RomanArmyTalk
Vindolanda Fishnet Boot - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Vindolanda Fishnet Boot (/showthread.php?tid=4946)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Vindolanda Fishnet Boot - Martin Moser - 03-10-2006

Hi,

finished my first attempt at one of the shoes found in Vindolanda. This is based on find no. L1568, supposedly coming from the prefect's houshold and thus dated to the late 1st century AD. Cf. Driel-Murray, C. van, John Peter Wild et al.: Vindolanda. Research Reports, New Series. Vol. III The Early Wooden Forts. 1993, Fig. 19 and pp46~ esp.

As you can see in the first pic the shoe came out a little bit too small for me due to the last I was using, but the effort I think was worth it, as I never had attempted a lasted shoe before. Somehow my pairs of shoes alwys seem to take three pieces to make ... Undecided

[Image: Fishnet01.jpg]

2 more shots with the shoes stuffed with white paper to better bring out the openwork

[Image: Fishnet03.jpg]
[Image: Fishnet04.jpg]

Re: Vindolanda Fishnet Boot - Primvs Pavlvs - 03-10-2006

Martin!

WOW Confusedhock:

Re: Vindolanda Fishnet Boot - Flavius Promotus - 03-10-2006

Looks like a LOT of work!

Re: Vindolanda Fishnet Boot - Primvs Pavlvs - 03-10-2006

Sorry meant to be a PM :oops:

Re: Vindolanda Fishnet Boot - Virilis - 03-10-2006

Awesome, Martin!

Is there anything you CAN`T do!?

Re: Vindolanda Fishnet Boot - Tarbicus - 03-10-2006

Quote:Looks like a LOT of work!

Nah. He only finished his caligae the other day. 4 days it took him, I reckon :wink:

Re: Vindolanda Fishnet Boot - Arthes - 03-10-2006

Those boots are bootiful....... :wink:
I can honestly say I prefer some ancient styles to modern footware....they were far more ornate and interesting....no wonder the fashion trends are now looking backwards for inspiration !
(who was yesterday oogling some wedge sole gilded sandals that would have not looked out of place on Cleopatra's tootsies....) That is 'the' well known Cleopatra VII.....not Alexander's sister!
regards
Arthes

Re: Vindolanda Fishnet Boot - Peroni - 03-10-2006

I just have to echo the previous posts by saying what exquisite workmanship UMMOS!! Big Grin

Did you train as a shoemaker or is it all self taught?

Regards,

Re: Vindolanda Fishnet Boot - Martin Moser - 03-10-2006

Quote:Why you haven't put in the list of persons in marketplace?

I can't even make shoes that fit myself (at least with the first try ;-) ) ) and you want me to go out and sell some ... :-) ) . No, seriously, I am willing to make shoes and other things for others as well, but I don't want to make this into a kind of business at the moment (also if I do this I would want to deliver very good quality in terms of workmanship and I do not trust myself on this completely yet ...).

@Peroni - no, I'm not a shoemaker, just trying things out. I did ask real shoemakers about their opinion with my first pair of caligae, though, and plan to take that boot to a shoemaker and ask him for tips. Among the most important things this hobby taught me is that you can do a lot of things if you only aim to do good research on what you plan and then simply give it a try. There's lots of helpful people about.

So, I hope nos. 2 & 3 will be fitting better then ...

Wow! - Neuraleanus - 03-10-2006

Did you carve your own last or did you purchase it?

First ever post! - Franklin - 03-10-2006

Amazing boot, brother.

I've actually toured Vindolanda, and my favorite room in the museum was the one with piles and piles of these open-work sandals. I remember my professor explaining that the owners wore brightly contrasting socks to accentuate the details. Food for thought.

Re: First ever post! - Arthes - 03-11-2006

Quote:Amazing boot, brother.
I remember my professor explaining that the owners wore brightly contrasting socks to accentuate the details. Food for thought.
and at one time, we used to think everything was dull and murky colours back then....!
Imagines Julius Caesar going into battle with red wooly socks dyed to match his tunic and gilded boots to match his cuirass and helm.....!
'Hey Jules, like the socks.....'
regards
Arthes

Re: Vindolanda Fishnet Boot - FAVENTIANVS - 03-11-2006

Awesome!

Re: Wow! - Martin Moser - 03-11-2006

Hi,

Quote:Did you carve your own last or did you purchase it?

I used a standard one, with not to much of a heel lift. I was sceptic because of this, but it does work out in the end. I plan, however, to make my own in the future, based on the find from Rottweil, as I want to include shoemaking into our range of presentations. Sometime this year hopefully ...

About the socks, yes, that certainly makes sense and van Driel-Murray put this idea forward in her writing about those finds (op. cit.). Note however, that to my knowledge this is only an assumption (both logic and intriguing), not a fact.

Re: Vindolanda Fishnet Boot - Caballo - 03-11-2006

Why stop at red socks? Big Grin

"The NÃ¥lbinding socks from Egypt shown here are especially interesting because they made the socks with a separate toe to accommodate the thong for their sandals. This is a child's sock done in red, blue, green, yellow, and violet wool." (Sixth century)
http://willadsenfamily.org/sca/isabel_a ... /socks.htm

And- of course- congratulations on the amazing work!!