RomanArmyTalk
Show here your Roman soldier impression - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show here your Roman soldier impression (/showthread.php?tid=2606)

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - AMELIANVS - 08-27-2012

Fantastic!

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - franciscus - 08-27-2012

[attachment=5048]ww2airsoft022.JPG[/attachment]

Here's one of my first pictures in Roman outfit... a miles of beginning of the first years of the first century... the miles could just lay his hands on a brand new segmentata... he still wears his old helmet and his sword on the old fashion way :grin:

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - franciscus - 08-27-2012

Here's one of my first pictures in Roman outfit... a miles dated in the early years of the first century... the miles could just lay his hands on a brand new segmentata... he still wears his old helmet and his sword on the old fashion way :grin:

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Robert Vermaat - 08-29-2012

Quote:Here are couple of pics with my new cloak (nice orbiculi made by Claire Marshall), new torque and a new belt (made by the one and only Paul mullins)...]
VERY nice Jyrki!!

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - M. Val. Naso - 08-29-2012

Hi guys!

Our group was wondering, how would you "rate" us. We started in spring 2011, in Hungary, and try to specifically recreate a Valerian comitatensis unit under I. Valentinianus. Our equipment is designed for full contact real fighting within festivals/events(you know, crazy eastern european custom, that we do real fighting or nothing, just think about those maniac slavs (no offense, consider this as a compliment) doing these things).

These photos took place in a 5 months timeframe, so a lot of our equipment has changed (for example my helmet got a new metal crest). I'm the guy in the blue tunic (the centurion). Please comment on our photos, you can see most of them on facebook here

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Virilis - 08-29-2012

Hi Mark!

I would say your group looks very good Big Grin ! One thing comes to my mind. There is a debate that the Intercisa-style helmets (like many of your group seems to have) had originally gilded silver sheathing on them which were stripped of eventually before the helmets were abandoned. Anyway, very good in my opinion, no "big issues" here :wink: !

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - jvrjenivs - 08-29-2012

Nice kit indeed! One question, though. Why the use of split-tunics?

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - M. Val. Naso - 08-29-2012

Tell me the "little issues" as well Smile

Split tunics: if you mean the split at the hips, it had to be done at the time we made these tunics. they are only in one size (had to hurry with the making), and it seemed convenient in the aspect of fighting (it's the same with my helmet: originally the findig shows us a much bigger crest, but after testing we had to alter it. it is impossible to fight in it: big target, one hit landed on it basically tears your head off your neck, and had no balance whatsoever). keep in mind, that these tunics are the next things we want to improve, meaning a unique one for everyone, according to findings.

Virilis: I personally see no validation of the silver gilding. Expensive, and does not add much to the defensive value of the helmet.

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Caballo - 08-30-2012

I'd suggest that the tunics be made much larger and longer - have a look at the Piazza Armerina mosaic for ideas?

And while silver may not have added much defensively, boy did it make em look good! Few of us could afford to do that, but it is accurate.

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Robert Vermaat - 08-31-2012

Quote: Split tunics: if you mean the split at the hips, it had to be done at the time we made these tunics.
Splits are not forbidden of course, but as your tunics need to be (very) wide, usually you would not need a split. Wink

Quote:Virilis: I personally see no validation of the silver gilding. Expensive, and does not add much to the defensive value of the helmet.
Every Late Roman helmet was covered in a thin layer of silver or gilded silver. Every part down to the smallest rivet. Of course it's nice to look at, but we assume that it was done for rust prevention.
Of course it's way too expensive for us reenactors. I know only of 3 helmets which are accurate in that way, and they are even too expensive to bring to an event. Confusedhock:

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Robert Vermaat - 08-31-2012

Quote:I'd suggest that the tunics be made much larger and longer - have a look at the Piazza Armerina mosaic for ideas?
Wider sure, but perhaps not longer - the Piazza Armerina mosaics show both knee-length as well as hip-lenght tunics. The figures who might be soldiers seem to wear longer tunics than the civilians/slaves?

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - M. Demetrius - 08-31-2012

Military tunics, after putting on the belt, should be just above the knee. Civilian tunics should be just below the knee for men, and longer for women, usually.

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Robert Vermaat - 09-01-2012

Quote:Military tunics, after putting on the belt, should be just above the knee. Civilian tunics should be just below the knee for men, and longer for women, usually.
I would agree with you that this goes for most but by no means all. I think you'll find that plenty of artistic evidence belies that 'rule'. Clothing is, after all, subject to fashion and personal taste.

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - M. Demetrius - 09-01-2012

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropaeum_Traiani
Just one example.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunic
and another.
And then there's the collection of grave stele here on RAT, which pretty universally show the men with tunics that have the kneecap showing.

Of course not every tunic was the same, as they were often ordered via the legion supply office, and not every person was the same height. A look at the Osp)rey books etc., shows pretty much the same idea: military tunics were at or above the knee. (Ladies wore tunics that covered their legs for modesty, slaves and workers wore shorter tunics, but still generally below the knee.) Early Republic tunics were very short--we pretty much don't wear "miniskirts" as soldiers today, because of social stigma and "indecent exposure" laws.

Exactly how they got the tunics to drape like the grave sculptures tend to show is a matter for debate, but I thought tunic length was pretty much a settled idea. :???:

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - M. Val. Naso - 09-01-2012

How about soldiers with ankle length tunic? Not necessarily pedites, but there is a drawing of a cavalryman in an Osprey book with it. (Military clothing 2, IIRC)