RomanArmyTalk
Show here your Roman soldier impression - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show here your Roman soldier impression (/showthread.php?tid=2606)

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Virilis - 06-01-2010

Hi guys!

What type of bows do you have (Kassai, Toth, Grozer?) and how about the draw weights?

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Gaius Julius Caesar - 06-01-2010

Hungarian by Grozer. Its amazing how small it is once strung. Also how lively it is when unstringing it.
I think starting a family may be a good plan before I use it again Big Grin

I am hoping to get a bit of practice in before Kelmarsh in July....

We had a medieval archer there with us, who suggested getting a bow stringer, I wonder if this is a good idea with these compound bows.
Basically, a strong cord, wit h leather loops, which attach to the ends, you stand on the cord, pull up on the bow, an slip the strings into the nocks....
Seempuls! :wink: :wink:

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Robert Vermaat - 06-01-2010

Quote:Hungarian by Grozer.
Bit like mine (below)?

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Gaius Julius Caesar - 06-01-2010

Quote:
Gaius Julius Caesar:1ckipliv Wrote:Hungarian by Grozer.
Bit like mine (below)?

Picture? Smile

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Doc - 06-01-2010

Excellent sagum Robert.

I actually have on order with her a paludamentum for my centurio impression.

She really does good work.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - jvrjenivs - 06-01-2010

wonderful Robert. I especially like Jeroens new tunic (and the bows, but you knew that already)

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Crispvs - 06-02-2010

Here is my bow. Well actually, mine is the unstrung one to the left. Unfortunately I haven't got a picture of me using it, but this is the picture I was sent of it when I ordered it.

It is a Grozer Hungarian Extra 1C, with a rather gentle 38lb draw weight.

[Image: boww.jpg]

This is it in a more domestic setting.

[Image: Bowquiverarrows-1.jpg]

Crispvs

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Virilis - 06-03-2010

Paul, a lovely bow indeed Big Grin !

I have been toying with an idea of buying a bow like this too (Grozer Hungarian Extra 1C). I would like to have it with a 100# draw weight, I think that would have been suitable for a roman archer. Do you guys think that it would be a good option for a late roman archer? I know Grozer Hungarian Extra 1C is a good bow to shoot with, don`t know about the shooting qualities of the Grozer "roman" bow...

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Gaius Julius Caesar - 06-03-2010

Quote:Paul, a lovely bow indeed Big Grin !

I have been toying with an idea of buying a bow like this too (Grozer Hungarian Extra 1C). I would like to have it with a 100# draw weight, I think that would have been suitable for a roman archer. Do you guys think that it would be a good option for a late roman archer? I know Grozer Hungarian Extra 1C is a good bow to shoot with, don`t know about the shooting qualities of the Grozer "roman" bow...

I went for the Grozer Hun Extra, but it has a 65lb pull.
The Roman bow is a generic one, not based on any artifact.
I thought you had one of these alreaqdy Virilis.

Crispius, it that the one you had at Lunt last year?

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Crispvs - 06-03-2010

Well, let me see...

I own one helmet, two blue feathers, one pilum, one hasta, one lorica segmentata, one military belt, one shield, one sword (although I also have another on long term loan), one pugio, one blue tunic, one red tunic, one undyed tunic with clavi, one fascia ventralis, one focale, one toga, one cloak, one set of leg wraps, one set of socks, so - surprise, surprise I only own the one bow as well (although I do currently have twenty three arrows, rather than just one).

In answer to the question then: yes, it is the same bow, although I have made the quiver more recently. Hopefully I won't be the unit comedy act when using it this year though. :roll:

Who is this 'Crispius' character, by the way? That would be something like: 'the guy from the Curly family', and although my son certainly does have very curly hair that doesn't apply to the rest of my family. Did you, perchance, mean to say 'Crispvs' :wink:

Crispvs

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Gaius Julius Caesar - 06-03-2010

Quote:Well, let me see...

In answer to the question then: yes, it is the same bow. Hopefully I won't be the unit comedy act when using it this year though. :roll:

Who is this 'Crispius' character, by the way? That would be something like: 'the guy from the Curly family', and although my son certainly does have very curly hair that doesn't apply to the rest of my family. Did you , perchance, mean to say 'Crispvs' :wink:

Crispvs
No, I'm sure I'll be getting the roastings for my efforts unless I manage to get some practice in, so you should be safe.....

Crispius, Crispiest, Crispus......all one and the same :mrgreen: You finally bit on that one lol

The reason I was asking is that my memory seems to have it as a tan colour, but must be thinking of someone elses.
Very nice bow, I might add.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Gaius Julius Caesar - 06-04-2010

And then there were four....
We did have five soldiers at one point, but he was avolunteer who had other duties.
He may join us though, the season is young....

[Image: Advance.jpg]

[Image: Readytoassault.jpg]

[Image: scarydude.jpg]

Would have prefered this shot with thetheilenhoffen helmet, but time was running out...

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Rhun - 06-04-2010

Hello.

Back to Virilis and Crispus with the compound bows. I have four Grozer bows - the Old Scythian, the base Turkish, the extra Hunnish, and the Magyar base with a C-or squashed V-shape unstrung. The Hunnish bow is beautiful with its light tan horn on the belly of the limbs, the grip, and entirely covering the siyahs. But I actually prefer the Magyar. It is much faster and smoother than the Hun. It is, however, tricky to string. Its shape changes radically when stringing it, and it is very flexible and can twist easily if it is not carefully and smoothly controlled. That is perhaps why Grozer does not generally offer bows with this shape. The C- or V- shape is attested by excavated examples, to judge by the position of the surviving horn components in the burial, but the flatter, slightly curved shape unstrung that Grozer generally uses for his Hunnish, Roman, Avar, and Magyar bows is also supported by archaeological finds. I just like the springy dynamics of the C-shape more. Still, the shape of the Magyar siyahs is a later medieval form; it is longer and different than the siyahs of late Roman times if finds from Roman military sites like Corbridge are any indication. Perhaps if Grozer made the Roman bow in the extra format with horn plates but with the C-shape, we would have a bow that handled really nicely as well one very appropriate for late Roman re-enactment. Anyhow, you guys must be much bigger and tougher than I am. I cannot draw a bow of more than fifty pounds t my ear. I am reminded of the old Hungarian saying that bows of less than seventy five pounds are for old men and girls.

All the best,
David (Rhun)

Actually, the drawing of my 65 is not anything like the problem I thought it would be. The
tricky bit is stringing it(especially on your own) I had a couple of experienced hands helping me the first time, and still almost nuetered myself :lol:
I should have worn armour.... :lol:

This is my bow, none of my own pics yet

http://www.grozerarchery.com/htm/magyar/ex3/j/6.htm

Another with out the details but otherwise identical
http://www.grozerarchery.com/htm/magyar/ex3/j/1.htm