RomanArmyTalk
Show here your Roman soldier impression - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show here your Roman soldier impression (/showthread.php?tid=2606)

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - FAVENTIANVS - 07-28-2011

Quote:The lamellar is like that because I am usually infantry! First time on a horse in a Roman saddle, and fun it was too.
Well I am also an infantry soldier but my lamellar is for cavalry... Wink

BTW, I can't see the images you posted about the straps... :roll:

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - P Sertorius Scaevola - 08-07-2011

Oh I wouldn't worry too much over the look and feel of timber in Roman times. They had ages of experience and suitable wood should be available most everywhere. A seasoned piece of ash could simply be shaved first into the desired shape and then finished by sanding ( ie using fish hide from shark or similar), the knob would be turned on a lathe. Woodworking has hardly changed since Roman times and there are some excellent books on it.

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Robert Vermaat - 08-08-2011

I like the comments folks, but please, keep the discussion about kit etc limited: this thread is about the pictures, discussions is meant for seperate threads. [MOD OUT]

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Robert Vermaat - 08-25-2011

My latest version of a Late Roman infantryman of the first line.

Image taken by Jacques Maréchal at the Late Roman Weekend, Museumpark Oriëntalis, Nijmegen, The Netherlands, 30-31 july 2011: http://www.pixures.be/web2011nijmegen2
[attachment=1532]2011_06.jpg[/attachment]

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Caballo - 08-25-2011

Looking good Robert!

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Tadius Danartus - 08-25-2011

Impressive!!

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Doc - 08-25-2011

Mike,

Personally, I would add many more pterygions to your subarmalis. If you look at the depictions, they are very rich skirts not one here and there. In otherwords, unless you are making very agressive movements, the skirt should cover the tunic completely.

Secondly, the crest having those patterns to distinguish the optio from the rest of the troops is a re-enactorism (AFAIK). Using a solid color would be better. From one sculpture, it appears that the optio had a staff with a bulb knob on top. This could suffice for identification

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - agrimensor - 08-26-2011

Mike,
I heard someting about a "optio's ring" this could do on your kit too.
succes with the kit.
btw robert you look very good too see you september 3

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - comicus - 08-28-2011

Robert,
I love your lorica squamata, it looks great with that kit.

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Titus Marius Secundus - 08-28-2011

That does look really nice, but just a suggestion, do you think the greaves would look nice silvered? Or tinned? I think it would suit it maybe a bit better than shiny brass. But your impression looks awesome. I am becoming more and more interested in the late Roman Empire because of guys like you :-)

Sam

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Doc - 08-28-2011

Sam,

Having the various colors of the natural metal is a good and realistic thing. I think it is a modern idea that we all have to match and be neat.

I like the fact that Robert has several things going on at once. The Romans as well as others in that era loved color including on their armor.

For instance, I have an iron helmet and brass musculata. I am not covering those items with anything. They will retain their natural color. Would it be wrong to silver the armor? Probably not but it is not wrong to leave it natural. Logically one would have to assume that not EVERY centurion or legionary had their stuff always silvered, tinned, or gilded. I am quite sure much of the stuff was left alone.

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Titus Marius Secundus - 08-28-2011

I see my apologies, I'm under terrible influence! Please forgive me :oops:

Sam

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Peroni - 08-31-2011

Auxiliary optio this weekend...
[Image: 9192.jpg]

and this is how the Batavians managed to capture the Roman ships during the revolt - SUBS! :mrgreen:
U-69AD

[Image: 1022.jpg]

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Robert Vermaat - 08-31-2011

Hi Sam,

Thanks for the praise! Please join us! We aim to create a bit more interest in the Later Roman period just by showing exiting how it can look. Big Grin

Quote:That does look really nice, but just a suggestion, do you think the greaves would look nice silvered? Or tinned? I think it would suit it maybe a bit better than shiny brass. But your impression looks awesome. I am becoming more and more interested in the late Roman Empire because of guys like you :-)
Like Paolo said - I wanted to create a bit more varied impression. I could have opted for a brass squamata of course, but I wanted variation in color when I chose my brass ocreae. My helmet btw shows both colors, and I also have a brass manica (not in this picture) to top off the impression. The red subarmalis (well, the pteryges, the rest is tan) also adds to the color-bomb, which I believe applied to the taste in color shown in mosaics from Late Antiquity.

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Robert Vermaat - 08-31-2011

Quote:Auxiliary optio this weekend...
and this is how the Batavians managed to capture the Roman ships during the revolt - SUBS!
Brilliant both!
I like that U-boat captain... Big Grin