RomanArmyTalk
Canadian Celtic/Roman Archaeological Park in 2006? - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ancient Civ Talk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Canadian Celtic/Roman Archaeological Park in 2006? (/showthread.php?tid=3178)

Pages: 1 2

Canadian Celtic/Roman Archaeological Park in 2006? - richsc - 01-14-2005

Just got this: anyone know anything?<br>
<br>
Dear Sir,<br>
<br>
As the CEO of a major tourism attraction in Eastern Canada, due to begin construction in June this year and open to the public in June 2006, we are very interested in finding a producer of historically accurate Samian ware and Roman Amphorae.<br>
<br>
Our company features an historically correct Celtic Iron Age Village, Roman Fortess and Gladiator arena. Though we are a daily visitor venue, we are also offering 'The Total Living History Experience" this allows visitors to live on site, wear the clothes and eat the food from 2000 years ago.<br>
<br>
We would be very interested in seeing some of your wares and also discussing prices with you.<br>
<br>
Our webpage will be available from the end of January 2005. We will notify you of its existence once it is posted.<br>
<br>
Sincerely,<br>
<br>
William Marshall-Hall<br>
CEO Keltica Iron Age Village Inc

<p>Legio XX <br>
Caupona Asellinae</p><i></i>

Re: Canadian Roman Archaeological Park in 2006? - Musivarius - 01-15-2005

Sounds great, can't say I've heard of them before and it's strange that they're starting building in a few months yet nothing has come out of rumour control.It would be great if they needed a whole load of tableware doing, I wonder what sort of order size they have in mind?<br>
Lawrence <p></p><i></i>

Re: Canadian Roman Archaeological Park in 2006? - Anonymous - 02-01-2005

I did some checking up on this guy. His company is registered in Fredricton, New Brunswick. They company was incorporated in July of 2003. I have a street location of the company, but I have not as yet managed to get an e-mail address. Any of you guys have an e-mail address for this guy? <p></p><i></i>

Re: Canadian Roman Archaeological Park in 2006? - richsc - 02-02-2005

Here's Bill Hall's email<br>
<br>
William Hall <[email protected]> <p>Legio XX Caupona Asellinae</p><i></i>

Re: Canadian Roman Archaeological Park in 2006? - Iulia Cassia Vegetia - 03-03-2005

I've been e-mailing this gentleman, and he seems very interested in my Roman pieces. He sounds sincere and genuinely concerned with historical accuracy. Time will tell<br>
I'll keep you posted.<br>
Julia <p>Pax et Lux,<br>
Julia Legio III Cyrenaica<br>
Maker of Amphorae<br>
<br>
"As you change your thoughts, so you change your world..."<br>
</p><i></i>

Keltica needs your SUPPORT-WRITE IN - Iulia Cassia Vegetia - 04-14-2005

Avete,
I wanted to update all of you on Keltica. I just spoke to William Hall yesterday, who is the founder and CEO. He's a really nice guy with a great sense of humor. He's featuring several artisans, including myself, on the upcoming store/shop section of his website. This gentleman really cares about historical accuracy, which is the only reason I'll even deal with him.
He has all the investors backing him up, but now needs the Canadian government to spring for a living history grant. He has to prove to them that Keltica will be worth it. If you think so after viewing his website, WRITE IN! He will then print the letters out and present them to the powers that be. I know that he will really appreciate your support.
Thanks in advance.

http://www.kelticaironagevillage.com/

Re: Canadian Celtic/Roman Archaeological Park in 2006? - Lvcivs Commodvs Cicero - 04-14-2005

I looked at this guys website and the plan is interesting it is basically a tiny disneyland set in the iron age. It will be a money making venture catering to people who can afford it. Day spa treatment is mentioned. So I really don't think this is a reenacting site.

my 2 sesterses

Keltica - Iulia Cassia Vegetia - 04-14-2005

Salve Lucius Commodus,
Actually, Mr Hall assured me that a small Disneyland is the very thing it's NOT. In fact, this was the very thing that I spoke to Mr. Hall at length about as a requirement for my putting my pieces on his website. There will be a few amenities such as a spa for folks visiting, but not the gross commercilism (and I do mean GROSS) of a Disneyland or standard "Hollywood-ized" attraction.
However, Lucius, if I was you, I would definitely voice my concern about the park only catering to those that can afford it and write to the man via his website. What can it hurt?

Re: Canadian Celtic/Roman Archaeological Park in 2006? - Lvcivs Commodvs Cicero - 04-14-2005

Salve Iulia,

When I looked at his site before and just now, nothing has really changed. I see a lot of photos on there from reenactment groups, with no references as to where they come from. Trust me when I say this is not a reenactor friendly site.

They even say there is a limit to how many romans and celts who will be there during the week, for their "total living history experience". I like to call them weeklong warriors, not reenactors as they show up for an experience. Take some time and review what the website says start to finish and you will see what I mean. I am not fooled by what he may have to say this is just a tourist trap.

He wants to make money from this and use the Canadian Government to help pay for it! Walt Disney would be proud.

here's a direct quote from the site...

"If you want a Celtic or Roman Style Wedding then Keltica is for you. It is our intention to eventually offer Roman Spa weekends where you will be able to relax in our Roman Villa, enjoy healthy meals prepared for you by our chef, swim in the Roman Bathhouse, work out in the Gymnasium and end the day enjoying massages with aromatic oils."

Sounds like he is catering to the haves. The rest of the site keeps talking about tourism & attraction. This is an iron age disneyland.

I personally don't care what this guy does with his site, I just offer my opinion even if it is wrong.

Plus I already have a Roman Fort & Celtic village in the US to reenact at, Lafe Arkansas.

Re: Canadian Celtic/Roman Archaeological Park in 2006? - Iulia Cassia Vegetia - 04-14-2005

Salve,
I really appreciate you taking the time to post your thoughts. It's making me thoroughly rethink my involvement here. Perhaps in my enthusiasm to get my little struggling business going, I may have jumped the gun and run over the obvious signposts .
You very well may be right, and if so I stand corrected. The last thing I want to do is be part of something that caters only to the rich.
Thanks for your honesty. I'm glad to be part of such a well informed group.
BTW, I'd like to know more about LAFE. Is there a website?

Re: Canadian Celtic/Roman Archaeological Park in 2006? - Praefectusclassis - 04-14-2005

Well, catering to weddings and stuff may be a way to help keep such a park afloat. I know the Archaeon over here is available for rent for events and such. They just have to do that because upkeep and suchlike of such a park is so expensive, the proceeds of entrance fees alone do not cover it.
In my opinion, there's a difference between having such a park for commercial reasons only (and yes, an entrepreneur seldom has another reason) and having a park for cultural/historical reasons, using commercial means to keep it financially viable.

Re: Canadian Celtic/Roman Archaeological Park in 2006? - Iulia Cassia Vegetia - 04-14-2005

The fact that this gentleman is a history teacher is what in my eyes gave him credibility.

Salve Iulia,

http://www.ad43.org/main.htm

This site has been built up over the past five years, this year we set the posts for a celtic hut. I started to lathe it but broke the chainsaw. It is based upon a Roman mile fort along Hadrians wall.

Also, I don't mean to disparage you from a business venture just point out that he is doing this as a commercial business for profit. Which is rather interesting. I hope he is successful but don't expect to be able to go there to do a reenactment.

http://www.freewebs.com/brigantesna/

This is the Lafe based Celt tribe page

You are quite right Lucius, and it is an important distinction for me as an artist and reenactor to make between selling wares to someone as simply a commercial venture, and selling wares to reenactors because of my passion for living history. Both are fine, as long as I know what I'm dealing with-in this case, the former maybe???? Heck, maybe I'll make a few dollars-goodness knows I could use the $$. I don't think any of us are rich.
Well, I'll be getting the contract in the mail any day now-and I plan to definitely have a lawyer go over it-or no deal. I've learned the hard way unfortunately.
Again, I thank you for your informative feedback.
Cheers,

Re: Canadian Celtic/Roman Archaeological Park in 2006? - Robert Vermaat - 04-15-2005

I find it worrysome to read about the pictures that he uses on his his site that:

Quote:*NOTE: Many of the pictures on this web site are taken from various sites around Europe that are similar in nature to Keltica Iron Age Village.
while on the other hand he claims them to be
Quote:Photo property of Keltica Iron Age Village.
Only a few times he mentions the source.

Is any part of the buildings even realised yet?