RomanArmyTalk
Show here your Roman soldier impression - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show here your Roman soldier impression (/showthread.php?tid=2606)

Show here your Roman soldier impression - john m roberts - 08-01-2015

Is he going to go out boar-hunting when he goes off duty? That's a hellacious spear he's holding.

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Gaius Julius Caesar - 08-01-2015

Perspective, and possible wideangle. Ordinary hasta.

Show here your Roman soldier impression - ANTONIVS MAGNVS - 08-01-2015

Bought this Ribchester Cavalry helmet off of ebay a few months ago very cheaply. Thought I'd see how comfortable it is to wear at the ROM Pompeii exhibit. I usually wear an Italic D as in my avatar. The mask is very tight on the face and the attachment "hook" presses into your forehead. I'll have to modify that if I decide to wear it again. Still, it looks very cool...

[attachment=12616]DSC09771.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=12617]Ribchester.jpg[/attachment]

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Gaius Julius Caesar - 08-02-2015

Some filming a few years back, as later period soldiers, executing Christians. Crispus can be seen in is blur cossack trousers! :grin:
[attachment=12620]P1140204_2015-08-02.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=12621]P1140201_2015-08-02.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=12622]P1140196_2015-08-02.JPG[/attachment]

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Crispvs - 08-02-2015

Ah yes - me in fourth century mode.

The fur hat is made from rabbit skin. In fact it is of the normal dimensions for a Pannonian cap, but the fur makes it look much bigger. The tunic with the incredibly tight sleeves was copied from one which was sold at Christie's a few years ago. The measurements, while odd to the modern eye, are correct to the original. I do still have to finish the decorations though. Being so short, when it naturally pulls up through my belt, I tend to end up with my undertunic on display as seen here.
The trousers are actually green and are rather more close fitting in reality than they look there. In the rush to get changed out of first century AD kit and into fourth century kit before the threatened rain came down and lost us the light for filming, I didn't do my drawstring up tightly enough and my trousers crept down a bit and took on this slightly baggy look, before I noticed and did the drawstring up more tightly. Unfortunately that was after those photos were taken.
The shoes are my simple reconstruction of one of the shoes from Deurne. The belt has six propeller stiffeners and the buckle is copied from an example from Winchester. The belt end hangs down about a foot from the belt, which never seems quite long enough. :unsure:

I must say, that was a very nice sword you had with you that day, Frater Magivs. I suspect poor Petronius' knees were not looking quite that good afterwards though. Confusedmile:

Crispvs

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Gaius Julius Caesar - 08-04-2015

My own fur hat is made from shearling from a special breed of sheep. I would have to look back over my PMs from Claire Marshal, but since she has refrained from re friending me on FB, I'll never know now!

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Gaius Julius Caesar - 08-25-2015

Quote:Ah yes - me in fourth century mode.

I must say, that was a very nice sword you had with you that day, Frater Magivs. I suspect poor Petronius' knees were not looking quite that good afterwards though. Confusedmile:

Crispvs

Yes, between his knees and the point of my sword in his shoulder, he wasn't having a good day.

Show here your Roman soldier impression - panairjdde - 09-13-2015

Okay, my turn.

This is my impression, fifth century: Burgh Castle helmet borrowed and shoes generic "medieval". Any suggestions about how to improve / what to correct?

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Robert Vermaat - 09-14-2015

Quote:Okay, my turn.

This is my impression, fifth century: Burgh Castle helmet borrowed and shoes generic "medieval". Any suggestions about how to improve / what to correct?
Your pugio is 3rd c., the belts are also earlier than 5th c.
I'm not sure about that javelin?

Otherwise, looks fine!

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Flavivs Aetivs - 09-14-2015

I agree with Robert, although I'd find a pair of Late Roman Calcei or Campagi.

Javelin is a bit later... The sword looks like the old 3rd century Deepeeka (you may want to get their new Feltwell blade).

What period do you want to represent? If you're building your impression around the Burgh Castle helmet you'll want to go for mid-late 4th century.

Show here your Roman soldier impression - panairjdde - 09-14-2015

Robert, Evan,

Thank you for your suggestions!

My group has been interested in late 3rd to early 4th century, that's why the 3rd century spatha and pugio and the Burgh Castle helmet. Recently they changed their period to the 5th century (early to late), so I guess my impression should be set during mid-5th century.

What kind of equipment should I look for, besides the Feltwell blade? I'd rather prefer a more "close" helmet similar to the Burgh Castle one, rather than the Intercisa I & II types. Should I carry a pugio or something else? What's the typical belt for my period?

I'll gladly accept any suggestion.

P.S.: Evan, the Late Roman Equipment page on your site is really great, thank you for the effort to compile it.

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Flavivs Aetivs - 09-14-2015

Go for a Koblenz or Iatrus Helmet if you want to get a new one, but Burgh Castle will work fine. Feltwell will work for early 5th. Don't carry a Pugio, belt varies based on the timeframe. I use a Pseudo-Hispanic type but there are several from Switzerland and Britain that are also early-mid 5th.

No problem! The Placidi Equipment page needs to be updated with a few new things.

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Gaius Julius Caesar - 09-28-2015

It's a hard life in the Legions, bringing civilization to the ends of the empire!
Here is civilization in Londinium!

[attachment=12857]image_2015-09-28.jpg[/attachment]

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Flavivs Aetivs - 09-29-2015

From the Julius Caesar display in SC:

Working on getting the proper fold pattern in my cloak. Have it double up here but I think doing the same thing as with the Paludametum/Chalmys should work.

Yes I know I've got my belt looped through the slider. My baldric parts are still in production: Raymond from Raymond's quiet press is making me a set to match the belt.

[Image: lOnq8Al.jpg]

[Image: 0od9377.jpg]

[Image: URjPuLu.jpg]

[Image: Fa9jABm.jpg]

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Thomas V. - 09-29-2015

Quote:Working on getting the proper fold pattern in my cloak.
If you are interested in the proper way of wearing a sagum, you might take a look at the two attached graphics.
[attachment=12862]Sagum1.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=12863]Sagum2.jpg[/attachment]
No. 4 shows the "default way". No. 5 shows that the cloak, given the right carrying method, can be folded back easily in order to free the wearer's arms, whereas No. 6 shows that the right way of wearing the sagum also is perfectly suited for enwrapping the wearer.