RomanArmyTalk
Weapons of Gladiators - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ancient Combat Sports (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Weapons of Gladiators (/showthread.php?tid=4879)

Weapons of Gladiators - adamparsons - 02-28-2006

Hi all,
I have a query for you all-
Does anyone have any pictures or know of any examples of actual Gladiatorial (or what are thought to be might be a better way of putting it) Gladius's.

I have seen lots of information from various groups and individuals purporting the use of a unique arena blade with flaring blade, larger circular lower guard and smaller pommel, but wondered what this was based on?

I have looked at various mosaic's and sculptures, but most are a bit ambiguous, though some earlier republican period images/sculptures swords look more like the standard hispaniensis, but obviously there are several problems with this and wondered if anyone knew any better?

cheers
Adam

Re: Weapons of Gladiators - adamparsons - 03-01-2006

If anyone could even point me in the direction of some sculptures I might not have seen showing reasonably good blade/hilt depiction that would be great?
cheers all
Adam

Re: Weapons of Gladiators - Conal - 03-01-2006

Adam

I have Googled variations of Gladiator ( Gladiatoren, Gladiateur, Gladiators, Gladiator's, Secutor, Mirmillo, Myrmillo, Murmillo, Thracian, Thraex, etc etc etc ) but have yet to find anything other than what I have seen in books ... that it appears that as you have deduced military swords were used initially and that at some point , probably Augustan in date special Gladiator swords appeared.

There are some paintings from Pompeii which purport to show hilts but these are early reproductions/copies and IIRC the originals are now long gone so it is hard to rely on them. Look for oil lamps as they sometimes depict arms only.

Have you got a copy of Das Spiel Mit dem Tod by Marcus Junkleman ? Its worth buying even if you cant read German as there are some interesting takes on later swords.

Conal

Its definately on my 'to buy' list. How much could I pick up a copy for? I haven't seem one on ABE yet since I have been looking.

I think that I exactly what I am concluding- as it (the gladiator "thing")grows as a sport/spectacle then the equipment becomes much more removed from the military equivalents, and they evolve along seperate lines, specifically for the 1 on 1 arena combat scenario.

Suppose that probably sounds rather obvious and boring, but its trying to link it to the evidence.

Adam

Re: Weapons of Gladiators - Conal - 03-01-2006

http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/3 ... 52-6101057

This link should get you there.

Conal

Awesome. Cheers, I will be purchasing that as soon as possible. I have a friend who speaks German so she may be able to translate any bits I really need too!

Adam

Re: Weapons of Gladiators - Martin Moser - 03-01-2006

Quote:I have a friend who speaks German so she may be able to translate any bits I really need too

If need be drop me a PM and let tell me what you want to know, I'll translate it for you (I have the book) :-) )

Re: Weapons of Gladiators - adamparsons - 03-02-2006

Thanks Martin thats really kind, a karma is heading your way, I may take you up on that in the future. I also have a English/German/Norwegian Archaeological terminology dictionary which I bought in Oslo- A bizarre book, but incredible usefull for caption interpreting!

Adam

Re: Weapons of Gladiators - Medusa Gladiatrix - 03-07-2006

In case Martin's not there or lacks time to translate I would help you, too since I also have that book.

Parts of Marcus Junkelmann's book also appear in an article in the catalog to the exhibition "Caesaren und Gladiatoren - Die Macht der Unterhaltung im antiken Rom". And this has been published even in English:

Eckart Köhne, Cornelia Ewigleben (editors), Gladiators and Caesars: The Power of Spectacle in Ancient Rome, University of California Press: Berkeley, 2000

From Pp. 31-74 you will find the Junkelmann article "Familia Gladiatoria: the heroes of the amphitheater". Of course it's only a very rough summary of his book but maybe it helps you already with your question.

Re: Weapons of Gladiators - adamparsons - 03-08-2006

cheers for the offer Gaia,
I have gladiators and caesars- its pretty much my bible at the moment!
For those of you who have a copy does Das Spiel Mit dem Tod have a lot of pictures of source material-original equipment/illustrations etc.

The gladiators and caesars book is great, but I need more!!!! As is always the way!

thanks
Adam

Re: Weapons of Gladiators - Martin Moser - 03-08-2006

Quote:For those of you who have a copy does Das Spiel Mit dem Tod have a lot of pictures of source material-original equipment/illustrations etc.

I guess it is pretty much the best catalog like collection of original items you can get at the moment, together with reconstructions. All the originals have been measured and weighed. A definite must have.

Re: Weapons of Gladiators - Medusa Gladiatrix - 03-09-2006

Salve Adam,

Quote:cheers for the offer Gaia,
I have gladiators and caesars- its pretty much my bible at the moment!
For those of you who have a copy does Das Spiel Mit dem Tod have a lot of pictures of source material-original equipment/illustrations etc.

The gladiators and caesars book is great, but I need more!!!! As is always the way!

thanks
Adam

Das Spiel mit dem Tod is my bible in all gladiator things. I can understand you that you need more, it's the same with me, too. The more you dig into a certain topic there more you wanna know. Big Grin

Re: Weapons of Gladiators - adamparsons - 03-27-2006

Oooooo- my copy of Das Spiel mit dem Tod arrived this morning courtesy of Martin! (you are a superstar- everyone give him Karma!)

Wow- I think I will start and learn German just so I can read it.

What a book! The pictures alone are worth twice the price!

Adam