RomanArmyTalk
300 the movie? - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: References & Reviews (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: 300 the movie? (/showthread.php?tid=4539)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

300 the movie? - Chuck Russell - 01-20-2006

http://300themovie.warnerbros.com

sorry if this was posted before. i knew about it but had not seen anything on it.

Re: 300 the movie? - Anonymous - 01-20-2006

I expect it may be an entertaining film, like "Troy". Shame about the (lack of) authenticity. I know it's a "concept" movie - that's precisely what I don't like about it. Shots of people with raggedy clothes (blacksmith) and post-Vietnam haircuts really worry me.

Re: 300 the movie? - hoplite14gr - 01-20-2006

From waht I saw from the Off topic and References forums I am no t impressed. I liked the comic but I would prefer a more close to history and archaology film version.
Ancient Greece is good marketing trick if you want to sell somehing.
I respect the producers right to try and make a buck but I still think there are better ways.
Kind regards.

Re: 300 the movie? - Arthes - 01-22-2006

Greetings,
I call it '300 Chippendales' .... it gets better with every preview... :twisted: Big Grin
(yes, I am female)
regards
Arthes

Re: 300 the movie? - Anonymous - 01-23-2006

Ahh! "Chippendales" is what they call them.... I was thinking "chipmunks".

Spartiates in Posing Pouches - ye Gods!

re - Johnny Shumate - 01-23-2006

It looks awful, just awful...

I wish Hollywood would cross the river Styx and pass into Hades...

Re: 300 the movie? - Anonymous - 01-23-2006

Johnny,

It may still be a cracking action movie. I'm going to go to see it, anyway, it can't be worse than some of the things the Royal shakespeare Company do with costumes for Othello, Macbeth, Coriolanus etc. etc.

Having said that, they did a BRILLIANT version of "Troilus and Cressida" when I were a lad - Dipylon shields and all, it was ACE.

re - Johnny Shumate - 01-23-2006

You're more optimistic than I..!

Re: 300 the movie? - hoplite14gr - 01-23-2006

They did Shutton Hoo Saxons for King Lear Paul but I must say that I fell this is the exception not the norm.
I repeat the comic was exelent but people expect a bit more than comic images in a movie. OK They want to make money but I still they can do better. Any body knows if Clooney´s project gets of the ground?
Kind regards

Paul you managed to mobilize us for the summer. I start seeing you as the superman who could do anything!
Why I suspect that you could try after that to see if a TV series could be made. A decent one who could give proper credit to Thespians and Phokians too.
Kind regards

re - Johnny Shumate - 01-24-2006

What did the Dorians look like? More fair haired and skinned than most other Greeks..?
Johnny

Re: 300 the movie? - Gaius Decius Aquilius - 01-24-2006

For those of you who want to quit holding their nose on the recent stinkers, I just found a DVD copy of "The Trojan Women", 1971 re-release. Has Hepburn, Redgrave, and Genevieve Bujold in it.

Gee, Hoplite 14gr, do you think we can talk the producers of 300 into getting Leonidas to make the "Molon lave" remark?

They probably think Thesbians and Phokians are dirty words said in a Greek accent anyway.

Did I mention Genevieve Bujold was in Trojan Women?

Gaus Decius Aquilius
(Ralph Izard)

Re: 300 the movie? - Anonymous - 01-24-2006

Quote:They did Shutton Hoo Saxons for King Lear Paul but I must say that I fell this is the exception not the norm.
I repeat the comic was exelent but people expect a bit more than comic images in a movie. OK They want to make money but I still they can do better. Any body knows if Clooney´s project gets of the ground?
Kind regards

Paul you managed to mobilize us for the summer. I start seeing you as the superman who could do anything!
Why I suspect that you could try after that to see if a TV series could be made. A decent one who could give proper credit to Thespians and Phokians too.
Kind regards

If the Festival goes according to plan, we may just get sufficient clout with the media to do it.

Re: re - hoplite14gr - 01-24-2006

Quote:What did the Dorians look like? More fair haired and skinned than most other Greeks..?
Johnny

Cavalli Sforcha genetic tables give for ancient Greeks the same percentage in color like modern Greeks:
10-15 percent ranging from straw blond to brown-blond with light coloured eyes (no platinum blond was identified) the rest of the percentage ranges from brown red to dark brown and black hair and the eyes star from gray to dark brown. Doreans of central Greece possibly have more fair paople than Spartans and Argives.
A collective study that analysed the colour of statues of antique collections in germany seem to agree with that.

Well i feel that influx of easteuropean brides that happened the last decade might increase the fair colours percentage.
kind regards

Re: 300 the movie? - hoplite14gr - 01-24-2006

Quote:For those of you who want to quit holding their nose on the recent stinkers, I just found a DVD copy of "The Trojan Women", 1971 re-release. Has Hepburn, Redgrave, and Genevieve Bujold in it.

Gee, Hoplite 14gr, do you think we can talk the producers of 300 into getting Leonidas to make the "Molon lave" remark?

They probably think Thesbians and Phokians are dirty words said in a Greek accent anyway.

Did I mention Genevieve Bujold was in Trojan Women?

Gaus Decius Aquilius
(Ralph Izard)

Well Ralph in defence of historical accurasy and freedom of exprssion we must talk them to show exactly the full move he did with his hand and make sure that the audience understands even indirectly what he meant with MOLON LAVE. So I agree with you and I am afraid that you are right about producers concept of foreighn names. ( I think you put them in the same category as used car salemen and l-----s)

Quote: If the Festival goes according to plan, we may just get sufficient clout with the media to do it.

GOOOOOOOOOOOO Thespian!!!!!!!!

Kind regards

Re: 300 the movie? - Kinginatus - 02-04-2006

Dear friends,

You can't really expect Hollywood to be authentic on a historical movie! They have to cater both for the sensibilities of modern viewers, in an era that lawsuit is king, and for the paychecks of the producers/screenwriters/actors/studio. The only positive thing, that just might keep the movie from becoming a "Terminator" rendition, is the fact that Frank Miller is heavily involved in the production. If you had seen "Sin City" and read the actual comic, you will know that the movie was quite faithful to the vision of the writer in the comic. And since he mentions that reading the story of the Three Hundred made him believe in heroes and turned him towards comics in the first place, I have hopes for the movie version.
Although I believe that Steven Pressfield's book "The Gates of Fire" would be a better telling of the story, I really expect and hope that Miller will not allow Hollywood to prostitute his vision. And then again, if they do, he will just leave the production and disassociate himself from it.
This is no particular help for history buffs or Hellenes, who tend to tear their hair every time Hollywood tries to tell one of the ancient myths or a historical fact, but then again we can decline going to the movie. I myself, if I hear that Miller has left production, I will refuse to go and see it.