RomanArmyTalk
Sagum Mania! - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Sagum Mania! (/showthread.php?tid=5171)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Sagum Mania! - Franklin - 03-23-2006

The late roman soldiers in books always look so suave, but I can't get my sagum to hang correctly!

What are the dimensions of your sagum? (plural? sagae?) And is there some magic as to how you should pin it?

Re: Sagum Mania! - Franklin - 03-23-2006

Related to this is my query on brooches.

Re: Sagum Mania! - caiusbeerquitius - 03-23-2006

My sagum is almost 2m long, and about 2.8m wide. For wearing a sagum properly you have to fold the upper third backwards, then put it over your left shoulder, so that the sagum just does not touch the ground in front of your left foot. Then take it over your right shoulder and fix it with a fibula.
See:www.populares-vindelicenses.de/galerie/2005/ehrenberg/10.jpg

Re: Sagum Mania! - Robert Vermaat - 03-23-2006

[Image: vechten2004juli1.jpg]

Re: Sagum Mania! - John M McDermott - 03-23-2006

Here is my effort, copied from Rhineland grave steles. There are unsolved mysteries as to the wearing of the sagum.

[Image: Picture124.jpg]

Re: Sagum Mania! - aitor iriarte - 03-24-2006

Here is my chlamys:
[Image: mantle.jpg]
After much struggle, I think that the late Roman mantle wasn't a rectangle but an oval folded in two... The will be one of my next experiments... :wink:

Aitor

Re: Sagum Mania! - Franklin - 03-24-2006

Quote:Here is my chlamys:
After much struggle, I think that the late Roman mantle wasn't a rectangle but an oval folded in two... The will be one of my next experiments... :wink:

Aitor

Thank you! I've been arguing that with friends for months.

Re: Sagum Mania! - Robert Vermaat - 03-24-2006

Quote:After much struggle, I think that the late Roman mantle wasn't a rectangle but an oval folded in two... The will be one of my next experiments...
Me too!

Quote:Here is my chlamys:
I think that the late Roman mantle wasn't a rectangle but an oval folded in two...

Aitor

Or perhaps just a semicircle/half-oval to begin with?

Re: Sagum Mania! - tlclark - 03-24-2006

Anybody got a 5th or 6th C. trapezoidal shaped cloak with tablion?

I am about to cut mine and I was wondering if anyone had any tips.

Travis

Quote:Anybody got a 5th or 6th C. trapezoidal shaped cloak with tablion?

I am about to cut mine and I was wondering if anyone had any tips.

Travis

Looks like Aitor would be your go-to man for this, although I believe he has stated that his is rectangular instead of trapezoidal. Aitor, correct me if I'm wrong?

Re: Sagum Mania! - Robert Vermaat - 03-24-2006

Aitor's out of touch until Monday (if all's well he'll be asleep in The Netherlands this evening Big Grin ). I think Aitor has a rectangle. I'll check it for you tomorrow when we'll meet up.

Quote:Aitor's out of touch until Monday (if all's well he'll be asleep in The Netherlands this evening Big Grin ). I think Aitor has a rectangle. I'll check it for you tomorrow when we'll meet up.

::jealous::

Re: Sagum Mania! - Tarbicus - 03-24-2006

Quote:Aitor's out of touch until Monday

Does this mean that by Tuesday he'll have realised 'Bohemian Rhapsody' is no longer #1 in the charts, and polyester trousers really do go 'whoomph!' when they catch fire?

Re: Sagum Mania! - Robert Vermaat - 03-25-2006

Quote:
Vortigern Studies:uxn4zh39 Wrote:Aitor's out of touch until Monday
Does this mean that by Tuesday he'll have realised 'Bohemian Rhapsody' is no longer #1 in the charts, and polyester trousers really do go 'whoomph!' when they catch fire?
Not from personal experience I hope... Big Grin
yes, Aitor has a rectangle. His next project will be an oval-shaped one, folded double. Stuff from Cacauis it seems, 6m by 1.5 m...