RomanArmyTalk
Show here your Roman soldier impression - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show here your Roman soldier impression (/showthread.php?tid=2606)

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Et tu brute - 09-02-2007

Thanks, Joanne Smile D

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Gaius Julius Caesar - 09-02-2007

Where do you get the authentic Roman arrows?

The ones at the Grozey site were all the sharp cut fletches.

I got some of mine when I ordered my bow from www.bowshop.eu but I generally make mt own, wich are probably more authentic, in method and maybe materials, everything I use is authentic when making them, apart from super glue and araldite, for fletching the arrows and attatching the tips/piles.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - John Conyard - 09-02-2007

Sorry, I don't generally get the time to browse all the threads on RAT. But there are some excellent late Roman impressions on this thread. Well done to the gentlemen from France and one day I hope to meet you all and have long conversations about kit and equipment. Your impressions are a joy to look at.

I see their Roman bow bears a lot of resemblence to the hungarian bow!
Will possibly get one, but not sure what kind of power 60lbs is going to give! :? The arrows I will get advice from caballo on as his looked 100% authentic at corbridge.

Hi Byron, it really depends what you want to use your bow for, re-enatcment I take it will be part of the usage. I shoot 40#, which is ample for me, and most of the members in our group have a similar weight, however it's really up to you Smile 60# is pretty powerful, you wont have any trouble reaching targets at a club with that weight, and you probably afford to drop a fair bit.

Well, I want a bow that is going to hit the target :lol: I like to be able to have something that is going to do the same job the real one would have.
I am not an archer, but if I do use it, it will be where it is safe to overshoot the target. If I use it, I am going to be practiceing a fair bit first. It has been a while since I have fired a bow.
My crossbow has 175lb draw on it, but that was bought for hunting, and has never been used in anger, Sad . 60lbs should be good for a bow.

What distance are you planning on shooting? Will you be shooting target or field, or just fun shooting? Obviously you should go for the bow you feel comfortable with, but if your only shooting 60 yards you probably wont even need 60# and 40# will ofcourse be alot easier to pull therefore letting you hold at full draw for a longer amount of time. If you want to shoot longer distances (100 yrds +), then 60# is probably about right. It's probably worth getting a 60# because it's more future proof, and I doubt you'll have any trouble pulling it Big Grin

PS. I thought bow/crossbow hunting is illegal in Britain?

It is. I bought it when I was young, with no idea I would be here this long. Had plans on hunting back home with it. Pipe dreams of my youth. :roll:
I think it has been fired enough times to count on one hand! :oops:
Just hate throwing things out.

As for archery, will need to find somewhere to practice. Distance will be required to pepper the mobs of barbarians, then the power of a good penetrator once closer in.
Will also look good on the wall. 8)

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Marcus Mummius - 09-02-2007

Quote:It is. I bought it when I was young, with no idea I would be here this long. Had plans on hunting back home with it. Pipe dreams of my youth. :roll:
I think it has been fired enough times to count on one hand! :oops:
Just hate throwing things out.

As for archery, will need to find somewhere to practice. Distance will be required to pepper the mobs of barbarians, then the power of a good penetrator once closer in.
Will also look good on the wall. 8)

I'm not an archer myself but my brother has a Grozer bow and is getting a second one. His first one has a drawweight of 60pnds and now he's getting one of 120pnds I believe.

Vale

What type of bow? The Roman one is advertised up to 60 lbs only.
I would like one a little heavier than 60, but it will do for starters.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Caballo - 09-02-2007

"The arrows I will get advice from caballo on as his looked 100% authentic at corbridge." :oops: Well, not fully! Mine are Grozer as shown on the right here http://www.grozerarchery.com/index_ac.htm

I've painted the nocks with the black/white/red design found on the arrows at Dura, to distingush my arrows (the more usual way is to have specific fletching colours). Magius, if you wanted to do that you might want to use different colours?

Need to order some more though having progressively lost more and more. That or learn how to make my own using a jig....

As for poundage, I'd personally start low, build up accuracy, and work up. Also if there is an outlet of Quicks near you, I'd recommend them.

Cheers

Caballo

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - FAVENTIANVS - 09-02-2007

Quote:
Paulus Claudius Damianus:16q5ejv0 Wrote:It is a long times that I have no posted news pictures on the RAT forum.

Hi Damien,

Yes it was indeed time!! Big Grin You guys look absolutely wonderful! Laudes!!!

Just two questions:
1) Is that all of you? Vindex? What about Alexander? Spadinos? How many members do you have these days?
2) Talk to us about your shoulder armour?
3) When are you adjusting your avatar? :wink:

My questions:

Why has Geta cut his mail sleeves and shoulder pteruges out?
Who is wearing that magnificent Der-El-Medineh helmet Arbatio made months ago?

ok, will do, but dont want to be spending a fortune on new bows! :roll:
60 seemed low to me, but hey.... :wink:

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Paulus Claudius Damianus - 09-02-2007

Ha, good questions Faventianus.

first, the ptèruges shoulders of Geta was very badly made. We removed them. I think he will not wear it any more. On the place, I am making him a ruffle of scale just like the armatus soldier of Holy Marie Majeur of Rome which he will fix to his mail shirt. As me, his amatura should not change any more.

The Helmet of Der El Medineh which made Arbatio is a helmet of exhibition. He has no internal lining. Anthemius concerned him a photo but we see that it did not adjust.