RomanArmyTalk
Dragoncon 2016 - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Events (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+--- Thread: Dragoncon 2016 (/showthread.php?tid=27360)

Dragoncon 2016 - Flavivs Aetivs - 06-28-2016

So in Atlanta this year is Dragoncon, which is like Comic-con but kinda sorta focuses on Fantasy elements. HEMA usually shows up, and last year they invited Legio XI Claudia in Georgia to come out, and one of them was able to make it and was a big hit. This year, we're trying to get more people to come out, and I'm planning to be there in my Late Roman kit.

This isn't just another parade/stand around. Millions of people will be watching and tens of thousands will be attending the event. It's huge. You get to meet celebrities, go to panels, give presentations, it's nerd heaven.

But yeah, we're hoping to get a ton of imperial Romans for the event and the parade. You don't need to bring shields and Pila, just the wearable kit.

If you're interested in going, talk to Noah Fowler or you can just message me and I'll put you throuugh to him.

RE: Dragoncon 2016 - M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER - 06-30-2016

(06-28-2016, 07:02 PM)Flavivs Aetivs Wrote: focuses on Fantasy elements.

RE: Dragoncon 2016 - Flavivs Aetivs - 07-01-2016

A lot of historically accurate organizations show up (HEMA for example). I say "fantasy" as in, that area of "nerddom" that covers historical, historical fantasy, etc. Comiccon, for example, technically focuses on comic books but it's really all-encompassing. And so is Dragoncon. Although I hear Dragoncon is a bit closer to family-friendly than some of the other cons (in the end it's probably not a great idea to bring kids...).

RE: Dragoncon 2016 - Scream92 - 09-07-2016

DragonCon just ended. Didn't particularly focus on fantasy elements as Evan's original post may have implied, @Alex. In fact, we had several docents and panels in which garnered great interest in the ancient side of reenactment, with several other historical reenactment and live steel combat groups.

A great time overall.

RE: Dragoncon 2016 - Crispianus - 09-07-2016

(06-28-2016, 07:02 PM)Flavivs Aetivs Wrote: So in Atlanta this year is Dragoncon, which is like Comic-con but kinda sorta focuses on Fantasy elements. HEMA usually shows up, and last year they invited Legio XI Claudia in Georgia to come out, and one of them was able to make it and was a big hit. This year, we're trying to get more people to come out, and I'm planning to be there in my Late Roman kit.

This isn't just another parade/stand around. Millions of people will be watching and tens of thousands will be attending the event. It's huge. You get to meet celebrities, go to panels, give presentations, it's nerd heaven.

But yeah, we're hoping to get a ton of imperial Romans for the event and the parade. You don't need to bring shields and Pila, just the wearable kit.

If you're interested in going, talk to Noah Fowler or you can just message me and I'll put you throuugh to him.

Sounds Brilliant, Have Fun.... and dont forget the after event report Wink

RE: Dragoncon 2016 - Scream92 - 09-07-2016

(09-07-2016, 06:59 AM)Crispianus Wrote:
(06-28-2016, 07:02 PM)Flavivs Aetivs Wrote: So in Atlanta this year is Dragoncon, which is like Comic-con but kinda sorta focuses on Fantasy elements. HEMA usually shows up, and last year they invited Legio XI Claudia in Georgia to come out, and one of them was able to make it and was a big hit. This year, we're trying to get more people to come out, and I'm planning to be there in my Late Roman kit.

Sounds Brilliant, Have Fun.... and dont forget the after event report Wink

Well, seeing as the event just ended, I shall take the liberty to formulate the AAR.

DragonCon 2016, overall, was a success, for us here in the Legion.

HSCT/HEMA, and several other live steel bohurt or reenactment groups from other eras, also partook with us, subordinate to the Armory; a large weapons display room, with things from the Paleolithic era, all the way up until modern artillery.

Legio XI, in particular, however, partook in the parade, after a weekend of interactive and enjoyable experiences, such as parades, tracks, docents, and overall, the Con experience itself.

[Image: 14188165_1294431800568262_6495042686862898682_o.jpg]
(Legio XI partakes in the parade.)

Members, old and new, had chances to interact with the public in an open forum that consisted of several media outlets. Legio XI was also featured in CW Atlanta's broadcast of the parade, but was, however, circumvented in some renditions by a Moe's commercial.

[Image: z6s868p.jpg]
(Optio Chris Stewart of COH I, Legio XI Claudia, at the Armory).

[Image: U6XTQXH.jpg]
(Gun room at the Armory).

[Image: JUeykw9.jpg]
(LEG XI Mannequin.)

[Image: YCpE4B1.jpg]

Some of the kits throughout history, in no particular order.

Some of the docents, as well, were a unique opportunity for individuals such as Evan Schultheis here on RAT, to discuss some of the arms and armor of his own, late Roman equipment.

[Image: dludxiA.jpg]

All in all; a rewarding, overall enjoyable experience - in which provides platforms to recruit, expand your own horizons and social interactions, and learn about others.

[Image: 14258346_1294416107236498_7932567911120243704_o.jpg]

Feel free to comment!