RomanArmyTalk
Show here your Roman soldier impression - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show here your Roman soldier impression (/showthread.php?tid=2606)

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - FAVENTIANVS - 09-18-2006

You have a manubalista!! Wow!!

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Quintus Julius Furius - 09-18-2006

No, not us ! But the legion VIII Augusta : http://www.leg8.com/

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Marcus Mummius - 09-21-2006

Salvete,

Here are some photos from our event in Gistel near Oudenburg. In the pictures you can see a few of the members (less than half) from Legio XI and two friends from Holland.

First picture is one of me (in camp dress) and three friends.

I'm not wearing my shoulderdoubling in the pictures as it wasn't finished in time... It is now Big Grin

[Image: c.jpg]

[Image: g.jpg]

[Image: f.jpg]

[Image: j.jpg]

[Image: ala.jpg]

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Robert Vermaat - 09-22-2006

Nice pictures.
Quote:In the pictures you can see a few of the members (less than half) from Legio XI and two friends from Holland.
Who?

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Titus Martius - 09-22-2006

Hi Jef! Nice pics!

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs - 09-22-2006

Great pics,Jef. Inspiring.
I hope our version of
the XI th looks as good.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Marcus Mummius - 09-22-2006

Quote:Nice pictures.
Marcus Mummius:3p37e5at Wrote:In the pictures you can see a few of the members (less than half) from Legio XI and two friends from Holland.
Who?

You know them, at least they they know you Smile

Alan, the Scythian archer (from England but lives in 'sHertogenbosch) and Erik Broekhof.

Thanks for the compliments. It was the first public event of our group and almost everyone had things they weren't able to finish (shoulderdoubling etc)... Our next group event will be much better!

Vale,
Jef

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Robert Vermaat - 09-22-2006

Quote:You know them, at least they they know you Smile
Alan, the Scythian archer (from England but lives in 'sHertogenbosch) and Erik Broekhof.
Ah, yes, Erik I know and Alan I've met on several occasions. Ex-X, both.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Mithras - 09-24-2006

[Image: full-armour.jpg]
'SILENCE! OBSERVE YOUR ORDERS! KEEP YOUR POSITION IN THE LINE!!!!"

Late 4th century front-line infantry. What have I improved? My shield is built to Dura spesifications and is very heavy! My boots are 'hypodemata', found in RMC3, I am wearing my subarmalis, plus carrying some 'impedimentia'. My stare is better too! Of course I like my new tunic, but it is still not properly finished ...

[Image: exploratores2.jpg]
'3 ponies, travelling light, came this way last night ... heading for the Wall'

This coming weekend I am participating in a 12 mile march across the highest point of Hadrian's Wall. Last year I wore armour, helm, carried a big shield. This year I aim to enjoy it more and this is my Romano-British scout impression, either part of a local garrison 'going light' or foederati from the Votadini drafted in to spy on what is happening on the other side of the Wall. Food enough for 3 days, a cloak for the rain, javelins, sling and sling bag, a big camp knife and a Roman spatha.

Don't mess with the exploratores ... 8)

Hey, we were LRRPS before there were LRRPS! SPQR meets LRRP.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Robert Vermaat - 09-24-2006

That's just great Paul! Very good - you're my role model!
I always like how you (and the rest of Comitatus) manage to look as if you actually live in the 5th c.... laudes awarded.

Thank you very much Robert! Do you mean the way we look like we don't wash or shave? Or wash our clothes?? :oops: :oops:

I do think that all the little details matter, not just standing in front of the camera, but carrying a knife, a waterskin, not having modern items in the background, etc (except for the rabbit hutch in the background of that second photo :oops: )

Its one of the reasons I love Dan Peterson's photo book so much. It all looks so real.

BTW, Robert, we send all of our new recruits to the FECTIO website as a matter of course. That's not flattery, its the truth.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Virilis - 09-24-2006

Great photos, Paul!

Especially the first picture. It always amazes me to see how "modern" and practical those Intercisa helmets look! I definitely have to get one!

Btw, have you noticed that the cuttings for the ears seem to fit your head perfectly!