RomanArmyTalk
Show here your Roman soldier impression - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show here your Roman soldier impression (/showthread.php?tid=2606)

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - ANTONIVS MAGNVS - 04-14-2012

Too bad most of the earlier photos are gone! Confusedad:

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Gaius Colletti - 04-15-2012

Agreed Jay, perhaps we could clean up this thread a bit? Delete some of the posts with pictures that aren't there, or links that don't work. Just a suggestion

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - ANTONIVS MAGNVS - 04-15-2012

Yup, I've made that suggestion more than once. There are many, many threads here that should be deleted, cleaned up. It's frustrating thinking you've found what you're looking for only for it to be "empty". It would be a big job though....

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Titus Marius Secundus - 04-15-2012

404 not found!!! lol...also on Legio XX's site there's a link under leather suppliers, that led me to a rather dubious site that wanted me to click buttons!!! I'm not sure as to who's buttons I would be clicking so I shut off the pc a couple times trying to find leather sources...just saying it might be unreputable. I don't know which supplier, don't want to know either Tongue

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Gaius Julius Caesar - 04-15-2012

Well, considering that most of the people who posted them originally are still memebers on here, I'm sure a simple request will provide a response to anyone interested in what has been done in the past.
A lot of info and reference to these people would dissappear if they are deleted.

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - nicus maximus - 04-15-2012

Over the last 5 years, I have made some gladii, pugios, a lorica segmentata, a cingulum et alias. I've made them to be suitable for my kids to wear. I'm more then happy to share the pictures it they are lost somewhere.

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - A_Volpe - 04-16-2012

I've often wondered/wanted to see a separate thread where just photos of us in kit are posted - No commentary or criticism, just a running image archive, and another thread where people can make comments, ask questions and discuss from posting pics of their kit, works in progress et cetera.

I think it's great to have a thread where we post pics of ourselves in our respective kits to see where people are at in their reconstruction, but after thousands of comments and back-and-forth discussion and over a hundred pages worth, now with many of the photos inaccessible, maybe it's time to re-examine how [this] thread ought to work.

My duo denarii, at least. :mrgreen:

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Gaius Colletti - 04-16-2012

An even better idea Andy, understandably this thread no doubt holds a lot of memories for a lot of people, but I am glad it is not just me who feels that this thread is 'cluttered' with many pages that have no photos. It is certainly hard to navigate through this 151 page thread, since to my knowledge, there is no way to instantly skip to page 135, you have to either start from the beginning or the end and work your way from there.

Would it be out of the question to break up such a thread into three seperate threads: Early Imperial, Late Imperial, and Republic (while the Republican era is quite large, very little is represented in the community, let alone we do not know much of the legion's equipment before the Marian reforms)

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Robert Vermaat - 04-16-2012

Quote:I've often wondered/wanted to see a separate thread where just photos of us in kit are posted - No commentary or criticism, just a running image archive, and another thread where people can make comments, ask questions and discuss from posting pics of their kit, works in progress et cetera.
Well, that's the job of the moderators. It's a balance between keep a thread on topic and keeping the peace. Not so long ago i was mauled by some members who disliked splitting of a thread, while others like you had requested it for the same reason - to keep it simple.

This thread was meant to show images and a few comments, but all too often (such as right now :wink: ) discussions deviate from the main subject.

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Robert Vermaat - 04-16-2012

Quote:Would it be out of the question to break up such a thread into three seperate threads: Early Imperial, Late Imperial, and Republic (while the Republican era is quite large, very little is represented in the community, let alone we do not know much of the legion's equipment before the Marian reforms)
I'm not sure it's feasable.

For one, the thread is so immense, there's no easy way to split it up into three slightly shorter threads. That would take hours and hours, especially when the comments and ensuing discussion are to be migrated as well.

I could of course, if everyone would agree, cull all non-image posts from this thread (or maybe leave a few questions/answers about some pictures), that would shorter it too.

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Paul Elliott - 04-16-2012

Quote:Would it be out of the question to break up such a thread into three seperate threads: Early Imperial, Late Imperial, and Republic (while the Republican era is quite large, very little is represented in the community, let alone we do not know much of the legion's equipment before the Marian reforms)

I like this idea. We could begin it now, fresh. No comments other than those that come with the photos. Any queries, PM the poster.

When you want to look into what people are doing in your particular era it would be nice to have a thread of that era to dip into.

Republican, First C, Second C, Third C, Late Period (4th-6th) would satisfy me!!!!

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Gaius Colletti - 04-17-2012

Quote: I'm not sure it's feasable.

For one, the thread is so immense, there's no easy way to split it up into three slightly shorter threads. That would take hours and hours, especially when the comments and ensuing discussion are to be migrated as well.

I could of course, if everyone would agree, cull all non-image posts from this thread (or maybe leave a few questions/answers about some pictures), that would shorter it too.

No, I was actually proposing an amendment to Andy's post. Leaving this thread alone and together, but if a new thread(s) were started, they could be broken down into the four areas. Modifying this thread would be too large of a job considering there are 151 pages, with 3000 replies. Failing that, I would still by happy with a singe NEW thread that involved just photos and descriptions

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - chukissaki - 04-17-2012

Quote:Here are some photos taken with my new shield and lorica squamata. Common miles and an officer :wink: ...
Very nice !!!

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Kai - 04-18-2012

Quote:I would still by happy with a singe NEW thread that involved just photos and descriptions

I am not sure if that is a good idea. Getting feedback to the photos seems an important part of this thread to me. After all, you don't need a forum for picture-posting-only, flickr or whatever service will do that just fine. In my most humble opinion it is about talking.

Breaking the thread apart into several threads dealing with different periods may splinter the community. Some may not be interested in seeing republican stuff (for example) - not knowing what they could miss. I had such experiences and I am happy that I saw republican pictures when browsing through this thread Wink

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Paul Elliott - 04-18-2012

Good point Smile

Quote:
Matt Collettivs Ave post=311019 Wrote:I would still by happy with a singe NEW thread that involved just photos and descriptions

I am not sure if that is a good idea. Getting feedback to the photos seems an important part of this thread to me. After all, you don't need a forum for picture-posting-only, flickr or whatever service will do that just fine. In my most humble opinion it is about talking.

Breaking the thread apart into several threads dealing with different periods may splinter the community. Some may not be interested in seeing republican stuff (for example) - not knowing what they could miss. I had such experiences and I am happy that I saw republican pictures when browsing through this thread Wink