RomanArmyTalk
Show here your Roman soldier impression - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show here your Roman soldier impression (/showthread.php?tid=2606)

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - M. Demetrius - 12-24-2010

Nice tent, Musketear! And a good looking crest!

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - muskitear - 12-26-2010

Quote:Nice tent, Musketear! And a good looking crest!

The tent is a full leather 8 man tent. Owned by our group The LEGIIAVG Portsmouth England

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - muskitear - 12-26-2010

[attachment=0:3316wkdg]<!-- ia0 galif and new crest.jpg<!-- ia0 [/attachment:3316wkdg]

Now that is a nice crest. I have not worn the helmet or crest yet.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Vindex - 12-27-2010

Quote:
M. Demetrius:25l016ny Wrote:Nice tent, Musketear! And a good looking crest!

The tent is a full leather 8 man tent. Owned by our group The LEGIIAVG Portsmouth England

May I ask how much the tent weighs?

And that's a seriously smart crest!

You're not too far from me in Portsmouth!

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - muskitear - 12-27-2010

Quote:May I ask how much the tent weighs?
I reckon it must weigh about 140 lbs I cant lift it alone. It packs into an ex army jeep tent holdall. There are also the poles and up rights. It is designed to be set up on hard or soft standing. The poles all link with angled tube brackets to form a frame over which the leather is laid. The group do erect it in in schools for lectures etc

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Vindex - 12-27-2010

Quote:I reckon it must weigh about 140 lbs I cant lift it alone. It packs into an ex army jeep tent holdall. There are also the poles and up rights. It is designed to be set up on hard or soft standing. The poles all link with angled tube brackets to form a frame over which the leather is laid. The group do erect it in in schools for lectures etc

Hmm...that's some weight! Thank's for answering my question.

A supplementary I'm afraid...What are the poles/joints made of? Are they wood or have you had to give into health and safety and go for metal tubing?

(Wood would add considerably to the weight). Or do people think the poles/supports were sourced "locally" where ever the tent was erected? (Bit like modern camouflage net poles...)

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Gaius Julius Caesar - 12-28-2010

Nice tent, is that the DSC version?

Here is a photo of my poor attempt at a late Roman. Perhaps it will improve with time

[Image: LateInfantry.jpg]

[Image: Ordersrecievedwithdiligence.jpg]

Another with the head of Comitatus giving orders before sending us to our doom...Photos courtesy of the Comitatus website,(I think)

[Image: 47898_155078014507723_100000165764761_52...5437_n.jpg]

And another one I've nicked from AP.

[Image: 45657_1596292464526_1152410140_1733532_6800366_n.jpg]

And on parade with the XIIIIth at Corbridge in 2009.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Robert Vermaat - 12-28-2010

Quote:Here is a photo of my poor attempt at a late Roman. Perhaps it will improve with time
A good start Byron!

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Caballo - 12-28-2010

Looking good Byron-reminds me I need a new late mail coat now for my late impression ....

Quote:Looking good Byron-reminds me I need a new late mail coat now for my late impression ....

Well, I was after the longer sleeved version, but Ade said the ones he had were too big. Might fit you though.
I have one with a doubler that is supposed to be half sleeved, but they reach all the way to my wrists. I may remove the doubler after I've had a good laugh with it though... :twisted:

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - M. Demetrius - 12-28-2010

It's a lot easier to shorten the sleeves than lengthen them.... :wink:

BTW, in the photos below, you're the guy in the armor, right? I thought I recognized you.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - John Conyard - 12-28-2010

Byron is the one with the long lusciuos red hair Smile And the Taifali cavalry shield.

Byron, get a cloak/brooch plus a sword and you'll look good. Decorate the belt a bit more with propellor fittings and you'll look even better. Avoid the pull of dodgy pouches, and you'll get points for style.