the Atlantic, in view of the recent events in England, I took time out from Ammian to put up a very good little book on the history, architecture, and traditions of Oxford University. Then back to my usual haunts with Libra and a related paper, Manilius, Augustus ... and Libra (which is rather intimately bound up with the horoscope of Augustus); the paper is of additional interest because it's by the great A. E. Housman. The poet died in 1936 and thus all his work passed into the public domain on New Year's Day of this year — not only his poetry but all his classics work, including his superb edition of Manilius: I hope I'll be able to get to it soon.

B

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 07-03-2007

Book 5 of Herodian's History of the Roman Empire deals with the years 217-222: the reign of Macrinus, a brief civil war in Syria, and the excentric reign of religious fanatic Heliogabalus. For his theocratic rule, Herodianus is a less biased source than Cassius Dio and the Historia Augusta. Enjoy.

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Ross Cowan - 07-04-2007

Quote:Herodianus is a less biased source than Cassius Dio and the Historia Augusta. Enjoy.

I find it hard to understand why he is constantly maligned by scholars like Anthony Birley. For the Roman army in the late second and early third centuries, Herodian is an invaluable source.

Great work, Jona.

Greek text of Herodian & Cassius Dio - D B Campbell - 07-04-2007

Quote:... Herodianus is a less biased source than Cassius Dio ...
For those who don't know -- and I was one of those until last week! -- the Greek text of Herodian can be found here, and Cassius Dio can be found here (courtesy of the Université catholique de Louvain).

Re: Greek text of Herodian & Cassius Dio - Jona Lendering - 07-04-2007

Quote: -- and I was one of those until last week! --
I was one until today.

Quote:I find it hard to understand why he is constantly maligned by scholars like Anthony Birley. For the Roman army in the late second and early third centuries, Herodian is an invaluable source.
I have a theory. Because he focuses on "great men", Birley is a rather old-fashioned historian (I do not mean this in a pejorative sense - it is just that his topics are old-fashioned). He may have internalized some of the prejudices of the ancient "great men", and may have become something like a senator himself, with some disdain for non-senatorial authors. When he uses the Historia Augusta, it is always with a remark that the twelve "great" lives are based on a collection of biographies written by a senator.

But this is just a thought.

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 07-24-2007

Here is Book Six from Herodian's History.

Bill has put online an awful lot of stuff, more than I can refer to here, so check this page.

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 07-25-2007

Book Seven and Book Eight from Herodian's History cover the reign of Maximinus Thrax and the Year of the Six Emperors. They contains shocking and interesting descriptions of streetfights in Rome and the siege of Aquileia. The text is now complete.

My other project, as some of you will remember, is Synesius. His Fourth Letter is now available: a story about a shipwreck, "in which the comic elements are mingled with the tragic ones", as Synesius himself says. He was very young when he wrote this letter, and his fascination for women's breasts suggests that boys will be boys, ancient or modern.

Switching to Bill's site: you will find two of Claudian's Carmina Minora: 21/22 and the delightful 52 (the battle of the giants).

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Ross Cowan - 07-25-2007

Quote:The text is now complete.

Well done! Another excellent resource. Big Grin

I particularly like Herodian's description of Maximinus' invasion of Italy in book 8. Perhaps the most detailed description of a third century field army on campaign?

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 07-26-2007

More Claudian, The Rape of Proserpina, on Bill's site.

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 07-29-2007

An updated version of my article on the limes fort Burungum.

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 08-03-2007

I am currently putting online all letters by Synesius. The catch-all page is here.

Re: New at LacusCurtius and Livius.Org - Jona Lendering - 08-13-2007

I continue with the letters by Synesius (overview). I put them online in their chronological order and have now reached the year 401/2, in which war broke out with a Libyan tribe. Letter 104 is a sarcastic description of a coward, and Letter 113 explains why he has taken up arms. ("With "he" I mean Synesius, not the coward.:wink: ) Although very brief, Letter 124 is not without interest too: it tells about a soldiers' feelings about the war and from this point of view it is, as far as I know, unique. The addressee is none other than Hypathia of Alexandria and I'd gladly offer a year of my life to have her replies to Synesius' letters.

Meanwhile, Bill has finished putting online all works by Claudian, including such texts as The War Against Gildo, The Consulship of Stilicho, and The Gothic War.

Bill's latest contribution is a strange article on "The Eternal Triangle", a title that I do not understand; it is about Cato the Younger.