RomanArmyTalk
Light Infantry Shield and Gladius Grip - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Light Infantry Shield and Gladius Grip (/showthread.php?tid=4878)

Light Infantry Shield and Gladius Grip - Primvs Pavlvs - 02-28-2006

These are a couple projects that I have been working on for the past couple of weeks.

The shield is based on some discussions I have had with Dan Peterson on legionary light infantry. The dimensions are based on a extant shield cover ( I forget the name) its roughly 50x24 inches. Its made from 1/2 inch plywood with a linen canvas cover on the front and edged with leather. The back was scored to give the appearance of being constructed with planks. As you can see I have yet to add the brass plaques between the wings. I will be adding those this week, as soon as I get some proper rivets. I plan on stitching the leather to the shield, and adding a leather wrap on the grip also. There is approx. 20 hours of work in this shield from start until this stage. I estimate another 2 hours for completion.

Re: Light Infantry Shield and Gladius Grip - Primvs Pavlvs - 02-28-2006

The grip was carved using my belt sander and a half round wood rasp from a cow bone purchased at my local pet store. I polished it with 120 grit sandpaper, and a piece of rough leather. I then soaked it for several hours in hot tea to give it some patina. I have around 3 hours work in this piece from start to finish.

Re: Light Infantry Shield and Gladius Grip - FAVENTIANVS - 02-28-2006

Very good work! I'm finishing my oval shield as well.

Re: Light Infantry Shield and Gladius Grip - Magnus - 02-28-2006

Great job! I like the aged look you did with the bone.

re - Johnny Shumate - 02-28-2006

That looks great..!
Give us more information on "Light Legionary Infantry".
What type of armor..?
Thanks,
Johnny

Re: Light Infantry Shield and Gladius Grip - FAVENTIANVS - 02-28-2006

Wheren't they, the antesignani, some kinda heirs of the ancient velites?
Light infantry, with less armor, well trained for skirmishing.

Re: Light Infantry Shield and Gladius Grip - Dan Diffendale - 02-28-2006

Nice job! How heavy did it turn out to be?

Re: Light Infantry Shield and Gladius Grip - Primvs Pavlvs - 02-28-2006

It weighs somewhere around 12 lbs

Shield cover - Peroni - 03-01-2006

Salve,

The name of the shield cover is 'Tegimen' Big Grin Dan was probably refering to one of the Valkenberg finds.

Which historical source did you get the 1/2" board thickness from?

Regards,

Re: Shield cover - Primvs Pavlvs - 03-01-2006

Quote:Salve,

The name of the shield cover is 'Tegimen' Big Grin Dan was probably refering to one of the Valkenberg finds.

Which historical source did you get the 1/2" board thickness from?

Regards,

Thanks for the information! Do you know is there is a catalog available for these finds?

1/2 is what I had available, it is not based on anything historical as far as I know.

Re: Light Infantry Shield and Gladius Grip - Peroni - 03-01-2006

I believe Carol van Driel Murray published the work on the Valkenberg finds.

I do not have the paper, but I'm certain Jasper will know the details.

Regards,

Re: Light Infantry Shield and Gladius Grip - Martin Moser - 03-01-2006

Quote:I believe Carol van Driel Murray published the work on the Valkenberg finds

it might be this one:

W. Groenman-van Waateringe. Romeins lederwerk uit Valkenburg Z.H. Groningen 1967

also of interest might be:
van Driel-Murray, Carol. A Fragmentary Shield Cover from Caerleon.
in: Coulston, J. C. Military equipment and the identity of Roman soldiers. proceedings of the 4. Roman Military Equipment Conference. 1988

Re: Light Infantry Shield and Gladius Grip - Crispvs - 03-01-2006

Primvs,

Nice job on the shield and sword grip!

Just one question: why was it necessary that the grip should have a patina on it? After all, new things generally look new (ie: without a patina of any sort). Is the idea to portray a veteran soldier whose equipment has a well worn look?

Crispvs

Re: Light Infantry Shield and Gladius Grip - Primvs Pavlvs - 03-01-2006

Quote:Primvs,

Nice job on the shield and sword grip!

Just one question: why was it necessary that the grip should have a patina on it? After all, new things generally look new (ie: without a patina of any sort). Is the idea to portray a veteran soldier whose equipment has a well worn look?

Crispvs

Nah it wasnt necessary, I just didnt like the look of the polished white bone.