RomanArmyTalk
Padded Armour - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Roman Military History & Archaeology (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Padded Armour (/showthread.php?tid=3698)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

Re: Padded Armour - John M McDermott - 05-24-2006

Yes, my pack served as a pillow and my poncho was an esatz tent on many an occasion.

Re: Padded Armour - Flavius Promotus - 05-24-2006

Quote:A scutum as a tent. That's classic.

The tegimentum is waterproof, so why not? The problem were my legs, as the scutum covered my body only to the certain area where the legs start (= bottom). Luckily it did not rain, but the cloak would also have been (relatively) waterproof :wink:

Quote:But I also noticed the shoes. Do you have a pattern for those?

Send me a pm, and I can give you a source for such boots 8)

Re: Padded Armour - Mithras - 05-24-2006

My friend, you borrow another scutum and make a rain-proof scutum tunnel!!

Quote:
Quote:A scutum as a tent. That's classic.

The tegimentum is waterproof, so why not? The problem were my legs, as the scutum covered my body only to the certain area where the legs start (= bottom). Luckily it did not rain, but the cloak would also have been (relatively) waterproof :wink:

Quote:But I also noticed the shoes. Do you have a pattern for those?

Send me a pm, and I can give you a source for such boots 8)

Re: Padded Armour - Flavius Promotus - 05-24-2006

I was the only guy with a rectangular scutum there! You can't build a tunnel with dished ovals :lol:

Ok, back to armour padding - it would be a shame if such a great thread would be relocated to off topic :wink:

Re: Padded Armour - Tarbicus - 05-29-2006

Quote:[Image: sculpture-thorax.jpg]

Might it be that Mars is wearing a padded armingcap under his helmet?
The structure of the thing under his helmet looks a lot like the vest he is wearing.

Here's a photo of the actual thing.

[url:35ovn5s6]http://www.indiana.edu/~class2/c102/net_id/images/L179.JPG[/url]

Re: Padded Armour - Caballo - 06-03-2006

Speaking to a Viking reenactor last week, he told me that they use horsehair to stuff their gambesons/ arming jacks, as it knits together under pressure to form a tough layer, and so is preferable to wool.
New to me (as so much is)- any thoughts?

Cheers

Caballo

Re: Padded Armour - Dan Howard - 06-04-2006

New to me. Does he cite a source for this titbit? A strong case can be made that the vikings didn't wear gambesons/aketons under their armour at all (just woollen clothing) so I'd be curious how he can prove that these non-existent arming garments were stuffed with horsehair.

Re: Padded Armour - Caballo - 06-04-2006

Hi,
No source quoted - just a chat at a multi period event.

I know little about the Vikings- but I'd be suprised though if warriors of any age did not wear some protective/ padded clothing under mail given the potential for internal injuries and/ or mail being driven into the body if mail alone were worn....

Regards

Caballo

Re: Padded Armour - Dan Howard - 06-04-2006

Trying to second guess ancient cultures is not a good idea. Evidence has emerged to show that they did all sorts of things that make no sense to us today. Personally I would like to wear padding under my mail. It is irresponsible to assume that all earlier cultures must have as well. A reasonably thick woollen tunic should give adequate protection from chafing and help to reduce blunt trauma somewhat. Absense of evidence is not evidence of absence but we can't carry this mantra too far. It is pure speculation to say that the vikings wore an arming garment under their mail and a blatant lie to claim that we know how it was made.

Re: Padded Armour - Tarbicus - 08-28-2006

Quote:
Tarbicus:2r1d6xc8 Wrote:I like the idea of rawhide on the shoulders, but I intend to make it part of the subarmalis.

How? Best answer this in the subarmalis thread... :?

Two shaped patches, one on each shoulder, with a similar sized layer of felt underneath the subarmalis in those positions only for comfort, stitched to the subarmalis like a shield edging, with possibly another couple of pieces over the upper chest. I think I've mentioned it in this very thread before. Draped-over single linen layer subarmalis (it's for a seg with a baggy tunic underneath) as seen in the patterns Travis and I did. I'm interested in maiking the shoulders, clavicles and shoulder blades as shock resistant as possible so I wouldn't go dropping anything if heavily struck there. A thin subarmalis to keep flexibility under the seg, in the theory that the baggy tunic will add to the protection.

There will also be loops attached to the right armhole to attach a manica. I believe the ESG are getting into manicae in a big way (?) and are opting for attaching around the neck, but that doesn't appeal - too much potential strain on the neck.

The difference to the patterns in this thread is that I want to make the pteryges detachable as suggested elsewhere, threading through holes in the subarmalis' edges.

Here's the other thing with rawhide: Experiment with detachable rawhide pteryges. Excellent protection to the groin and upper legs with a double layer, yet lightweight and flexible overall. It's only an experiment, so no flamethrowers trying to burn my house down please :wink:

Re: Padded Armour - Marcus Mummius - 08-28-2006

The rawhide sounds good as protection as long as it stays dry. When I've worn a subarmalis under armour for a few hours the thing is simply drenched with sweat. I really think this will make the rawhide soft and weak... How do you think you'll be able to avoid the rawhide from getting wet.

uhhh I just rememberd you said you can apply lineseed oil to it to make it waterpoof. :oops:

Were did you find that out? Did you already try it?

Vale,

Quote:I just rememberd you can apply lineseed oil to it to make it waterpoof. :oops:

Were did you find that out? Did you already try it?

From our very own caiustarquitius' excellent thesis entitled The Shield in Late Antiquity and the Early Middle Ages.

Actually, I just thought, Christian that is yours isn't it? It's been so long since you sent it and you haven't got your name on it :oops: You know when you get that niggling bit of doubt even though you're 100% sure it's such and such! I just loaded it to make sure and realised "OMG! What if?". Confusedhock:

Re: Padded Armour - Martin Wallgren - 08-28-2006

Quote:New to me. Does he cite a source for this titbit? A strong case can be made that the vikings didn't wear gambesons/aketons under their armour at all (just woollen clothing) so I'd be curious how he can prove that these non-existent arming garments were stuffed with horsehair.

What´s your sourse saying that a "Tröja" (Old norse for Armingcoat) is not equal too a Gambeson or subarmalis?

The word "Tröja" is still in use here in scandinavia as a slangword for a thicker jersy or sweater in more than one layer! In the old days the word was used for all upperbody clothes of more than one layer of textile. During medieval times it was assosiated with warfare and it was during the 17th c. the german word Wafen, swedishsed to Vapen was added as a prefix to define between military equipment and civil padded gear (in use because of the cold whether.)

Just some more on linseed oil and waterproofing from good old florilegium.org:
Quote:Raw linseed oil when polymerised is completely waterproof. It was used on linen canvas to make oil cloth. Check an archive for the discussion on that from several months ago. Though I have no proof, I'm sure linseed oil was used as a rust preventative....

Re: Padded Armour - Matt Lukes - 08-28-2006

Linseed oil can also spontaneously combust so it should be used with some caution :lol: Its drying and polymerization releases energy so is a fire hazard:
Quote:CAUTION: Oil soaked materials may spontaneously ignite.RISK OF FIRE FROM SPONTANEOUS COMBUSTION EXISTS WITH THIS PRODUCT. Linseed Oil generates heat as it dries. This heat generated as it dries can cause spontaneous ignition of materials contacted by Linseed Oil. Oily rags or waste and other oily materials can cause spontaneous combustion fires if not handled properly.

I suspect this is more of a problem with natural fabric rags as opposed to rawhide or leather which are a lot harder to burn, but still...

[url:yv94m53z]http://www.allprocorp.com/techbuls/SunnyTB/7590TB21035BldLnsdOil.cfm[/url]