RomanArmyTalk
Show here your Roman soldier impression - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show here your Roman soldier impression (/showthread.php?tid=2606)

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Marcus Germanicus Ferox - 06-07-2005

Ah yes and tha'ts the other one. Bet they didn't all this posting lark trouble 2000 years ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Image: kl_MarkLittlewood2.jpg]

Cheers meum commes. Comments welcome - preferably good but i'll gird my loins anyway!

*Edited your post Mark. There can be no spaces in or around your URL. JO*

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Marcus Germanicus Ferox - 06-07-2005

[Image: url%5D]

Just about to give up now!!

No I'm not last try!!

[Image: kl_MarkLittlewood1.jpg]

*Trouble is in the space between jpg and the closing tag. I removed it and it should now work. JO*

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - FAVENTIANVS - 06-07-2005

I don't think it is wrong an auxiliary with pilum, nor a legionary with hasta, I think they would have been mixed equipped depending in what units they where... or the mission they had...

It looks really good Ferox!

It would look better with the mail ungalvanized (10 lt. white vinegar, 8 hours) and without the arm guards.

Just my humble opinion... :roll:

Have more pics of your comrades?

1st Century Aux impression. - Marcus Germanicus Ferox - 06-08-2005

Salve Faventianvs

Thankyou for your comments. I shall try the vinegar treatment. Will it affect the leather? Should I give it a good dose of neatsfoot oil first? Interested in your comment about the vambraces. Would they not have been used?

Vale

Ferox.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS - 06-08-2005

Vinegar can affect the leather depending the tanning procedure it have been made. But i think not too seriously. If you put some neatsfoot oil or better wax, vinegar don't affect at all, because a thin protector film is created by that substance.

But remember to make the procedure in a well ventiled area, and IMMEDIATELY after the desgalvanization put some oil (machine oil, gun oil or so) or you can see in a few minutes how your hamata change to a brown colour. (by the oxid). Before putting the oil you can get out the vinegar remains with a soaking of water or water with bicarbonate.

The final appereance will be a lot better.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - FAVENTIANVS - 06-08-2005

Yes, AVI is right...

About the armguards... I don't deny they could have been used... but not as much as movies show!

We know about the gladiatorial - though Dacian wars - right arm guard (or left for the retiarii) and the one used by the 8th or 7th century b.C. early hoplite, but I think it as an exception to the norm, you gotta have your right arm with a good and free movement.

There were the archers left one too...

Mail gloves could have been used too... battle re-enactors use'em succesfully...

More opinions wanted on the subject!

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Robert Vermaat - 06-09-2005

Guys, we're still in the 'show your Roman impression' thread here.
I'd love to hear more about the use of the manicae, but can we move it to a seperate thread please? 8)

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Magnus - 06-09-2005

Here's an updated picture of me...manica and all, from Roman Days 2005.

[Image: Magnusfullshot.jpg]

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Praefectusclassis - 06-09-2005

Well, I guess it's time to promise to include a gallery of Roman military impressions on RA.com 'New Design'.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - FAVENTIANVS - 06-13-2005

Yep! That'd be great!

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Helena Pictoria - 06-21-2005

Avete.... just editing the post I'd previously worded beginning with 'cor, boys....' followed by a double entendre about equipment. Decided this isn't the appropriate place to be drooling over hunky sword-wielding blokes....

Now you're wondering, just WHOSE pictures did I have in mind?javascript:emoticon(':twisted:')

... now before maritus meus delectus me necabit, honey, you'd look great in a tunic *hint*

Pictoria

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Tasciavanous - 06-29-2005

This is my Auxillia impression the idea is tha I'm a Briton that has seen the light of rome so I've a few "native" bits and bobs as part of my kit. [Image: Auxillia.bmp]

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Tasciavanous - 06-29-2005

Ok given the lack of image can any one help? what have I managed to do wrong?

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - FAVENTIANVS - 06-29-2005

Needs to be in JPG format.