RomanArmyTalk
Show here your Roman soldier impression - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show here your Roman soldier impression (/showthread.php?tid=2606)

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Evgeny - 07-29-2012

We reconstruct the period from 68 to 105 AD. Belts do not have a legionary, he was damaged on the first day. ( falk)
[Image: 789a144cd1f0.jpg]

[Image: a4f10d088ec9.jpg]

[Image: 7f78fa381d44.jpg]

The cavalry of our Legion

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Potator - 07-29-2012

Quote:"Everyone looks nicely kitted out."

By the way Evgenii, why do you use two different shield blazons?

Crispvs
Shields with white arrows in the figure belong to the men of the club "Cohort VIII Legio VI Ferrata" from Moscow. We live about 3 years. We were the organizers of the show near Moscow. Club "Legio V Macedonica" from St. Petersburg (Evgenii's) is very strongly supported this show. We were in the same order. Therefore, different shields.

[attachment=4739]-12.jpg[/attachment]

Our reenactment is still very imperfect ...but we will be better :-D

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Gaius Julius Caesar - 07-29-2012

Looking really good guys! I would second Crispus on the fit of the trousers , tight and at the top of the calve! 8)

Trousers longer than necessary, yes. But a lot of mosquitoes near Moscow Smile
Arm guard has no sources too, but we have full-contact fighting...

Ha ha! Speaking of Mosquitoes, what do you use as repelant? The ones in Canada bite right through socks! Midges do the damage here... Confusedad:

Mosquitoes - it was a joke. No repelant in roman times Smile We will improve our kits.

Ha ha, you got me there! :lol: Bloody things are going crazy every where though....Garlic probably works though...in the bloodstream.

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Doc - 07-29-2012

Nice impressions guys!!!

I have a comment/question. Is there some ancient steadfast rule or written text as to the nature of how close fitting or long trousers were? I mean really? So are you trying to tell me that thousands of soldiers at one period in time ALL decided that close fitting and short length trousers was the only way to dress EVERYWHERE in the empire? Then somehow someone at some point decided to loosen them up a bit?

I noticed that in reenactment there is a HUGE tendency to look at evidence and instead of reasoning it, filing it away in a compartment like mail and using each piece individually not as a whole.

I know there is evidence about certain things like clothing (I have all of Grahams books) and as some of you know, I try to stay as close to the evidence as possible......within reason. Why within reason? Because logic also plays a part when deciding certain things. To me it is illogical that because we have a scultpture or fresco here and there showing tight trousers that we are to assume that ALL legionaries wore them. Thats like saying that if a person in two thousand years from now finds a few photos of male teens in the 1980's with spiked hair, then it would be correct to assume that everyone had this hair cut.......no, logic would say this is one possibilty.

Please lets stay with the evidence BUT within logical reason. To me it is perfectly plausible if there is a variation in how "close" trousers were. The length as well...what eveidence is there that all trousers were inherently shorter? A stela..painting? Again, can anyone prove conclusively that short trousers were that way for everyone always? How is anyone supposed to know with complete assurance that these shorter trousers were not rolled up? Someone could argue that a pair has been found. Ok, but how do you know it is not for a short person or someone riding on horse. In other words, there are so many ifs on something like this that in my opionion certain judgments on other peoples kit should be reserved on things like using a Mainz blade in the 4th C AD not if pants are tight, baggy, etc.

My two cents.

Well, for one..the tight fit would make it harder for the bloody midges to get further up the leg? Wink

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Pointer - 07-29-2012

Mosquitoes... In MIchigan they bite right through the armor! Smile

[Image: 1f40c6c13343.jpg]

Together with the "Legio VI"

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER - 07-30-2012

Quote:"Everyone looks nicely kitted out."
I don't know what sleeves were like in the second half of the second century AD but for the first half the extant evidence would suggest that tunics were still wide enough to reach to the elbow or forearm without the addition of sleeves.

These tombstones show tunics reaching only about halfway between the shoulder and the elbow, more or less.

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - 66kbm - 07-30-2012

If your 1st cent Tunic is sized correctly ie..elbow to elbow width and shoulder to mid shin length then you will get "sleeves", depending on your build and other items worn ie armour, the length of sleeve will vary, but it will be present.
Kevin