RomanArmyTalk
Show here your Roman soldier impression - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show here your Roman soldier impression (/showthread.php?tid=2606)

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Nurglitch - 07-08-2011

Quote:Here are two of my latest ones:

What are your experiences with having the belt so high? Your segmentata seems to be quite big, does belting it so high help spread the weight?

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Peroni - 07-08-2011

Welcome Gary! :grin:

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Virilis - 07-08-2011

Well done Radka & Tadius! Radka, why such a long face :wink: ?

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Tadius Danartus - 07-08-2011

Thanks Virlis, Peroni and Caballo for your welcome
A drink you say Caballo? I understand you know many good wine merchants...

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Robert Vermaat - 07-08-2011

Quote:Currently involved in 4thC infantry impression with Comitatus in the UK.
Very nice indeed! Including the 'Gothic beard'! Big Grin

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - muskitear - 07-08-2011

DO you realise this thread was started 7 years and one month ago???????? Are you all still out there///Helooooooooooooooooooo

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Tita Iuventia Martia - 07-09-2011

Yes, we've noticed the length of this thread before Big Grin

About the belt and the segmentata - yes, the segmentata is a little bit bigger than my size, but not by much and I wear a thick subarmalis underneath. And I've never noticed I'm wearing my belt too high, its position feels natural for me. What helps me carry the weigth of my lorica is that thick subarmalis on my shoulders Smile

And about that long face... Well... I was trying to seem strict. Plus it was raining the whole day and in the end we had to pack away our tent and evacuate the camp site - we would have had to camp in some one to five centimetres of water otherwise. You can take a look at the beginning of the flood:

[Image: Zvikov2011_4.jpg]

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Paul Elliott - 07-09-2011

Having a son old enough to wear your clothes means of course you can do two impressions at once!

This is a 3rd century legionary and auxiliary in the forest. The auxiliary's cap, tunic and shield are inspired by the Dura finds.

[Image: SSL22143.jpg]

[Image: SSL22151.jpg]

[Image: SSL21985.jpg]

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Tadius Danartus - 07-09-2011

[attachment]C:\\fakepath\\Dalby 2.bmp[/attachment]
Another image - Genius not happy ;-)

I like your set-up Gary, it looks particularly at home in the middle of Yorkshire's Dalby Forest!

Word of caution though, this mega-thread is really for photos of individuals in kit, rather than camp scenes. Now we don't have a thread for that .... yet!

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Vindex - 07-09-2011

Paul

Can I just say that what I particularly like about your photographs here is that your kit looks "lived in". Practical and not too shiney shiney. Much more authentic I feel.

Thanks Moi! I take that as a massive compliment, but I do wonder why it looks so 'lived in'. I don't shave for the events, that helps, the armour is a bit rusty here and there which helps, the boots are well used ... other than that I'm not sure! I do try and use clothing materials that are duller in colour on purpose, and nothing too white...

Smile

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Tadius Danartus - 07-09-2011

Thank you Paul. Yes, I appreciate your thoughts on this, and I would certainly not want to compromise the concept of the thread here! Apologies to all if this has caused any "deep sighs"... I'll keep it to plain military dress. Perhaps I should start a camp scene thread?

Also while on, can I just echo Vindex comments about your images as well - very good.

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Caballo - 07-09-2011

No sooner suggested than done....http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat.html?func=view&catid=20&id=291522#291522

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Vindex - 07-09-2011

Quote:Thanks Moi! I take that as a massive compliment, but I do wonder why it looks so 'lived in'. I don't shave for the events, that helps, the armour is a bit rusty here and there which helps, the boots are well used ... other than that I'm not sure! I do try and use clothing materials that are duller in colour on purpose, and nothing too white...

Smile

Well it works...bit of rust is good (especially in Britain)

...a few artristic dents in the helmet and shield perhaps, but that may be going too far. :wink:

I am sure that since people have paid a lot of money for their kit they don't really want to beat it up but it certainly looks more realistic.