RomanArmyTalk
Show here your Roman soldier impression - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show here your Roman soldier impression (/showthread.php?tid=2606)

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Crispvs - 09-16-2011

Ah - you may think the Deepeeka dagger is big, but the Antonine period blade from Tuchyna is over a foot long - and that's not including the tang!
If you do get another dagger, I would suggest getting one with a frame type sheath, as I know of no evidence so far for the continuation of type 'A' and 'B' sheaths into the second century AD. The latest known depiction of a pugio is on the stele of C. Castricius Victor and unfortunately as far as I can tell from all the images I have ever seen of it, it is not depicted with sufficient detail to allow its type to be identified. However, it seems to be fairly clear that frame sheath carried on in use, but exactly what form those sheaths took is open to debate. The Titelberg, Exeter and Dangstetten sheaths probably all date to before AD50 and it would be naive to think that frame sheaths underwent no development over the next seventy or so years (in fact there are significant differences between these four examples, along with another from Tarent to divide them into at least three separate types, but, neither I nor anyone else has so far done this as far as I know due to the surviving sample being so small). By time the Techyna dagger was deposited, frame sheaths had undergone quite radical changes, certainly in construction and possibly also in form, but when these occurred and if they all occurred at once is unknown at present.
Therefore, I would tentatively suggest that either you do without a dagger for this impression (not all soldiers carried them anyway) or stick with the one you already have on the basis of the possibility that such sheaths and hilt types may have entered service as early as the second quarter of the second century AD (after all, the Techyna example is unlikely to have been new when deposited, but then again, as the bottom of the sheath is missing we do not know if it had the type of terminal found on the later Coptal Court and Kunzing examples or something more closely resembling the disc shaped terminals seen on earlier sheaths - you pay your money and take your choice I suppose).

Crispvs

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Vindex - 09-16-2011

Quote:Moi,

I did take a few rather poor quality photos along the way, but I don't think this is the right place for a 'how to' on making squamata. If you like I could start a separate thread for it though.

Crispvs

If you have the time that would be very kind, ta.

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Robert Vermaat - 09-16-2011

Looking good Paul!
Quote:I'm using as inspiration the following (Trajanic) painting by Russian artist Nikolay Zubkov, from the 1990s.
Crispus already mentioned the subarmalis. Personally I frown on the purple tunic colour of the artist's impression.

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Paul Elliott - 09-16-2011

Yes, that seemed an odd choice to me too. Almost any other colour would have done, except purple.

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Virilis - 09-16-2011

Quote:Yes, that seemed an odd choice to me too. Almost any other colour would have done, except purple.

Purple seemed to be restricted only to imperial family. If no-one has anything against it, I would like to make an impersonation of Julian Apostata in Gallia. Some more expensive gear combined with more robust ones, just trying to depict this bookworm in an act of trying to make himself more familiar with the troops in the camp. Anyway I will always keep my cuirass on, no matter how acute the situation is ;-) ! How does this sound or am I having delusions?

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Paul Elliott - 09-16-2011

Cool Virilis, you're not joking? ! Julian's my favourite Late emperor. Do you have a big beard? :mrgreen:

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Robert Vermaat - 09-16-2011

Quote:Cool Virilis, you're not joking? ! Julian's my favourite Late emperor. Do you have a big beard? :mrgreen:
Maybe not necessary. Julian did not always have a full beard. A nice image from Ken Broeders' Apostata (1): De Purperen Vloek (The Purpur Curse):
[attachment=1725]74489_2-apostata-1-de-purperen-vloek.jpg[/attachment]

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Virilis - 09-16-2011

Guys, I am as serious as the context of re-enactment allows! Unfortunately my beard is weak (no misopogon here) and my lower lip is not drooping. Then again I am always against the grain, babbling all the time and having strong shoulders! Some might notice also that I have choosen "purplish" colours by accident recently but what the heck!

Seriously again, I have always had a soft spot for Julian, despite the fact that he might be too obvious a choice (and Jona Lendering reminding me that his writings are in fact quite bad)...

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS - 09-28-2011

SALVE:

New Cavalry impression:

[Image: 100_8097.jpg]

(have to improve harness...)

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Gaius Julius Caesar - 09-28-2011

Looking wicked there Cesar! Cool

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - agrimensor - 09-28-2011

very , very nice

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS - 09-28-2011

[Image: 100_8094.jpg]

Yes, i'm wicked!!! :evil:

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Gaius Julius Caesar - 09-28-2011

Haha! it means the impression looks awesome!
Slang from the late seventies!
Great impression!

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - John Conyard - 09-28-2011

Good to see you in the saddle. Can I use the photos for future stuff on the web?

Cheers

John

John,

Saddle is made by your team, so you can use it. In a few weeks i will have my harness and will made more pictures with another horse. So, if you can wait, there will be better pictures.

As you can see in my signature, my cavalry group is called Ala Augusta.