RomanArmyTalk
Show here your Roman soldier impression - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show here your Roman soldier impression (/showthread.php?tid=2606)

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Robert Vermaat - 07-22-2006

Ah, wow - great painting. Looking forward to see it with my own eyes! :wink:

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - FAVENTIANVS - 07-22-2006

I bet you will. :wink:

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - petrinus - 07-23-2006

you all inspire me tremendously!

Gaius Messius - Finlandese - 07-27-2006

Please, meet my very dear friend, Roman citizen legionary Gaius Messius from Legio X Fretensis. He served in Judea at the time of Hadrianus.

Nil ego contulerim iucundo sanus amico.

Ilpo

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Praefectusclassis - 07-27-2006

Quote:He served in Judea at the time of Hadrianus.
He picked just about the worst time to be there :wink: Legio X Fretensis was almost completely wiped out considering the enormous influx of new troops they received from the Misenate fleet.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Finlandese - 07-28-2006

Quote:He picked just about the worst time to be there

As a legionary you can't choose when where or why. BUT you do have one luxury, you can choose how 8)

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Theodosius the Great - 07-31-2006

Avete,

Recently, Marcus Valerius (aka TR M VALERIVS) and I debuted as Praetorian Tribunes at an annual event. Here are a few pictures :

[url:4ito5pty]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/RCasti998/PraeTrib.jpg[/url]

[url:4ito5pty]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/RCasti998/6e24d908.jpg[/url]

[url:4ito5pty]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/RCasti998/ff81cdec.jpg[/url]

[url:4ito5pty]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/RCasti998/d6cb1bd3.jpg[/url]

The only item I don't own is the shield which Valerius made himself and was kind enough to loan me. Neither of us have stopped working on our kits since these photos were taken, so the next time we meet there should be some visible improvements.

Considering the strong winds my crest endured (especially towards the end of the day) I was suprised how resilient it proved to be. A majority of the feathers remained intact and I was able to recover most of the ones that blew off. Needless to say, I have to use a stronger adhesive.

BTW, I've been gone a while and didn't have an oppurtunity to comment on some of the new pictures posted on this thread. I'd like to express my admiration towards Peroni and Vortigern for completing their new squamatae - especially the shoulder sections. Sasssinid, I love your new greaves ! Hats off to John McDermott for his amazing new BRASS seg Confusedhock: And great job with that harness - I like the colors you choose for your kit. Quintus Julius Furius - looking good. As Graham Sumner says, we Late Romans have trouble with getting our sleeves to look 100% right. You may want to try tapering the ends of your sleeves, otherwise the tunic looks great. FAVENTIANVS - impressive job. How long did it take to finish all that stitching ? Paulus Claudius Damianus - you look VERY intimidating wearing your helmet over that coif Confusedhock: Smile Hope I didn't forget anyone. You're all looking better all the time....

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Robert Vermaat - 07-31-2006

Hi Jaime,
Thanks! Your subarmalis looks very good too!

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Robert Vermaat - 08-01-2006

This is an update of my impression as a Late Roman..

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - FAVENTIANVS - 08-01-2006

Quote:FAVENTIANVS - impressive job. How long did it take to finish all that stitching ?
3 days.

Thanks Jaime and congrats!

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Theodosius the Great - 08-02-2006

Avete Vortigern et Faventianvs,

Quote:This is an update of my impression as a Late Roman..
Quote:3 days

That's a great shot, Valerius ! It should go on one of the RAT mugs ! Though I'm a bit puzzled as to why both you and Faventianvs suddenly started wearing baldrics. I thought that function was relegated to belts in this period for the most part. Were scales and lameller-armored men the exception ?

3 days, Faventianvs ? I bet it took a lot longer to cut out the individual leather pieces (scales?) Smile

Thank you both for your compliments.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - TR M VALERIVS - 08-02-2006

OK, I'll be the stick-in-the-mud who mentions it:

In the case for historical accuracy, I do find the wearing of phalarae over a segmentata to be too fantastical for my tastes.

Evidence for centurions in segmentatae is itself almost non-existent... it is a common reenactor practice, however, and so is less anachronistic to the eye.

I agree as to the possibility of a brass segmentata, though if such an item did exist, it would most likely have been parade armor, the strength of iron vis-a-vis that of brass being well-known by that point.

I also have no problem with the tunic worn high, it's by no means uncommon in representational evidence.

Very nice job overall,

M VALERIVS
aka Jim Whitley

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - TR M VALERIVS - 08-02-2006

Apologies for the confusing out-of-order post. My previous comments were regarding John McDermott's brass seg with phalarae pictures that were posted somewhere around page 20 of this thread.

Salvete,
M VALERIVS / Jim Whitley

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Robert Vermaat - 08-03-2006

Quote:
Vortigern:1gs90009 Wrote:This is an update of my impression as a Late Roman..
That's a great shot, Valerius ! It should go on one of the RAT mugs ! Though I'm a bit puzzled as to why both you and Faventianvs suddenly started wearing baldrics. I thought that function was relegated to belts in this period for the most part. Were scales and lamellar-armored men the exception ?
I can't vouch for lamellar, but it's impossible to wear a sword suspended from a waist-belt when you're wearing a squamata. Well, my squamata at least. The scales make it too stiff to be compressed, and they are slippery enough to make the belt slide down! Even with just a pouch this happens. The Dorchester belt was orginally reconsructed with a baldric attached to it (a bit like suspenders). If that's correct, I now see why.

So in my opinion, if you're wearing a spatha suspended from a waist belt instead of a baldric, that must be because you're a) wearing a hamata or b) no armour at all.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Theodosius the Great - 08-03-2006

So that's it, the belt can't get a strong grip :o

Quote:The Dorchester belt was orginally reconsructed with a baldric attached to it (a bit like suspenders). If that's correct, I now see why.

Oh right, I remember seeing it in a book. Looks like experimental archeology has solved another mystery :wink: Great job, Valerius !