RomanArmyTalk
Commencing Requisite Introduction: - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Round Table (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: Commencing Requisite Introduction: (/showthread.php?tid=4127)

Commencing Requisite Introduction: - Ahavah - 11-13-2005

Hello, friends! I'm Ahavah, real name Amanda, and I've joined to learn more about Rome. I'll freely admit to knowing very little at the moment, but I hope you'll put up with my ignorance for a bit. I've been doing some reading lately, but I've only just begun to skim the surface.

Is anyone familiar with NaNoWriMo? [url:ee3pzsgn]http://www.nanowrimo.org/[/url] It's an experiment in pure madness, as writers across the globe attempt to write a 50,000 word novel in November. Or, if you're a world-class procrastinator like myself, 2 weeks (because you put off starting until today).

I'm wanting to write about a Roman soldier who converts after witnessing the death of Christ. Since NaNo is about quantity, not quality, it will surely suck. Also, I'm one of those writers who tends to get bogged in research and never finish, so that's why I wanted to jump on the ball and do it this way. My novel will no doubt be filled with reams of historical inaccuracy, but that's what rewrites are for. I'm hoping to get it as true as possible, and in the meantime, learn enough that I'm not wandering too far off base.

So far my soldier is a centurion, and I think he'll be the one who pierced Jesus's side and was 'baptized' with his blood. I've tried to think of how I can get him to resign his position without being killed as a deserter (which would make for a short novel, indeed). I figure he's one of Pilate's trusted officers, though young - and he has to be young, since I think I want to kill him in old age in Pompeii - and possibly had a father who is either a well-respected general or senator. Something. Strings would definitely have to be pulled.

I'm definitely open to suggestions.

So, that's me and why I'm here. I've looked around, and this is one of the best places I've found. Looks like you all are just overflowing with knowledge, so I hope you'll bear with me. I'm looking forward to learning and making friends!

Thanks!

Re: Commencing Requisite Introduction: - Marius_Ursus - 11-13-2005

Welcome, Ahavah!

Re: Commencing Requisite Introduction: - Tarbicus - 11-13-2005

Quote:I'll freely admit to knowing very little at the moment, but I hope you'll put up with my ignorance for a bit.
Thanks to the gods for that, you'll distract from me for a while :wink: Welcome aboard.

the robe, the tunic... (Victor Mature, Richard Burton) - Goffredo - 11-13-2005

Hello and welcome.
Hasn't your basic idea -the conversion of a centurion present at the death of Christ- already been used?

How about:
1) the life of a founding member of the Christian community of Rome itself, maybe a wealthy artisocrat (some of the first places of worship were private houses);
2) the life of some the of lesser known (unknown) apostle;
3) the later life of Pilate;...
4) ...

Re: Commencing Requisite Introduction: - Ahavah - 11-13-2005

Thanks for the welcome!

Goffredo, I'm afraid that every basic idea has already been used. Still, I've committed myself to this one, and hopefully I'll do it well.

Re: Commencing Requisite Introduction: - Arthes - 11-13-2005

Greetings Ahavah
welcome to RAT, hope you enjoy it around here with all the male company.... :lol:
regards
Arthes

Re: Commencing Requisite Introduction: - Ahavah - 11-13-2005

Am I the only female, then?

Just the odds I've always needed!

:lol:

edit to realize you're also a woman. Still pretty decent odds. :wink:

Re: Commencing Requisite Introduction: - Arthes - 11-13-2005

Greetings,
Quote:Am I the only female, then?
Just the odds I've always needed!
:lol:
edit to realize you're also a woman. Still pretty decent odd. :wink:
there are a couple of others lurking...(RAT was actually founded by a woman.....!) but we are definitely in the minority!
regards
Arthes

Re: Commencing Requisite Introduction: - Viventius - 11-14-2005

Hi Ahavah

Welcome! I'm female too! Unfortunately I do late Roman, so probably won't be much use for early Roman questions. But at least the Late Roman Empire was officially Christian 8)

btw, have you heard of the Historical Novel Society? It's for readers and writers: http://www.historicalnovelsociety.org/

Re: Commencing Requisite Introduction: - Marius_Ursus - 11-14-2005

Quote:Thanks for the welcome!

Goffredo, I'm afraid that every basic idea has already been used. Still, I've committed myself to this one, and hopefully I'll do it well.

Don't worry about the idea already being done. Look how many books there are about space wars!

Re: Commencing Requisite Introduction: - Robert Vermaat - 11-15-2005

Or King Arthur! I've collected dozens and dozens of novels, just about that story!