RomanArmyTalk
Are gloves period? - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Roman Military History & Archaeology (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Are gloves period? (/showthread.php?tid=3945)

Pages: 1 2

Are gloves period? - Thaddeus G. Moore - 10-08-2005

Would leather gloves be authentic? In the recent late roman helmet thread in the market place forum several reenactors were wearing very lightly coloured (deerskin?) unadorned gloves. Any evidence to support this? How about cold weather gear gloves or mittens?

- Thaddeus G. Moore

Re: Are gloves period? - Robert Vermaat - 10-08-2005

Afaik, no!

Re: Are gloves period? - FAVENTIANVS - 10-08-2005

Afaik?

Re: Are gloves period? - Matt Lukes - 10-09-2005

As Far As I Know

Re: Are gloves period? - FAVENTIANVS - 10-09-2005

Thanx Matt!!! Big Grin

Re: Are gloves period? - ambrosius - 10-09-2005

Quote:Would leather gloves be authentic? In the recent late roman helmet thread in the market place forum several reenactors were wearing very lightly coloured (deerskin?) unadorned gloves. Any evidence to support this? How about cold weather gear gloves or mittens?

- Thaddeus G. Moore

Hi Thaddeus,

That's a question I've always wanted to know the answer to, myself.
There may not be any direct evidence for it - and we wouldn't be
expecting to see any archaeological evidence if gloves were made
of leather/deerskin. But I'd be extremely surprised if gloves weren't
used at some point and in some climates (Britain, for one). :wink:

Ambrosius

Gloves - Gregg - 10-09-2005

I don't believe there is any evidence for the use of gloves by the Romans, but the use of mittens seems to have been period. There are archeological examples of mittens from Iron Age Scandinavia and 1st century AD Tillya-tepe. Also, Pliny the Younger referrs to some kind of hand covering, though it's not clear if he means mittens or gloves

Gregg

Re: Are gloves period? - Matt Lukes - 10-10-2005

I'd have a look at what the local people in the areas that the Romans were during times when gloves, mittens or whatever might be necessary- the Romans were never ones pass up a good idea...

Matt

Re: Are gloves period? - Conal - 10-10-2005

what about socks with toes .... i may be going mad but i seem to remember this in relation to roman matters Confusedhock:

If there were "toed" socks thenwhy not gloves :?

Re: Are gloves period? - Robert Vermaat - 10-10-2005

Well, mittens ans gloves aren't attested anyway. I've read somewhere (canm't remember where) that strips of fabric (wool?) were tied around the hands instead. Something like the 'boxing gloves' of the period, maybe?

Quote:If there were "toed" socks thenwhy not gloves?
There were socks with one toe, but mittens no.

If they had bags, why not pockets? Big Grin

Mittens - Peroni - 10-12-2005

I read somewhere, (I will have to find the reference) that mittens were used by agricultural workers.

I see no reason why, if it was a particularly cold winter, soldiers wouldn't cover their hands with something.

Regards

Re: Are gloves period? - floofthegoof - 10-12-2005

I can't imagine that mittens weren't invented soon after man had a need for warm clothing.

Re: Are gloves period? - Conal - 10-12-2005

I seem to remember seeing enclosed boxing gloves on a Greek vase ( or somethig !) ??

What about a tube of sheepskin with a thumb hole ?

Re: Are gloves period? - Praefectusclassis - 10-12-2005

IIRC Greek boxers wore windings around their hands.

Re: Are gloves period? - Arrian - 10-13-2005

It is very simple. In -20 degrees celsius your fingers will stick to any metal. Exposure for a few days will make your fingers unusable, and after some more time they will be dead. this is especially true with fingers and toes, because they have a high surface-to-blood-circulation ratio.
the mere fact that the romans spent months in winter conditions ( in the alps, scotland, tyrkey, dacia, germania and more) tells us that they must have had some kind of gloves or mittens, because they also pitched camps, made food and used tools while there. They would not be able too do this without working fingers.

Merely wrapping your hands with cloth will not work, because you need an enclosed space containing air to be warmed by your body heat in order too keep your fingers warm. I therefore believe that they must have had purpose-made hand-warmers.

the best material would probably be wool or fur. leather does not insulate as well.

-Magnus ( norwegian and therefore expert of all things cold and winter-warfare-related.) :wink: