RomanArmyTalk
Religion and Re-enactment - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Religion and Re-enactment (/showthread.php?tid=4446)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Religion and Re-enactment - tlclark - 01-04-2006

It strikes me that a big hole is missing in a lot of the re-enactment sites I go to, and that is religion.

I got started on this because I was going to commission Julia to make a byzantine pilgrimage flask, which were used for personal protection by all classes, including soldiers, and it got me thinking. I know that no organized military in the byzantine world would have thought of moving without a blessing from a local priest or abbot.

And the same goes for pagan imperial Rome as well. There had to be aediles and flamines, augurs and soothsayers in any military camp. We know that the Romans had lots of supersititions and religious beliefs.

How do various re-enactment groups deal with this? I don't suppose there are any groups out there slaughtering goats and reading entrails, but do any have any dedicated camp flamines?

Just a thought.

Re: Religion and Re-enactment - Mithras - 01-04-2006

If we did the pagan period (we are 4thC) I would certainly volunteer to be a part-time soldier priest (probably of Mithras). As it is, that kind of talk could get me executed by the local church leaders... Cry

Re: Religion and Re-enactment - tlclark - 01-04-2006

Quote:If we did the pagan period (we are 4thC) I would certainly volunteer to be a part-time soldier priest (probably of Mithras). As it is, that kind of talk could get me executed by the local church leaders... Cry

Yeah, I would feel kinda awkward acting like a priest in the Byzantine period, that's too close to blasphemy,

but what about a more run of the mill flamine or aedile? What about all these scabby soothsayers that are all over Roman histories?

I think it would be cool to be the flamine attached to a Roman group, complete with pointy hat and everything.

Travis

Re: Religion and Re-enactment - FAVENTIANVS - 01-04-2006

We are preparing a 4th century episcopus for this incoming season...

Re: Religion and Re-enactment - tlclark - 01-05-2006

Quote:We are preparing a 4th century episcopus for this incoming season...

Cool!

Give details please?

Travis

Re: Religion and Re-enactment - Theodosius the Great - 01-05-2006

Legion VI is in the middle of aquiring an altar. Hopefully we'll see some ceromonial rites this summer.

Re: Religion and Re-enactment - tlclark - 01-05-2006

Quote:Legion VI is in the middle of aquiring an altar. Hopefully we'll see some ceromonial rites this summer.

Do you have pictures?

What is it made of?

Travis

Re: Religion and Re-enactment - FAVENTIANVS - 01-05-2006

Based on a mosaic... our mate Galla Placidia might have it...

Re: Religion and Re-enactment - A_Volpe - 01-06-2006

At Roman Days Northeast in Connecticut USA last May, we had a ceremony in which a priest (?) from I think it was Nova Roma gave a whole...Uh...Morning prayer? partly in Latin, to commemorate the day (we made it out to be Rosinalia - the rose celebration of the standards)

That was very interesting.

They even made a little stone altar and such.

So, it comes in spurts I suppose Big Grin

Re: Religion and Re-enactment - Theodosius the Great - 01-06-2006

Quote:
Theodosius the Great:1vcgf164 Wrote:Legion VI is in the middle of aquiring an altar. Hopefully we'll see some ceromonial rites this summer.

Do you have pictures?

What is it made of?

I haven't been following closely, but they're been discussing it here :

[url:1vcgf164]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/legiovi/[/url]

You can sift thru the messages, just look for the "Altar" title

religious displays in reenactment - Peroni - 01-06-2006

Salvete,

Our group does quite a lot of religious ceremonies.

http://www.romanarmy.net/Religion.htm

regards,

Re: religious displays in reenactment - tlclark - 01-06-2006

Quote:Salvete,

Our group does quite a lot of religious ceremonies.

http://www.romanarmy.net/Religion.htm

regards,

Nice altar!!

What is your altar made of?

Do you have to transport it?

Looking at the thread that Theodosius recommended, moving altars seems to be a common problem.

Large altars like these were probably stationary, but there were temporary altars and shrines for pentes, genii, lares and other things.

I noticed especially that you recognize the lack of religious rituals in re-enactment as well.

Why do you think that is? I know I feel a little uncomfortable recreating Christian rites since many of these same rites are STILL around! I have considered going out to the local orthodox church and asking them if they would like to come and bless the re-enactment group. I wonder if they would go for that.

Anyway, as a pagan re-enactor, What value do you think it adds to your re-enactment experience?

Re: Religion and Re-enactment - FAVENTIANVS - 01-06-2006

Aitor Iriarte's group, Cohors I Gallica, make a religious ceremony dedicated to I.O.M. on every event they make. They have an altar as well.

Altar - Peroni - 01-09-2006

Salvete,

Our altar is constructed from 1" thick ply mainly, and coated with an exterior wall finish to give it a stone-like appearance. Then painted.

It's still damned heavy though! We have two large vans to transport all our equipment to our events, so moving it isnt' a problem.

We do many rites, military (dedicating the altar) a prayer to mithras, as well as performing many civil ceremomies such as wedding rites http://www.romanarmy.net/images/Pages/h ... PG_jpg.htm and other dedications. All in Latin. The public seem to really like it. It certainly makes for a change to all the usual soldiery type things.

Our man Crispvs (on this forum) is generally seen as an acolyte at the religious ceremonies bowing deeply!

Regards,

Re: Altar - tlclark - 01-09-2006

Quote:It's still damned heavy though! We have two large vans to transport all our equipment to our events, so moving it isnt' a problem.

Have you considered a portable altar in bronze or even wood with a bronze brazier? or even terracotta? I know that they had such things since the stone ones simply would not have been used accept at a location where they were camped out for more than a short while.

Let me look into this, one of my committee members, Dr. Jane Evans, who excavated Caesarea and is now excavating a site in S. France, uncovered a temporary altar.

Quote:The public seem to really like it. It certainly makes for a change to all the usual soldiery type things.

Yeah it looks really cool. We tend to think of Romans in martial terms but they weren't really a martial society IMO.

Thanks for the link!!

Travis

PS. Was this a real marriage? Did they use the Dextrum Iustio? (spelling?) I would love to see a real Roman wedding ceremony, I think they are - in many ways - more meaningful than the current lot.