RomanArmyTalk
Show here your Roman soldier impression - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show here your Roman soldier impression (/showthread.php?tid=2606)

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - joeandmich - 11-08-2011

Quote:Thanks Joe- and those are big questions, each deserving a thread on its own. For a start , the Late Roman oval shield was just as big as the early oval. And a combination of tactical evolution, external bright ideas brought in, and sheer fashion accounts for a lot.

The best book on the evolution of Roman Armour is still Roman Military Equipment by Bishop and Coulston. I strongly recommend it.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Roman-Military-Equipment-M-Bishop/dp/0713476273

And the drawings, courtesy of Mike Bishop

http://www.romanmilitaryequipment.co.uk/figures.htm

Thanks

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Gaius Julius Caesar - 11-08-2011

Quote:"Also the guys in the XIIIIth who wear Len Morgans also seem to have the same problem."

Really? It's never been a problem for me and like virtually all the others in the 14th mine is a Len Morgan. Until about five years ago the only people in the 14th who had this problem were people who had not done their belts up tightly enough due to the weight of the inaccurate cast brass handles of their daggers dragging them down as they were being put on. Those people who put their belts on and then attached their daggers never had a problem with their belts not staying in place. In fact, most of us made fun of the habit, adopted by a certain other group, of resting their belts on their tie loops, on the basis of the fact that it seemed to be a matter of the belts themselves not being the right size for the men.
Then, about five years ago a few newer members of the group started to have problems and took to using leather thongs to hold their belts in place. I couldn't help noticing at the time that this was also when people started buying equipment from Indian suppliers or making up their own belts from parts they had bought. Previous to that the same two or three people had made all our belts and they never gave us trouble.
Food for thought?

Crispvs

Of course Crispus you are always there to correct me! 8)
I got the idea from the time in the XIIIIth, and I only joined them in 2005
first event in 2006. Many of the members, not just new ones were tieing up their belts. Confusedmile:
And Crispus, your belt and kit were the one things I always remembered....always falling apart!

And yes, it is indeed food for thought! :wink:

John I wasn't aware you did any 1st Century reenacting? :eek:
Apart from the odd photo opportunity! Smile

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - John Conyard - 11-08-2011

I do a bit of everything. I average a 1st century legionary once a week. But I fear I generally prefer mail to a seg. It does not need cleaning. Confusedmile:

It is hard to find a picture showing how the seg fits my body shape. This comes close, but I have lost a fair bit of weight since this was taken last June.

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - comicus - 11-08-2011

John,
Great picture, I love the Pugio your wearing is that the Deepeeka silver one or is it a custom?

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Evgeny - 11-08-2011

[Image: 4037723fed06.jpg]

[Image: e9e4214fdf39.jpg]

[Image: 34855d0e6807.jpg]

Quote:I do a bit of everything. I average a 1st century legionary once a week. But I fear I generally prefer mail to a seg. It does not need cleaning. Confusedmile:

Try marching and spending a day or 2 in it!! :wink:

It is hard to find a picture showing how the seg fits my body shape. This comes close, but I have lost a fair bit of weight since this was taken last June.

Well I know you do the class room displays, but when do you do 1st century Re-enacting?
I have always taken it you were adverse to the early period... Confusedmile:

John's pugio is the Deepeeka Silver one, Mike.

This was a last event at Archaolink in Scotland, at the site of Mon's Graupius!
No professional hangers on to take pretty pictures unfortunately!

[attachment=2059]HeavyInfantry.pdf[/attachment]

[attachment]F:\\Don and Byron\\Optio COH I, Legio VIIII.bmp[/attachment]

[attachment]F:\\Don and Byron\\Optio edit.bmp[/attachment]
[img] /[img]

[attachment:1]F:\\Don and Byron\\Optio edit.bmp[/attachment]
[img] Optio edit.bmp[/ /[img]

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Virilis - 11-09-2011

Great pics Longus!

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - John Conyard - 11-09-2011

My "proffessional hanger on" says your are right, you don't make for a pretty picture! Big Grin

I am not adverse to much outside alchopops and American whiskey. I do most periods but Romans are very much the day job. I will wear my seg all day on Thursday and think of you. ;-)

The pugio was brought over by Cezar last February. I think he may have brought one for Piotr as well. Good value for the money.

Good pictures guys. I especially like the legionary about to finish off the barbarian.

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Gaius Julius Caesar - 11-09-2011

You can tell your professional hanger on, whatever his name is, thats the pot calling the kettle black.. Wink

Quote:I am not adverse to much outside alchopops and American whiskey. I do most periods but Romans are very much the day job. I will wear my seg all day on Thursday and think of you.

Yes, but I seem to recall a complete disdain for us early types and infantry in general.. :wink:

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - John Conyard - 11-09-2011

I think you now owe Catherine an apology, but I will let you make it in person.

And I fear your recollection is complete wrong. I have no distain for early Roman re-enactors or infantry in general.

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Gaius Julius Caesar - 11-09-2011

Hmmm, if you say so.. Wink