RomanArmyTalk
Star-signs! - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Recreational Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: Star-signs! (/showthread.php?tid=5323)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Star-signs! - Spedius - 04-07-2006

Ave!

I'm a Virgo :oops: , my birthday is on August 30th, and these are the characteristics of my star-sign 8)

The Virgin Virgo

Dates:- From August 23 to September 22

Traditional Virgo Traits

Arrow Modest and shy - I'm a bit unsure about this pair :oops:
Arrow Meticulous and reliable - Yes, these are probably correct. Big Grin
Arrow Practical and diligent - Most of the time :roll:
Arrow Intelligent and analytical - I wish and definitely Smile
Arrow Overcritical and harsh - What me, sir Confusedhock:
Arrow Perfectionist and conservative - Um, 50% right and 50% wrong :?

What is your star sign and how typical are you :?:

I found these details here http://www.vangelis.com.au/zodiac/virgo.asp

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo

Re: Star-signs! - Jeroen Pelgrom - 04-10-2006

We are Gemini :wink: (birthday may 22th)

Traditional Gemini traits:
- Adaptable and versatile - hmm,
- Communicative and witty - not really
- Intellectual and eloquent - correct :wink:
- Youthful and lively - sometimes
- Nervous and tense - I'M NOT NERVOUS!
- Superficial and inconsistent - hmm
- Cunning and inquisitive - hmmm

I'm not really a good gemini but if you want a good one you have to make a personal horoscoop. I have done this with myself and some other persons and they usually more "correct"

Re: Star-signs! - Spedius - 04-10-2006

Quote:We are Gemini :wink: (birthday may 22th)

Ave Jeroen,

Subtle :lol:

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo

signs? - Goffredo - 04-10-2006

Come now...
Star signs?????????

Re: signs? - Spedius - 04-10-2006

Quote:Come now...
Star signs?????????

Ave Goffredo,

Can I take it from your comment that you don't approve :?: :wink:

Where's your sense of fun :?: Big Grin

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo

Re: Star-signs! - Ramesses II - 04-10-2006

Although born on December 22, I'm a Saggitarius. Has got to do something with the standing of the sun at the moment I was born...

Characteristics
- Optimistic and freedom-loving
- Jovial and good-humored
- Honest and straightforward
- Intellectual and philosophical
- Blindly optimistic and careless
- Irresponsible and superficial
- Tactless and restless

Got to admit, it's all me Smile Although the last two don't really match me (irresponsible/superficial and tactless/restless).

Quote:Come now...
Star signs?????????

I don't know if you believe in astrology and those stuff, but I surely hope you don't regard the horoscopes in magazines etc. as star signs Smile In magazines it's just c**p. But the 'real' star signs do have a lot of meaning in your life Wink

Re: Star-signs! - Thiudareiks Flavius - 04-11-2006

Quote:In magazines it's just c**p. But the 'real' star signs do have a lot of meaning in your life.

Yeah, well maybe some Babylonian guys 3000 years ago who thought the earth was flat, the sky was a dome and the stars were gods might have stumbled across something that had 'real meaning' despite their primitive ignorance. Or maybe some people like to see 'meaning' that simply isn't there.

It's not widely known that astrology had dwindled to being a highly obscure subject in the West in the Nineteenth Century, to the point that if you asked most people what their star sign was in 1850, they wouldn't have been able to tell you. It was a newspaper editor in the US who almost single-handedly revived modern interest in astrology when he had a spare column to fill and so invented the newpaper astrology column.

Which is why we now have the rather bizarre situation where perfectly rational, well-educated 21st Century adults actually take astrology seriously, though if you suggested them practicing some other form of ancient Babylonian divination based on equally dubiuous and primitive ideas - like sacrificing a goat and looking at its entrails - they'd be disgusted and scornful.

As a science professor I know once said. 'It's not just that astrology is a stupid idea - there are a lot of stupid ideas around. It's more that of all the stupid ideas a person could possibly believe, astrology is one of THE most monumentally stupid.'

Or my nephew put it a little better. When he was about seven he heard a mention of astrology on TV. He turned to me and asked, 'Uncle Tim, what exactly is astrology?' So I gave him a five minute run-down, as neutrally as possible, to see what his reaction would be. He thought about what I'd said for a couple of seconds and said 'That's the dumbest thing I ever heard.'

Out of the mouths of babes ...

Re: Star-signs! - FAVENTIANVS - 04-11-2006

I'm Gemini [Image: 84669_ga.jpg]
and Tiger! (Chinese horoscope) 16-june-1974.

Re: Star-signs! - Arthes - 04-11-2006

Aquarius 28th January....and also a Chinese Tiger

The Water Carrier Aquarius
January 21 to February 19
Traditional Aquarian Traits

Positive.....
Friendly and humanitarian - yes, most of the time
Honest and loyal - most of the time
Original and inventive - can be if given the chance
Independent and intellectual - definitely
Negative....
Intractable and contrary - admit to it at times
Perverse and unpredictable - not so often
Unemotional and detached - sometimes

Of course these traits are also tempered by the moon sign (and Chinese sign) and going deeper....depending on which week of the sign you are born in.
.. for instance, I may appear unemotional, when trying to hide my feelings.
I have a lot of the general traits, but not all of them...lol
regards
Arthes

Re: Star-signs! - Ramesses II - 04-11-2006

Quote:
Ramesses II:1ru4zlgf Wrote:In magazines it's just c**p. But the 'real' star signs do have a lot of meaning in your life

Yeah, well maybe some Babylonian guys 3000 years ago who thought the earth was flat, the sky was a dome and the stars were gods might have stumbled across something that had 'real meaning' despite their primitive ignorance. Or maybe some people like to see 'meaning' that simply isn't there.

It's not widely known that astrology had dwindled to being a highly obscure subject in the West in the Nineteenth Century, to the point that if you asked most people what their star sign was in 1850, they wouldn't have been able to tell you. It was a newspaper editor in the US who almost single-handedly revived modern interest in astrology when he had a spare column to fill and so invented the newpaper astrology column.

Which is why we now have the rather bizarre situation where perfectly rational, well-educated 21st Century adults actually take astrology seriously, though if you suggested them practicing some other form of ancient Babylonian divination based on equally dubiuous and primitive ideas - like sacrificing a goat and looking at its entrails - they'd be disgusted and scornful.

As a science professor I know once said. 'It's not just that astrology is a stupid idea - there are a lot of stupid ideas around. It's more that of all the stupid ideas a person could possibly believe, astrology is one of THE most monumentally stupid.'

Or my nephew put it a little better. When he was about seven he heard a mention of astrology on TV. He turned to me and asked, 'Uncle Tim, what exactly is astrology?' So I gave him a five minute run-down, as neutrally as possible, to see what his reaction would be. He thought about what I'd said for a couple of seconds and said 'That's the dumbest thing I ever heard.'

Out of the mouths of babes ...

Well I don't believe in god(s) or whatever, but I strongly believe in astrology. I don't believe science can explain everything. Scientists call something 'not worth to mention' or 'silly' or 'stupid' when it can't be explained. But then I ask: does it really have to be explained ?
I believe there is a reason for everything that happens, I do believe that there is no such thing as coincidence. Astrology isn't just the star signs, astrology is also tarot (don't know if that's the correct English word), reincarnation, meditation, reiki, and so on.

I believe there's more than one thing in life. I can't believe you live for nothing, without a reason. That's something science can't explain, the question why we live. Questions like why family is our family, why we feel good in certain situations with friends, why we feel bad about something else.

Some say it's stupid, ok fine by me. You don't have to believe. But then I can't stand it when people blindly trust every word that science says and judge the ones that do believe there is something more. I don't want to say something offensive, but to me it's a stupid thing to look not father than your nose is long (as we say here in Belgium). Meaning that there is more than you can see.

science - Caius Fabius - 04-11-2006

Science is only man's attempt to explain how the universe works, from his or her own observations. Just because a scientist says something is a "fact" doesn't mean that the observation was complete or the results interpreted correctly.

Re: Star-signs! - Arthes - 04-11-2006

Science is the art of looking for the reasons .....
if reasons cannot be found....then it is dismissed as a scientific impossibility, a myth.
I am rather a philosopher in the respect of sometimes reading science into mythology and ancient writings and wondering what the truth behind it was. A contrary Aquarian...believing in both the mystical/supernatural and scientific/factual.... :roll:
Lets look at the truth behind many attempts to dismiss natural remedies or holistic/spiritual healing as hookum.....plain and simple....money.
If people use safe natural healing and remedies.....they don't use doctors, dentists, medicines from the huge pharmaceutical companies...
Its the same with science....and religion...I read somewhere that if people knew the truth about the supernatural and the afterlife....religion could become obsolete or even abhored for the attempts to scare people into following one or the other paths...by the simple threat of everlasting torment in one form or another...and some religions condemn astrology and astronomy as alchemy...the works of the devil or whoever...( 'fallen angels' or extra terrestrial, according to The Book of Enoch - Semjaza taught enchantments, and root-cuttings, 'Armaros the resolving of enchantments, Baraqijal (taught) astrology, Kokabel the constellations, Ezeqeel the knowledge of the clouds, Araqiel the signs of the earth, Shamsiel the signs of the sun, and Sariel the course of the moon.)
Astrology and Astronomy have been in use for millenia - the planets and the stars affect our world and our lives...the moon regulates the tides of the ocean....why should it not regulate certain tides of human life.
If it was not for another 'fallen angel' Azazel, we would not be here in RAT ...
he taught men to make swords, and knives, and shields, and breastplates, and made known to them the metals of the earth and the art of working them, and bracelets, and ornaments, and the use of antimony, and the beautifying of the eyelids, and all kinds of costly stones, and all colouring tinctures.
regards
Arthes (in typical Aquarian mode)

Re: Star-signs! - Thiudareiks Flavius - 04-12-2006

Quote: I don't believe science can explain everything.

Neither do I. Neither do any scientists. Science, however, has a pretty good track record when it comes to explaining things about the physical universe. And that includes constellations, the sun, the moon and any supposed 'influences' these things are meant to have on us the millisecond we pop out of our mothers.

Quote:Scientists call something 'not worth to mention' or 'silly' or 'stupid' when it can't be explained.

Actually, scientists usually call unexplained things 'interesting' or 'intriguing' or 'an opportunity for research'. Unless of course it actually has a perfect rational explanation, but some people insist on giving it a silly one anyway.

Quote:Astrology isn't just the star signs, astrology is also tarot (don't know if that's the correct English word), reincarnation, meditation, reiki, and so on.

That's a pretty broad definition of 'astrology'. Let's stick to the 'star sign' stuff for the sake of conciseness.

Quote:I can't believe you live for nothing, without a reason. That's something science can't explain, the question why we live. Questions like why family is our family, why we feel good in certain situations with friends, why we feel bad about something else.

Because these things are outside the scope of science, just as aesthetics, theology, most philosophy and many other things are as well. The supposed 'influence' of constellations and planets, however, is not.

Quote:But then I can't stand it when people blindly trust every word that science says ...

Neither can I.

Quote:Science is only man's attempt to explain how the universe works, from his or her own observations.

'Only'? It something that is 'only' this, it seems to do a pretty good job. Thus our having this conversation on the internet and not on a series of clay tablets.

Quote:Just because a scientist says something is a "fact" doesn't mean that the observation was complete or the results interpreted correctly.

No, which is why the self-correcting mechanisms in the scientific method make it so powerful.

Quote:if reasons cannot be found....then it is dismissed as a scientific impossibility, a myth.

Nope, if the reasons can't be found, then scientists go on looking for the reasons. Unless, of course, there is a perfectly good explanation which means there aren't any reasons to be found. Like people insisting on using a Babylonian superstition to 'find' patterns that simply aren't there.

Quote:the moon regulates the tides of the ocean....why should it not regulate certain tides of human life.

Because we know how and why the moon regulates the tides - the different gravitational effects of the moon according to their vectors in relation to the geopotential surface of the unbounded water mass of the ocean. The physics of how the moon's gravity affects humans is totally different: the mass of a mother's body when holding her newborn child exerts about 12 million times more gravitational force than the moon at the same moment. A mosquito landing on your arm exerts more gravitational force than the moon at the same time.

So why does astrology single out the (supposed) tiny 'force' or 'influence' of bodies like the moon and sun at birth, and ignore the vastly greater force exerted by the proximity of the child's mother, a doctor, a midwife, some nurses or even a passing mosquito? And it gets even sillier when the 'force' of distant constellations supposedly needs to be factored in, despite the fact (i) they are millions of light years away and (ii) they aren't actually groups of stars anyway, they just look that way from earth.

Sorry if you don't like people pointing out how silly all this is or that the far more likely explanation is that the Babylonians were as 'right' about astrology as they were about the flatness of the earth or the usefulness of consulting goat entrails, but by any objective measure astrology is manifestly silly.

baloney detection list - Goffredo - 04-13-2006

For some this list will be useful. Check it out

http://www.physics.smu.edu/%7Epseudo/baloney.html

Re: Star-signs! - Ramesses II - 04-13-2006

Quote:
Ramesses II:2in3g2q7 Wrote:I don't believe science can explain everything.

Neither do I. Neither do any scientists. Science, however, has a pretty good track record when it comes to explaining things about the physical universe. And that includes constellations, the sun, the moon and any supposed 'influences' these things are meant to have on us the millisecond we pop out of our mothers.

Right, the physical universe. The non-physical stuff they can barely explain.

Quote:
Quote:the moon regulates the tides of the ocean....why should it not regulate certain tides of human life.

Because we know how and why the moon regulates the tides - the different gravitational effects of the moon according to their vectors in relation to the geopotential surface of the unbounded water mass of the ocean. The physics of how the moon's gravity affects humans is totally different: the mass of a mother's body when holding her newborn child exerts about 12 million times more gravitational force than the moon at the same moment. A mosquito landing on your arm exerts more gravitational force than the moon at the same time.

So why does astrology single out the (supposed) tiny 'force' or 'influence' of bodies like the moon and sun at birth, and ignore the vastly greater force exerted by the proximity of the child's mother, a doctor, a midwife, some nurses or even a passing mosquito? And it gets even sillier when the 'force' of distant constellations supposedly needs to be factored in, despite the fact (i) they are millions of light years away and (ii) they aren't actually groups of stars anyway, they just look that way from earth.

Sorry if you don't like people pointing out how silly all this is or that the far more likely explanation is that the Babylonians were as 'right' about astrology as they were about the flatness of the earth or the usefulness of consulting goat entrails, but by any objective measure astrology is manifestly silly.

A civilization that used the astrology extremely well were the Egyptians. Can science explain the influence of Orion on men, especially those who build the Great Pyramids of Gizeh perfectly matching together perfectly according to Orion ? What is Orion ? Right ... 'stars' to us.

Quote:
Ramesses II:2in3g2q7 Wrote:Astrology isn't just the star signs, astrology is also tarot (don't know if that's the correct English word), reincarnation, meditation, reiki, and so on.

That's a pretty broad definition of 'astrology'. Let's stick to the 'star sign' stuff for the sake of conciseness.

Fine by me, but then you don't have to say astrology is dumb, then you can say 'start signs are dumb.' Partly I give you right, many people take advantage of men's stupidity to make them believe stuff than are simply made up, like you say. But that are the magazine-horoscopes. Please do not compare magazine-horoscopes with the ones that are made by "professionals" (if I can call them that way). A friend of my mother made a horoscope just after when I was born, she said things about my character and stuff, things no one could know because I was a week old or so. Well after this 18 years, 90% of the stuff she said then seemed to be perfectly right. Horoscopes are made up and have no influence?