RomanArmyTalk
Xenophon\'s last 6,000 - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Greek Military History & Archaeology (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Xenophon\'s last 6,000 (/showthread.php?tid=3203)

Xenophon\'s last 6,000 - Aedon - 04-15-2005

Khairete,

Having recently finished Xenophon's Anabasis, I was surpised to discover that rather than return home, the remaining 6,000 chose to join the Spartan campaign against Tissaphernes. Apparently they had yet ANOTHER campaign to endure. It boggles the mind.

This leaves me with a burning curiosity, what became of them? How did the campaign go? Is it known how many of the 6,000 finally made it back home?

Speaking Anabasis, it has come to my attention that another account of the 10,000 was written by Sophaenetus the Stymphalian. Have any of you read this? If so, what did you think?

Khairete,

-Aedon

Re: Xenophon\'s last 6,000 - Kevin J. Aschenmeier - 04-16-2005

Do you mean Sophaenetus of Arcadia? He was one of Cyrus' Greek generals.

Re: Xenophon\'s last 6,000 - Aedon - 04-16-2005

Khaire Kevin,

I'm not sure, I only heard a passing referance to Sophaenetus.

Khaire,

-Aedon

Re: Xenophon\'s last 6,000 - Praefectusclassis - 04-16-2005

Are you sure it survived? It might well be that another ancient author mentioned this guy's work, but it never came down to us.

Re: Xenophon\'s last 6,000 - Kevin J. Aschenmeier - 04-17-2005

On further checking the introduction to my edition of the Anabasis (eds. M.W. Mather and J.W. Hewitt, 1962 edition) there are two other historians of the expedition. The Sophaenetus I mentioned above, the general, and a certain Themistogenes, who according to another work of Xenophon, was the "official" historian.

Neither of these works have survived. Most likely because Xenophon's was the best.

Kevin

Re: Xenophon\'s last 6,000 - AthenaK - 02-08-2007

I read Anabasis and wondered the same thing. What happened to Xenophon's survivors? How did the campaign against Tissaphernes turn out?

Athena

Re: Xenophon\'s last 6,000 - Nicholas Gaukroger - 02-08-2007

Quote:Khairete,

Having recently finished Xenophon's Anabasis, I was surpised to discover that rather than return home, the remaining 6,000 chose to join the Spartan campaign against Tissaphernes. Apparently they had yet ANOTHER campaign to endure. It boggles the mind.

Well they were mercenaries - its how they made their living after all.

Re: Xenophon\'s last 6,000 - hoplite14gr - 02-08-2007

Sophanetus the Stymphalian died during the retread so he is unlikely.

Most of these men left their properties destroyed by the Pelopenessian war.
They had a better chance to follow Thibron against the Persians again and probably become citizens of the porsperous rich colonies that were not so strict like Athens and Sparta in enfranchizing new citizens.

Kind regards

Re: Xenophon\'s last 6,000 - Idomeneas - 02-09-2007

Quote:On further checking the introduction to my edition of the Anabasis (eds. M.W. Mather and J.W. Hewitt, 1962 edition) there are two other historians of the expedition. The Sophaenetus I mentioned above, the general, and a certain Themistogenes, who according to another work of Xenophon, was the "official" historian.

Neither of these works have survived. Most likely because Xenophon's was the best.

Kevin
Themistogenes is basically Xenophon as far as i read. Being modest he used a fake name so others wont accuse him for praising himself. I cant recall now if Sophainetos was the other historian. There are rumours of another record of anabasis by another general but it is said to not be that accurate as it presented its writer and those who favoured him in a ''extra positive'' way Big Grin . the ancients never accepted it as a work of equal quality as the one of Xenophon. It is said though that some lines in the beginning of each chapter and the epilogue comes from that other work merged in the one of Xenophon by an ancient scholar.