RomanArmyTalk
Show here your Roman soldier impression - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show here your Roman soldier impression (/showthread.php?tid=2606)

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Titus Martius - 10-07-2006

Thanks, I already have scutum, but it needs umbo...and Matt Lukes is making lorica for me.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Martin Wallgren - 10-09-2006

Quote:Good job!!

Can you post a pic of the subarmalis?

Here you go!

Any comments?

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - FAVENTIANVS - 10-10-2006

Looks great.
Made it yourself?

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Martin Wallgren - 10-11-2006

Yepp! I did. It was a pain in the *** to do it! It is made of five layers of linnen and between layer 2 and 3 there is rolls of scrapp linnen sewn into tubes. the shoulderpads are two layers of linnen and four layers of felted wool.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - FAVENTIANVS - 10-11-2006

Gjötte bra job!!!
Have you thought adding some pteryges?

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Martin Wallgren - 10-12-2006

Nah! My impression is of a Germanic Auxilliae soldier of some lower officer rank. I want it to have it a Auxilliae feel but still have it Romanised enough. The boots are going to be more native and instead of pugio I´m having a seax.

I´m working on a complete diffrent design for a friend though, witch will be more suted for petrigues. The first one is made to be used with a slimfitting Hamata but the new one is more adapted for use together with a Seg. Radically diffrent design. More of a square vest with a rectangular shoulderpiece in one piece. May do a schetch later on and post.

The actuall Sub. is at my friends place right now but I will post pics when I get it back.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - FAVENTIANVS - 10-12-2006

Quote:Nah! My impression is of a Germanic Auxilliae soldier of some lower officer rank.
I don't think pteryges denote special rank, it's just a kinda extra protection.IMHO

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Robert - 10-13-2006

Quote:Hi, can I get a confirmation on that comment, please? I recently posted a Subarmalis, help wanted post, but response has been slow. I have enough leather, having bought half a cow.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Robert - 10-13-2006

Oh shucks, got the quote button wrong. :oops: I meant the comment of FAVENTIANVS Big Grin

This is my western auxiliary archer impression. - mpferrell - 11-02-2006

I just put this together a couple of months ago and completed my first event at Castra Romana in South Carolina. I am looking for comments good or bad to better my impression.

Another of me getting ready to release. - mpferrell - 11-02-2006

Another of me getting ready to release.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Robert - 11-30-2006

Hi Mercer, Good turnout! What's the drawweigth on your bow and is the quiver a researched replica?? Can you get an arrow out, as it looks to be slung low and far back. Any feedback on quivers, anyone?

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Mithras - 11-30-2006

All I have found is 'leather' and 'tubular' and 'slung on the back' - so mine is all of those. And it works fine.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - FAVENTIANVS - 11-30-2006

Quote:Oh shucks, got the quote button wrong. :oops: I meant the comment of FAVENTIANVS Big Grin
So? :wink:

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - mpferrell - 12-01-2006

Quote:Hi Mercer, Good turnout! What's the drawweigth on your bow and is the quiver a researched replica?? Can you get an arrow out, as it looks to be slung low and far back. Any feedback on quivers, anyone?

Draw weight is 30lbs at 28". Quiver is home built as simple as I could make, nothing fancy. It is slung low, I am fixing that before next event. Thanks Robert.