RomanArmyTalk
Show here your Roman soldier impression - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show here your Roman soldier impression (/showthread.php?tid=2606)

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Et tu brute - 07-16-2007

Thanks Edge Smile Like I say, i'm terrible at distinguishing helmets and the likes!

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Gaius_Calvus - 07-16-2007

Oh, me too, Brother. Big Grin

That's why I'm on here with you!

Edge

Hehe, I think I need to bury my head in some textbooks for a few weeks and not surface until i've absorbed every scrap of infomation that I can :lol:

Senior Centurio, ca. AD 90-125 - FlaviusCrispus - 07-16-2007

Ave, comilitones!

Well, I finally have gotten my Centurio impression put together to the point where I'm ready to post a picture, and finally got a shot I'm fairly pleased with (thanks to Jared Fleury, aka Florentius):

[Image: CENTURIO.jpg]

The pic was taken at this year's Old Fort MacArthur Days event in San Pedro, CA. There's still some "tweaking" and improving to do, but after nearly two decades at this, I'm nearly there.

Also, note Legio VI's new leather contuburnium tent in the background!

Looking great! I love your Phalera Big Grin

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Crispvs - 07-16-2007

Looking very, very good so far frater Crispe. When are you coming over to England next by the way? It would be nice to meet up at last.

Edge,
"For my legionary impression, yes it is -- a Coolus C"

Are you sure? It looks like a Coolus type 'D' to me.

Crispvs

Paul,

I think it's a Coolus C. :oops: But, I could be wrong. It's an earlier one from DPKa that a friend "accurized" for me, so it does not look like the newer DPKa models.

Either way, I wanted an earlier Coolus version for this impression.

Edge

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Marcus Mummius - 07-16-2007

Looks good!

Question: did an early 2nd century AD centurio wear a balteus with apron? I think 1st century ones didn't have the apron...

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Gaius Julius Caesar - 07-16-2007

Edge and Falvius!

Both you kit look great! The centurio impression outsatnding!

What did you do with the Seg you used to wear Edge!

Hey Byron,

Uh.... :oops: :oops: :oops: ...that was a borrowed seg from my first event. So, I don't wear it.

Matt Lukes is making me one I'll be proud to own...hopefully I'll have it soon. I KNOW it will be accurate. :wink:

Guess I need to update my avatar! :lol:

Edge

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Gaius Julius Caesar - 07-16-2007

Hmmm, I was wondering who was going to be the next lucky recipient of his production line....! :lol: Lucky dog! 8)

Is that the Ashock rai hamata or is it another manufacturer?
I am planning on getting a hamata and the odds and ends for a republican impression. They are more affordable now than befrre, thanks to a lot of effort from people on here! Big Grin D ? ? ? lol:

Never was good with names... never forget a face though!

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - FlaviusCrispus - 07-16-2007

Quote:Question: did an early 2nd century AD centurio wear a balteus with apron? I think 1st century ones didn't have the apron...

Not a lot of evidence either way. The Ludovisi Sarcophagus (Antonine?) seems to show a centurion in a lorica segmentata wearing an aproned belt, but the artistic treatment of the "apron" is vague. A couple of might-be centurions on the Antonine column are wearing short aprons, but again it's unclear whether these are in fact centurions or some other class of officer. Alas, in the later first and second century, centurions developed the habit of showing themselves in their civvies (tunic, toga) on their grave stelae, usually reclining for dinner. Very inconsiderate of them for us reenactors!

In any case, I'm currently making a replacement belt, sans apron, using openwork plates with the hound-chasing-hare motif which seems to originate in the Antonine period.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Marcus Mummius - 07-16-2007

Thanks for the explanation. So instead of an apron you need a dinner couch. I'm glad I'm not doing 2nd century at the moment :lol:

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Tarbicus - 07-16-2007

Quote:Thanks for the explanation. So instead of an apron you need a dinner couch. I'm glad I'm not doing 2nd century at the moment :lol:
What's latin for 'couch potatoes'?

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Gaius_Calvus - 07-17-2007

Thanks, Byron.

Matt tells me that he's got a good bit of the seg done, but he's mainly working a set of greaves for me for a centurio impression. The seg will come after the greaves are done. I hope to have both soon.

The hamata was from Find-It Armory, and I replaced the leather myself, and the buttons/hooks are (again) from Matt Lukes. :lol:

Regards,

Edge