RomanArmyTalk
# 1 RAT dispute - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Recreational Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: # 1 RAT dispute (/showthread.php?tid=6521)

Pages: 1 2

# 1 RAT dispute - tlclark - 08-15-2006

Thought that this might be fun to see the results...

Re: # 1 RAT dispute - Magnus - 08-15-2006

I had to pick tunic colour Travis, only because of how long it spanned and the sheer number of people who got involved. Plus, some people aren't religious, or aren't christian, and may not get involved in a religious curflufle on RAT, but I mean, we all wear a tunic of one colour or another. Big Grin

Re: # 1 RAT dispute - Matt Lukes - 08-15-2006

Me too for the same reasons really- I must say I'm surprised that there's such a high vote for religion though considering it's not allowed according to the rules :lol:

Re: # 1 RAT dispute - Robert Vermaat - 08-15-2006

Tunic color - wins hands down (or should I say sleeves down? Big Grin ).
Still ruffles feathers like nothing else. While religion is a touchy subject, it can be ignored by most - tunic color is like a red rag to a bull.. DID I SAY RED Confusedhock: ????

Tunic Color - Caius Valens - 08-15-2006

Hi Caius here I would have to go with Tunic Colour, It seems a lot has been written about it and ther has been a lot of argument and disagreement. As for my two cents :roll: I think the Romans wore Red and probably other colours such as off white and blue( for Marines Legio II Audtrix) fore example. Any hoo take care all Caius/Thomas Cheers

Re: # 1 RAT dispute - Narukami - 08-15-2006

Tunic Color -- without a doubt.

I seem to recall that tunic color was a hot topic back on the original RAT server lo these many years ago.

Until some one finds an actual intact army tunic or an ancient text that spells it out in no uncertain detail this will always be a hot topic. In fact, even if someone did find a tunic or a text others would dispute it. One example does not an army dress. Just look at modern armies and how often they change the camouflage pattern on their uniforms. Confusedhock:

Narukami

Re: # 1 RAT dispute - Crispvs - 08-15-2006

Tunic colour definitely!

Incidentally, I don't believe that there was any such thing as a recognised military tunic colour. What did certainly exist however, was a complex system of recognised cloak colours which we do not fully understand.

Crispvs

Re: # 1 RAT dispute - Tarbicus - 08-15-2006

Religion? Storm in a teacup, and usually off-topic so irreverantly irrelevant.

Sword fighting? There aren't that many who know how to do it properly anyway.

Subarmalis construction? Anything goes .... (except opening at the front :wink: )

Leather armour? Oooooohhhhhhhh.... very close second Confusedhock:

Yup, tunic colour.

Re: # 1 RAT dispute - Jona Lendering - 08-15-2006

I think religion is the one single subject of ancient history that's worthy of a serious debate; we're still living in an age defined by Zarathustra, Moses, Jesus, and Constantine. It's a discussion about ourselves. And that's exactly why I agree with the forum rules that it's best not discussed. So: a null vote.

Re: # 1 RAT dispute - Theodosius the Great - 08-15-2006

Magnus is right. Are we talking about depth or breadth ? Intensity or span ? I guess it's too late the clarify the question now. I vote "tunics"

Theo

Re: # 1 RAT dispute - Jeroen Pelgrom - 08-16-2006

i still remember those tunic debates :roll: , so tunics..

Tunics - Graham Sumner - 08-16-2006

Well I did my best to try and sort out the tunic issue but I obviously failed miserably. Ah well (sigh) back to the drawing board Cry

Graham.

Re: # 1 RAT dispute - Praefectusclassis - 08-16-2006

Really Graham, Travis could also be asking for past disputes. :wink:

Re: Tunics - Robert Vermaat - 08-16-2006

Quote:Well I did my best to try and sort out the tunic issue but I obviously failed miserably. Ah well (sigh) back to the drawing board Cry
I think that you did it. Some people just won't admit it. Big Grin

#1 dispute - Caius Fabius - 08-16-2006

I think the #1 dispute is whether or not we should have polls asking for opinions.... :twisted:

My (and others) tunic researching/disputing goes back before RAT, (actually back before "Windows" was a OS and IE was a browser!).

Of the topics listed, Religion brings out the most dogmatic and least helpful (for RAT) 'disputing', while Tunic color is on topic, and heated, but allows ongoing research and helpful 'dispute'.

The number one problem for RAT? Communication between people of different backgrounds, using no body language, and a flawed written language that is rarely completely understood by native speakers, let alone all the people who work so hard to make it their second or third language! Thank goodness for spelling cow! Thank goodness for people giving each other a chance to understand! Thank goodness for moderators who have a sense of humor/humour.