RomanArmyTalk
Show here your Roman soldier impression - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show here your Roman soldier impression (/showthread.php?tid=2606)

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Roman Military History is 4 Me - 03-20-2013

The white linen belt sash with blue hebrew designs on it!
I am a bit on the short side but it doest help when the Centurion is 6 ft. and Brutus is approx. 6' 4" (the rather gargantuan legionnaire at far left). He has a tendency to throw invading picts back over the fort wall when he gets angry.

Show here your Roman soldier impression - BrianY - 03-21-2013

Smile Smile
T

he Eagle Has Fallen

Show here your Roman soldier impression - BrianY - 03-21-2013

Smile Smile
T

he Eagle Has Fallen

Show here your Roman soldier impression - M.VAL.BRUTUS - 03-22-2013

[attachment=6769]Tribune1.JPG[/attachment]

This is a picture from an event we did in California at the incomparable Getty Villa in Malibu. It's a reconstruction of the Villa de Papirii overlooking the Pacific Ocean.

Show here your Roman soldier impression - M.VAL.BRUTUS - 03-22-2013

"Lol, but I can see Stilicho or Aetius or Ricimer wearing purple clavicii and Orbulii on his tunics."

I don't mean to stick my nose out there, but were't all three of these men killed by their respective emperors? Might not be the best examples...

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Alexand96 - 03-22-2013

Nice kit there Brandon. I'm assuming 1st century AD tribune or legate? I really like the gorgon on the chest of your musculata....embossed? Rarely see any embossing on musculata reproductions (which I think wouldve been fairly common).

I too would someday like to put together an officers impression, although I'd aim more towards a republican commander, I think.

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Crispvs - 03-22-2013

Brian, looking good overall. Don't worry about your height. I'm sure actual Roman recruiting officers were more interested in how used to hard and disciplined work a recruit was than quibbling about an inch or two of height here and there.

There are just three points I would make to improve your impression a bit.

Firstly, you all need to hitch your tunics up a bit higher. Your knees should always be able to be seen, as one of the recognised signs of being a military man was the wearing of a tunic which was hitched up to hang above the knee. Therefore if your tunics hang too low you risk looking, not like solders, but instead civilians who have dressed themselves in military equipment.

Secondly, I see no problem in your wearing a sash, but it would be better not to have the end hanging down the way it is in your picture. Tuck it in under the rest of the sash so that the sash has reasonably even upper and lower edges right around the body.

Thirdly, I think the chap on then left of the picture should take a look at the 'Winter Clothing' thread:
http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/20-roman-re-enactment-a-reconstruction/320671-winter-clothing-in-1st-century-ad-legionary-re-enactment.html?limitstart=0

So good impression overall and, with a bit of tweeking which would cost nothing, potentially very good.

Crispvs

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Roman Military History is 4 Me - 03-23-2013

Thanks for the tips Crispy. Like i said the kit that i have on in the picture is all loaner gear and it was my first event.
I am buying the seg that i have on and have a wool tunic on order. But i will adjust my kit to your suggestions when i get all of it together.

I definitely want to look the part, but I'm more interested in learning how the legions fought, ate, and lived. The best way to experience this is through immersion events.

This is the first time I'm actually portraying something that my ancestors actually did. My family is originally from Sicily and Northern Italy. Ill never know but there is a high probability.

Show here your Roman soldier impression - ANTONIVS MAGNVS - 03-23-2013

I know how you feel Brian. My Dad's little spec of a town (Scigliano or ancient Sturni) is mentioned by Pliny and is built along the Savuto river and the Via Popilia. Legend has it that Hannibal himself crossed the Roman bridge at the bottom of the mountain. The town traces it's roots back even before it was granted Latin rights.

http://www.scigliano.altervista.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4&Itemid=4

Show here your Roman soldier impression - ANTONIVS MAGNVS - 03-23-2013

Quote:
This is the first time I'm actually portraying something that my ancestors actually did. My family is originally from Sicily and Northern Italy. Ill never know but there is a high probability.

I know how you feel Brian. My Dad's little spec of a town (Scigliano or ancient Sturni) is mentioned by Pliny and is built along the Savuto river and the Via Popilia. Legend has it that Hannibal himself crossed the Roman bridge at the bottom of the mountain. The town traces it's roots back even before it was granted Latin rights.

http://www.scigliano.altervista.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4&Itemid=4

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Roman Military History is 4 Me - 03-23-2013

Thanks for the link. Sicily is absolutely beautiful. Ive been to Rome, Herculaneum, Sorrento and Naples. Sicily is on my list to visit.

Thanks for the link. Sicily is absolutely beautiful. Ive been to Rome, Herculaneum, Sorrento and Naples. Sicily is on my list to visit next.

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Roman Military History is 4 Me - 03-24-2013

My son is studying about Roman History in school. We built an earthwork wall with spikes and dug a small ditch below it. This is him guarding the wall from a possible pict invasion.

[Image: 16D32C10-514E-4865-8A0A-5327AF03CEAC-181...8b78db.jpg]

[Image: DC180CB5-76FF-4D0C-BB90-7DC87C9AC5BE-181...530445.jpg]

Show here your Roman soldier impression - ANTONIVS MAGNVS - 03-24-2013

He'll remember that for the rest of his life!

Show here your Roman soldier impression - arklore70 - 03-24-2013

He is looking like he is well on his way to be a fine Roman Soldier.