RomanArmyTalk
Were the Germans physically superior? - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Allies & Enemies of Rome (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Were the Germans physically superior? (/showthread.php?tid=5490)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Re: Were the Germans physically superior? - Astiryu1 - 05-20-2010

I would but I am kind of partial to what I have now. I have a picture of myself from Medieval Times in Orlando,Fl. as the barbarian. There is some photoshop involved with the background :lol:

Unfortunately I am unable to size it down to 512 kib to fit it in. If it wasn't so big I would use it as my avatar.

The Conan refrences aside (sorry my fault) Arnold is Austrian. Is there any documentation on population DNA markers of the Germanic Tribes to sift through. I watched the Documentary "Journey of Man" on PBS and there were great findings in it. A comprehensive data collection of the different modern countries cross referenced with ancient finds is I think what we need here. That would give the best basis on which to compare.

Re: Were the Germans physically superior? - Alanus - 05-20-2010

I'll bet there's a DNA study on northern European haplotypes. There's one on just about everyone else, including a connection between modern Syrians and the Phoenecians.

Nice barbarian head. Arnold would be proud.

CHIEFTAIN: "What's the most important thing in life?"
DUFUS: "Riding across the steppe with wind in your hair."
CHIEFTAIN: "WRONG!"
CONAN: "Kill the enemy and hear the lamendation of their women."
CHIEFTAIN: "That's correct. Have a sip from my skull." :mrgreen:

Re: Were the Germans physically superior? - Sean Manning - 05-21-2010

Thanks Siggi. I may be able to come back and look up those German articles in a year or two Smile

Re: Were the Germans physically superior? - diegis - 05-21-2010

Well, since the usual result of a battle betwen germanic and roman armies (with few exceptions and until the "agony" period of roman empire) was a roman victory, usualy a smaller (much smaller) roman army vs a germanic army, i dont think a presumly taller germanic peoples was necessary physicaly superior too. First, a roman soldier was i think at least 1.70 m, and benefit from a constant training and better equipment. His training was very harsh, with marches with all equipment on it, runnings, even swimming, wrestling, boxing, using of individual weapons or colective ones, battle formations, engeenering work, etc. He eat constantly, and benefit from doctors help, even on the battlefield. It have a better stamina and better training and more experience. Even with 5 cm. smaller, an experienced roman legionar was probably more physicaly resistant and skilled then other enemies, and able to fight even one on one vs. any of them, with big chances of winning.
Not to mention that at some point in roman army was present many other nationalities, presumly "bigger" too then usual "roman", like celts, thracians (even dacians), ilyrians, even germans, sarmatians, etc.

Re: Were the Germans physically superior? - Robert Vermaat - 05-21-2010

Quote:CHIEFTAIN: "That's correct. Have a sip from my skull." :mrgreen:
Uwww, nasty, an open skull... Yikes. :mrgreen:

Re: Were the Germans physically superior? - Astiryu1 - 05-21-2010

Historically there was a Visigothic (I THINK) King that (supposedly) also used a skull as a drinking vessel. I forget the name It has been a while since I read about it; and forgot the name of the book. Sad

Re: Were the Germans physically superior? - diegis - 05-22-2010

Wasnt first mentioned the queen Tomyris of Massagetae, who drinked from the skull of Cyrus the Great? Or i dont recall corectly? I think anyway that this was not quite unusual in many barbarian societies

Re: Were the Germans physically superior? - Astiryu1 - 05-22-2010

I have only found vague references but in Celtic Society there was a cultish fashion of taking heads. The Japanese Samurai also did so during battle and was still practiced by pacific tribes ( Headhunters ) until recently. This has been used to guess that all cultures at least at some point have a common background. The shamanistic religions are not well documented as they are very old. Yet all over the world similar practices have been found. Most of the Celtic references I have read were in "Osprey" books but others have published findings as well. Even the Persians supposedly used the piked head of Leonidas as a warning to others after Thermopylae. I forget which source spoke of the Persian soldiers not wanting to approach the decapitated head of Leonidas suggesting some religious context.
The Germanic tribes also took battle trophies to display prowess and the Romans did also donating certain objects to Temples and keeping others to adorn their homes.

Re: Were the Germans physically superior? - diegis - 05-23-2010

Yes, its a bit offtopic, but it seems that head-hunting was quite common in the world back then. On Trajan Column apear scenes with Dacian fortresess with heads of roman soldiers killed or captured previously, and impaled on top of the walls, or roman soldiers presenting to Traian heads of some dacians killed in battle. Dont forget the native americans, who prefered just the scalp not the entire head, but well, fashion was a bit diferent in America i supose

Re: Were the Germans physically superior? - Gaius Julius Caesar - 05-23-2010

The Dyaks and Ibans from Borneo come to mind as some of the most recent tribal cultures to still practice ritual headhunting into the last century. In fact I have a parang, which was the tool of choice of these people. Razor sharp.....

Any how, lets get back to the topic eh? Come on folks, lets get real here!!! Everyone knows the Greeks were the race with the physical superiority...no need to debate and discuss this....We have the evidence set in stone(or bronze).....
(imagine here, the photo of Adonis, or some other greek statue as indisputable proof of the previous statement....)

Re: Were the Germans physically superior? - Astiryu1 - 05-23-2010

Superior artistic skills aside; the Greeks had a very good understanding of the human body and one can assume that perfection was something strived for. The Germans had Siegfried, the Greeks Heracles, the Babylonians Gilgamesh, and so on... All of them were very similar (if not the same) in birth, life and death. The only thing questionable is is the number of people that were able to attain such skill and/or physique. I doubt that many were able to; so it is almost impossible to know any answer barring scientific finds and excellent archeology. Oh and a time machine... Good Luck! Big Grin

Re: Were the Germans physically superior? - Alanus - 05-25-2010

Yes.
But whatever happened to the Germans vs Romans, physically speaking?
Will we ever get a consensus? Confusedhock:

Re: Were the Germans physically superior? - Astiryu1 - 05-25-2010

Likely findings will not be that conclusive due to common genealogy, location, foods, etc. One thing I wish is a comparison of lung cavities between the two. Sadly we will never get that. Sad

Re: Were the Germans physically superior? - Alanus - 05-28-2010

Quote:Likely findings will not be that conclusive due to common genealogy, location, foods, etc. One thing I wish is a comparison of lung cavities between the two. Sadly we will never get that. Sad

Ammianus Marcellinus tells a great story about the battle at The Willows: the Romans raised their voices in a horrific "barritus," and then the Goths answered with song to their ancestors. In this case, which may be the whole case with this topic, we have no idea who the "Romans" were-- probably mostly Germans! :lol:

Re: Were the Germans physically superior? - Astiryu1 - 05-28-2010

Quote: In this case, which may be the whole case with this topic, we have no idea who the "Romans" were-- probably mostly Germans! :lol:

One thing I know is that "they were citizens of the Roman Empire" descent was less important than Physicality, Endurance and Courage.

Past that I lose track. Roman ( as I am led to believe ) was a mindset more than anything else. Kings after Rome trying to emulate her attest to it.

Other than that they seemed to be great at adapting the best of what a culture has to offer to suit their needs.