RomanArmyTalk
Boudicca aka Boadicea! - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: References & Reviews (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Boudicca aka Boadicea! (/showthread.php?tid=5307)

Pages: 1 2

Boudicca aka Boadicea! - Spedius - 04-06-2006

Ave!

After considerable deliberation it would seem to make sense to isolate the components relating to Boudicca previously included in "Imperial Governor".

Please bear with me as, initially, I post items here from "Imperial Governor". The Boudicca items will not be deleted from the "Imperial Governor" thread so that continuity is preserved.

The main reason for this decision is that, once separated, this thread can be expanded to include more facets.

This thread will include novels and factual books, pictures, articles, films and TV, music, poems, parodies and everything that I, and hopefully you, can find relating to Boudicca and her revolt.

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo

Re: Boudicca aka Boadicea! - Spedius - 04-06-2006

Ave!

Here is the first item to be today's offering.

"320. Boadicea: An Ode

William Cowper (1731–1800)

WHEN the British warrior queen,
Bleeding from the Roman rods,
Sought, with an indignant mien,
Counsel of her country’s gods,

Sage beneath a spreading oak
Sat the Druid, hoary chief;
Every burning word he spoke
Full of rage, and full of grief.

‘Princess! if our aged eyes
Weep upon thy matchless wrongs,
’Tis because resentment ties
All the terrors of our tongues.

‘Rome shall perish—write that word
In the blood that she has spilt;
Perish, hopeless and abhorred,
Deep in ruin as in guilt.

‘Rome, for empire far renowned,
Tramples on a thousand states;
Soon her pride shall kiss the ground—
Hark! the Gaul is at her gates!

‘Other Romans shall arise,
Heedless of a soldier’s name;
Sounds, not arms, shall win the prize—
Harmony the path to fame.

‘Then the progeny that springs
From the forests of our land,
Armed with thunder, clad with wings,
Shall a wider world command.

‘Regions Cæsar never knew
Thy posterity shall sway,
Where his eagles never flew,
None invincible as they.’

Such the bard’s prophetic words,
Pregnant with celestial fire,
Bending, as he swept the chords
Of his sweet but awful lyre.

She, with all a monarch’s pride,
Felt them in her bosom glow;
Rushed to battle, fought, and died;
Dying, hurled them at the foe.

‘Ruffians, pitiless as proud,
Heaven awards the vengeance due:
Empire is on us bestowed,
Shame and ruin wait for you.
"

I found the poem here http://www.bartleby.com/41/320.html

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo

Re: Boudicca aka Boadicea! - Spedius - 04-06-2006

Ave!

Here is the second item to be replicated.

This is Boudicca and her daughters, by J. Havard Thomas as portrayed in the Civic Hall, Cardiff.

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo

Boudica series by Manda Scott - Viventius - 04-06-2006

Manda Scott has written four books about the Boudica as she is called in the novels. For me, the novels are too mystical, and the story could have been told in perhaps in three short books rather than four long ones. But they undoubtedly appeal to others, so it's worth including Scott's web address: http://www.mandascott.co.uk/home.htm

Reviews:

first book:
http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/book ... 134698.ece
http://www.bookreporter.com/reviews/0385336705.asp

third book:
http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/book ... e10471.ece

fouth book: http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/book ... 345847.ece

Re: Boudicca aka Boadicea! - Arthes - 04-06-2006

My alltime favourite Boudicca book is The Eagle and The Raven, by Pauline Gedge....the description of the slaughter of her people had me in tears more than once...
Spanning from the generation of Caradoc through to Boudicca....it's well written and extremely evocative......well worth reading....
[url:eew3v5om]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0385270380/104-7255506-0504746?v=glance&n=283155[/url]
regards
Arthes

Re: Boudicca aka Boadicea! - Spedius - 04-07-2006

Ave Viventius/Sandra,

Welcome back, I do hope your report writing is now over?

Once again your diligence in finding related items and links is second to none, thank you.

There is little that I can add to the reviews included in your links.

But here is a little snippet that I did manage to find.

"About Manda Scott

Manda Scott is a veterinary surgeon, writer and climber, not necessarily in that order. Born and educated in Scotland, she trained at the Glasgow Vet School and now lives and works in Suffolk, sharing her life with two lurchers and other assorted wildlife. She is known primarily as a crime writer. Her first novel, Hen's Teeth, hailed by Fay Weldon as 'a new voice for a new world' was shortlisted for the 1997 Orange Prize. Her subsequent novels, Night Mares, Stronger than Death and No Good Deed, for which she was hailed as 'one of Britain's most important crime writers' by The Times, are published by Headline.

The Boudica series are her first historical novels. They are, she says, the books she was born to write
."

Here also is the cover of the first of her "Boudica" novels.

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo

Ave!

Here is the cover for the second book in Manda Scott's "Boudica" series.

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo

Ave!

Here is the cover for the third book in Manda Scott's "Boudica" series.

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo

Ave!

Here is the cover for the fourth book in Manda Scott's "Boudica" series.

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo

Quote:My alltime favourite Boudicca book is The Eagle and The Raven, by Pauline Gedge....the description of the slaughter of her people had me in tears more than once...
Spanning from the generation of Caradoc through to Boudicca....it's well written and extremely evocative......well worth reading....
[url:uhmctur3]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0385270380/104-7255506-0504746?v=glance&n=283155[/url]
regards
Arthes

Ave Arthes,

Thank you for your message, welcome to the thread.

Great link, it produced 25 reviews, check them out.

I too have Pauline Gedge's "The Eagle and the Raven" in my collection. My book was published by Penquin in 1981, ISBN 0-14-00.5374-3, 828 pages, with an evocative cover illustration by George Underwood.

The back cover says:-

"They were a people fashioned out of myth and legend.

Arrogant and proud they were, and their own masters. Their women were skilled in sword, their children fighters, their priests steeped in old and powerful rituals. Among them walked Caradoc, Aviragus, lord of life and death, and Boudicca, magnificent queen, and fierce and terrible warrior.

And then Rome turned its iron-lidded gaze on Albion, and these men and women were doomed to fight, and run, and fight again.
"

There follows three reviews:

"A big book in all senses of the word, which I find gripping and deeply moving in the reading, and haunting afterwards" - Rosemary Sutcliff

"Bravely done" - Financial Times

"It makes you want to keep turning over the pages" - Daily Telegraph

"About Pauline Gedge

Pauline Gedge is the award-winning author of the bestselling titles Child of the Morning, The Twelfth Transforming, Scroll of Saqqara, House of Dreams, House of Illusions and The Eagle and the Raven. Her superb ability to bring ancient civilisation to life has gained her millions of fans world-wide. Pauline Gedge lives in Alberta, Canada.
"

Attached is an alternative cover for her book.

I have enjoyed reading and recommend this book.

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo

Ave!

Further to my last post, I inititiated a search at http://used.addall.com/ and found 142 examples, amongst which were these details.

"Scarborough, Ontario, Canada.: Signet Book - NAL / New American Library, 1979. 744 pages. "Warrior-Queen. She defined the brutal might and seductive corruption of an Imperial Rome invading her land and enslaving her people. She defined the command of the King, her husband, not to resist the ravishment of her realm. She defied all the odds and every toboo against a woman when she exchanged her royal robes for armour and her sceptre for a sword. She was the flame-haired Boudicca, Queen of the Britons, whose passion and pride lit up the mysterious world of the ancient Celts - in a magnificent saga pulsing with love and jealousy, conflict and intrigue, loyalty and betrayal,and fiery, daring rebellion...". First Paperback Ed. & 1st Printing!. Soft Cover. Very Good to Fine. Illus. by Painted Cover Art!. 12mo - over 6¾" - 7¾" Tall.. Mass Market Paperback.."

" U.S. A Popular Library 1980 1st. Printing Mass Market Paperback Good. No Jacket as Issued 12mo-over 6¾"-7¾" tall. Heiress of Honor Her name was Boudicca. Beautiful, high-born, with her flaming red hair matched by her fiery spirit, she was held in check only by the caution of her royal husband as the legions of Imperial Rome under Claudius Caesar marched over Britain. But as the English rebel chiefs fell, one by one, only Boudicca was left to lead a desperate people in history's proudest and most passionate fight for freedom. Here is a tremendous epic that sweeps from the valleys and mountains of still barbaric Britain to the classic grandeur and corruption of Claudius's Rome. Here is an unforgettable drama of a warrior queen torn between love and destiny, as she laid aside her woman's robes and lifted high her sword. "A stirring saga! "-Kirkus Reviews "A novel of majestic sweep, splendid assurance and imaginative power. '-Publishers Weekly POPULAR LIBRARY. "

I also googled George Underwood, artist and found this http://www.georgeunderwood.com/pages/Welcome/43 but no image of his book cover.

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo

Re: Boudicca aka Boadicea! - Robert Vermaat - 04-07-2006

My favorites are two young adult books:

Henry Treece (1956): The queen’s brooch, London: Hamilton
Rosemary Sutcliff (1978): Song for a dark queen, London: Pelham

For a list of novels about Boudicca look here.

Especially Treece's book which I read when very young, made a big impression on me, because it is very graphic and anti-war. Sutcliff's heroes (which I admire very much!) are most often noble or they land on their feet. Marcus, hero of Treece's book, starts as a Roman soldier but becomes very disgusted with war by the end of the book, due to his treatment by Britons and Romans alike.

Re: Boudicca aka Boadicea! - Carlton Bach - 04-07-2006

Spedius\\n[quote]
Pauline Gedge is the award-winning author of the bestselling titles Child of the Morning, The Twelfth Transforming, Scroll of Saqqara, House of Dreams, House of Illusions and The Eagle and the Raven. Her superb ability to bring ancient civilisation to life has gained her millions of fans world-wide. Pauline Gedge lives in Alberta, Canada."

Attached is an alternative cover for her book.

[quote]

The book may well be quite good, but the cover would put me off. How do we get away with using late animal style and Viking-inspired Irish knotwork for a Roman Iron Age English queen?

Quote:My favorites are two young adult books:
Henry Treece (1956): The queen’s brooch, London: Hamilton
Rosemary Sutcliff (1978): Song for a dark queen, London: Pelham
For a list of novels about Boudicca look here.
Especially Treece's book which I read when very young, made a big impression on me, because it is very graphic and anti-war. Sutcliff's heroes (which I admire very much!) are most often noble or they land on their feet. Marcus, hero of Treece's book, starts as a Roman soldier but becomes very disgusted with war by the end of the book, due to his treatment by Britons and Romans alike.

Ave Robert,

Thank you very much for your comments and the link.

You are most welcome to the thread.

I have both of these on my bookshelves too although I've not read either for many years.

Henry Treece's "The Queen's Brooch" published in paperback by Puffin in 1969, my copy is severly battered.

This from the back cover:-

"The first time Marcus met Queen Boudicca he thought she was going to ride him down on her black horse. Then she stopped and stared at him silently. "This is not your road , but it is mine." Then she gave him a brooch as her token.

Years later Marcus met the Queen again, but times were different now, and a harsh and bloody battle lay in store.
"

Rosemary Sutcliff's "Song For A Dark Queen" published in paperback by Knight Books in 1987, ISBN 0-340-24864-5, my copy is in mint condition.

This from the back cover:-

"I suppose if she has the victory tomorrow, they'll make a song for her to sing for a thousand years..."

"So wrote the young Roman, Julius Agricola, on the eve of the great battle which was to change the face of the future. For 'she' was none other than Boudicca, or Boadicea, defiant queen of the Iceni, who had already led her small British tribe in rebellion against the dark might of the Roman invaders. Mow she had summoned the War Host together, from all over Britain, determined to lead them towards the light, to freedom...
"

"Rosemary Sutcliff is one of today's foremost historical novelists. SONG FOR A DARK QUEEN won the 1978 Other Award for 'a non-biased children's book of literary merit'."

A review.

"Superbly exciting... Masterly... Skilful" The Times Literary Supplement

The covers of both books are attached.

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo

Ave Robert,

Here is an alternative cover for Rosemary Sutcliff's "Song For A Dark Queen".

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo