RomanArmyTalk
Show here your Roman soldier impression - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show here your Roman soldier impression (/showthread.php?tid=2606)

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - arklore70 - 10-31-2011

Jurgen,
looking awesome!!

A book to be published. Totally interested in that and definitely interested in purchasing that if it available to the public!!

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - arklore70 - 10-31-2011

[attachment=2000]IMG_0430.jpg[/attachment]

All, been a while but this is a picture of me as a Dacian Wars Centurio while at the 2011 Columbia Italian Festival.

I would like to here your comments. Based the impression off what I could find on archelogical finds printed in English, Adamklissi Meotopes, and a lot of help and assistance from Peronis.

The gladius is a Fulham/Mainz pattern copied off the Fulham find.. A few of the meotopes at least appear to me that some of the soldiers might be still using this weapon. I do have a Pompeii pattern gladius, that is just waiting on much better and deserving scabbard Smile

The pugio is copied off the Leeuwin find.

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Theodosius the Great - 10-31-2011

You look spectacular, Jurjen!

Those are some great poses. Are you wearing five rows of pteryges?

~Theo

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - jvrjenivs - 10-31-2011

Quote:Those are some great poses. Are you wearing five rows of pteryges?

No, In this picture I'm not wearing any pteryges to subarmalis at all. These are leather tight-guards, really interlaced like a lamellar type of armour, but then made for your upper leg. As far as I know only two of these pieces have been found, both in Dura Europos, where this replica is based on. However, it was the first time I used them and I already have some things I want to improve.

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Gaius Julius Caesar - 10-31-2011

Looking good Jurjen.

Same to you Mike!

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Darth_Roach - 10-31-2011

Nice impressions, everyone! Confusedmile:

After I finish my Achaemenid infantry impression, I think I'll start doing a legionary from the late Republic.

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Kai - 11-03-2011

Quote: Kai, here is attached a pic which perhaps will tell something about the scabbard solution of my spatha:
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd270/sattuviitana/sp1.jpg

Thanks a lot, that is interesting indeed! Coincidentally I am going for a very similar solution for my spatha scabbard (will show when it is finished...).

@ Jurjen

You are looking sharp, professional. That is the style for a soldier display.
Although I'd wish for more body-armour for a clibanarius. :twisted:

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - jvrjenivs - 11-03-2011

Quote:@ Jurjen

You are looking sharp, professional. That is the style for a soldier display.
Although I'd wish for more body-armour for a clibanarius. :twisted:

Thanks. And I'm still working on that kit!

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Paul Elliott - 11-03-2011

Mike, I like this alot! The greaves are later pattern aren't they, but fit the metopes well. Its a great impression!

Quote:[attachment=2000]IMG_0430.jpg[/attachment]

All, been a while but this is a picture of me as a Dacian Wars Centurio while at the 2011 Columbia Italian Festival.

I would like to here your comments. Based the impression off what I could find on archelogical finds printed in English, Adamklissi Meotopes, and a lot of help and assistance from Peronis.

The gladius is a Fulham/Mainz pattern copied off the Fulham find.. A few of the meotopes at least appear to me that some of the soldiers might be still using this weapon. I do have a Pompeii pattern gladius, that is just waiting on much better and deserving scabbard Smile

The pugio is copied off the Leeuwin find.

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Tita Iuventia Martia - 11-04-2011

Salvete omnes,

here is my latest photo:

[Image: TitaKlek2011forRAT.jpg]

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Crispvs - 11-04-2011

Mike,

The centurio impression looks very good. I do have a few (hopefully helpful) comments to make though.

Firstly the sword. Personally I am doubtful that Mainz swords carried on in use as late as the reign of Trajan, but I do follow your thinking here and agree that a lot of the scabbards shown on the metopes do seem to have a form similar to a Mainz sheath. If you are getting a Pompeii sheath done especially for a Trajanic impression, it might be interesting to see what you could do with the sinuous plantlike patterns shown on the metope scabbards. I get the impression that they are intended to show scabbards fronted by embossed metal plates.

Secondly, the dagger. Unfortunately I do not have the report on the Leeuwen pugio so do not know what its context was, but the latest dated type 'A' sheath I am aware of is the Corbridge fragment, datable to the AD80s. As the tang of the dagger itself appears to be a type 'I' tang I would think that it would date to the first half of the first century AD. Unfortunately, as the decoration of the dagger and scabbard is not paralleled by any other examples it is not possible to date it according to its decorative scheme, as one would be able to if it had one of the decorative styles commonly encountered. Personally I think a safer bet for a Trajanic period dagger would be one in a frame type sheath, although frustratingly here, none of the surviving examples can be dated to within fifty years either side of Trajan's reign and at some unknown point in this interval their form appears to have changed substantially.

Thirdly, belt plates. Although plates of that style are listed in B&C within the rather wide 'Augustus to Hadrian' range, in reality many distinct changes can be detected and followed within this time. Although type 'B' plates with concentric circle decoration did continue in service after the figural type had disappeared before or around the start of the Flavian period, by the time of Trajan's AD98-117 reign they probably be rather old fashioned and I think a well paid centurio would probably want a more modern and up to date style. Belt styles, after all, do appear to have been more affected by the winds of fashion than any item we know about. I would suggest that when you have time and money you get another belt specifically for the Trajanic period, featuring openwork plates. Don't think though that I don't like your belt - I actually think it looks very good. I just think it would go better with your second to third quarter of the first century AD impression.

I hope that seems constructive rather than critical.

Crispvs

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - arklore70 - 11-04-2011

Mithras/Paul and Crispvs,

Thank you both for the great constructive criticism which is exactly what I was looking for.

Mithras/Paul , you are correct on the greaves being a bit later in pattern. They were made by Matt Luke's as was the gladius and scabbard. I also own a earlier over the knee set of greaves.

Crispvs/Paul- in going through Miks, I did not find a scabbard that might fit.....then just now took a more critical look at scabbards and while I cannot read German, A596 and A606 might work, but I am not tracking or aware of any comple scabbard they do not appear to be embossed at all.

On the belt, I thought that the open plate finds we're not found or dated any earlier the the Antonine period or maybe a bit earlier to the Hadrian period.

I agree on the pugio. I also have a copy of the Melun pugio, but my thought was they were both comtemporay.

In my madness, I tend to default back to earlier deposits.

What has been a challenge with this snapshot in time is what seems to be a lack of deposits for such a major campaign at least published in English or Spainish. Might be a good topic in a different category here.

The comments are very very well taken gentlemen and why I posted here-to make good even better.

Tita, I like what I am seeing. Did you make your own balteus? It looks very well made.

Regards,

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Tita Iuventia Martia - 11-04-2011

AVe,
thank you for your answer. My military belt is made by local craftman. He completed this belt from the belt parts made by Deepeeka (the belt plates), Holger Ratsdorf (the appron straps ends - eagles) and the appron straps buttons are from Armamentaria. The leather parts (belt and straps) are made by local craftman. He also decorated the belt.

vale and best regards from Czech republic -)

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Caballo - 11-07-2011

New shield (early)

[Image: blackbataviancaballo.jpg]

New shield (late)

[Image: i-wrWxqKC-X2.jpg]

Shield put down somewhere and lost....

[Image: i-69fVMzg-L.jpg]

Back to posing....

[Image: i-rzB6Q4n-X2.jpg]

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Robert Vermaat - 11-08-2011

Great photos Paul! Stunning and very good quality kit.

What's that on your helmet's brow? Fabric decoration?