RomanArmyTalk
Show here your Roman soldier impression - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show here your Roman soldier impression (/showthread.php?tid=2606)

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Gaius Julius Caesar - 11-09-2010

Even the Queen is on Facebook...

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Robert Vermaat - 11-09-2010

Yeah, but we can't 'poke' her. Sad

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Julius Verax - 11-09-2010

Poke the Queen ! good god man that would be an act of treason , off with his head lol . :lol: :lol:

Julius

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Doc - 11-09-2010

Byron,

The crestbox as mentioned was modified by me. I also made the caligae.

The rest is work by others (Matt Lukes, Brian Stobbs, and Claire Marshall)

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - PhilusEstilius - 11-09-2010

Paolo.

That looks just fantastic and as I also mentioned on Jurjen's topic one can see just how good the protection was around the face with those cheekplates.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Julius Verax - 11-12-2010

Hi All ,
I had a few pics took today up here in Northern Britannia , very windy and very cold but the sun was shinning . Thought I would put a few on here for you to look at . Hope you like them.

Julius .

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - M. Demetrius - 11-13-2010

Excellent stuff, but the belt all is wrong. Mail it to me and I'll fix it someday.... :lol: No, just kidding, it looks fine to me.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Doc - 11-13-2010

Very nice impression. However, I would get rid of those black arm bands. This is something that normally you would see part of the kit in movies which, we know, at least from reliefs and frescoes, were not worn.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Julius Verax - 11-13-2010

Thanks lads , The black vambraces are there to hide my tattoos , I know they are Crap but will try and come up with something else , any suggestions ? Would I get away with a long sleeve tunica ? remember Iam trying to do 1st Century AD.

Julius .

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - jvrjenivs - 11-13-2010

Quote:Thanks lads , The black vambraces are there to hide my tattoos , I know they are Crap but will try and come up with something else , any suggestions ? Would I get away with a long sleeve tunica ? remember Iam trying to do 1st Century AD.

As you seem to include some barbarian influences in your kit anyway (you wear trousers) I would say a long sleeved tunic is as good to do, and even better then those ugly vambraces, for sure.

jvrjenivs , Thats what I had in mind but I wasnt sure if a long sleeved Tunica would be ok and yes those vambraces are horrible but I have to hide my tattoos for work. Is everything else ok ?

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Crispvs - 11-13-2010

"emember Iam trying to do 1st Century AD."

Your helmet looks to be Imperial Italic 'G' or 'H', which would be appropriate for the late second century AD. Also, the earliest evidence for legionary soldiers wearing femenalia comes form the Adamklissi metopes, dating to the early second century AD. Other then these everything else looks to be fine for a mid to late first century AD impression. So, if you want to be late first century AD you might need to look at getting an earlier helmet type and finding some other way to keep your legs warm (see the following link for cold weather kit advice):
http://www.romanarmy.net/coldweather.htm

If you would rather be mid to late second century AD to fit with your helmet, your Corbridge type armour would be looking forty or fifty years out of date, although there may still have been a few examples around. Your belt would need to be replaced with one appropriate for your period (belt fashions seem to have changed more quickly than anything else) and you would need a different sword, possibly with a ring pommel and whose scabbard had a peltate chape and possibly slide suspension. You would also need more up to date footwear. For a mid to late second century AD impression a long sleeved tunic would probably be fine.

Regarding the problem of tattoos, a small number of members of my own group have this same problem and most simply cover them with bandages, which gives the impression of minor injuries to the forearms which are in the process of healing. There are any number of everyday activities which could rip up your forearms, particularly if you spend time foraging for food or doing manual work.

Nice impedimenta by the way.

I hope this helps.

Crispvs

Thanks Crispvs ,
Iam in the process of getting a new Helmet and Sword as for the tattoos Iam sure the bandages will help so thanks for that . Everything you have said has been taken onboard .

Julius.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - M. Demetrius - 11-13-2010

Paul, there is a theatrical makeup that is specifically designed to cover tattoos. (So many actors/actresses have to show skin in films, and the tattoos are not part of the script) Also there are dozens of shades to match skin colors that go on over that so it's hard to tell that there's makeup in the first place.

Bandages, maybe with a spot or two of "dried blood" in appropriate places seem like an easier fix, though.

Demetrius ,
You know I never thought of that , Good man .

Thanks,
Julius.