RomanArmyTalk
Show here your Roman soldier impression - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show here your Roman soldier impression (/showthread.php?tid=2606)

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - jvrjenivs - 05-28-2010

Quote:Dona militaria (phalerae, torques) are for every soldier. You must know that!

Can you tell where you base that on. I think this is an very interesting statement. I was in the impression that dona militaria, such as crowns and armilla were awarded to every soldier, but that phalerae sets and torques were just worn by the officers, as they were bigger awards, also for the group of soldiers under command.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Aurelianus - 05-28-2010

Hi Richie

Glad to meet you again (not at the same place but still Roman :wink: )

Patrik

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Pontius Agrippa - 05-28-2010

Hi Valerius,

you right if you wrote that it seems a bit overdone. We use the dona militaria just for a parade like this here in Rome.
Normally we don´t use this things. When we are in daily service we don´t borne it.

At the moment we are one officier (you can see it because of my shoes), an Cornicen, an Vexillarius and three troopers. There is no Optio.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Pontius Agrippa - 05-29-2010

Quote:
Pontius Agrippa:3o18pbwh Wrote:Dona militaria (phalerae, torques) are for every soldier. You must know that!

Can you tell where you base that on. I think this is an very interesting statement. I was in the impression that dona militaria, such as crowns and armilla were awarded to every soldier, but that phalerae sets and torques were just worn by the officers, as they were bigger awards, also for the group of soldiers under command.

Here are two pics of tombstones that cause my opinion.
I hope that is sufficient material but I look for the origin text that base my statement.
Give me some time.

Greetings from Cologne

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - jvrjenivs - 05-29-2010

Thanks Ritchie! These pictures are quite interesting. I especially like the piture of the equites you put forward. I'm going to study them for sure.
Seems I've to visit Bonn again Big Grin

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS - 05-30-2010

A nice picture made by Ram Giner at past Tarraco Viva festival.

[Image: _5292960.jpg]

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Crispvs - 05-30-2010

Ritchie

I haven't seen either of those stones before. Thanks!

I notice that the cavalryman's face is turned out towards the viewer (on the stone itself rather than the drawing). This puts him in company with just two others I know of. One is Longinus Sdapeze from Colchester, who was faceless for a long time (and was generally assumed to have been in profile) but when his face turned up about six years ago it turned out to be facing out to the viewer, and the stone found about four years ago in Lancaster, where the cavalryman was also shown with his face turned out towards the viewer.

Regarding the award of phalerae to regular soldiers, I think one of the reasons why it is often assumed that they were only awarded to officers is that books and magazines (and the R.A.com imagebase for that matter) generally only show pictures of figural stelae. These are, of course, the most visually impressive and also provide us with the best images of soldiers, but all too often it is the same handful of stones which are shown (how many popular books on the Roman army feature M. Favonius Facilis or T. Flavius Bassus by comparison with (for example) P. Sulpicius Peregrinus or Nertus Lingauster, to name but two). It is also incredibly rare for a stone without a figural representation to make it into the pages of a popular book or magazine, even though these are actually more numerous than the figural stones. A number of stones exist though, which show representations of phalerae, which are of rank an file soldiers, or of former soldiers who do not appear to have progressed past the rank of miles gregarius.

Cesar,

That looks VERY good. Well done!

Crispvs

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - jvrjenivs - 05-31-2010

Wow, Cesar. That is certainly awesome. Well done! I hope you enjoyed your first event as a cavalrymen Big Grin

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Gaius Julius Caesar - 06-01-2010

Well, here is my first outing as an optio, thanks to the troops for their patience this weekend!!

[Image: DSCF0042-1.jpg]

Also as heavy infantry...

[Image: DSCF0061-1.jpg]

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - arklore70 - 06-01-2010

Byron and Cesar,
both you guys look really great.

Cesar, did you find riding that you hamata beat against you at all and that your hamata hooks might have been prone to come undone? I am just curious as I have heard a couple of guys here in the States make those observations. If you did encounter those problems, did you come up with any remedies?

Byron, what is that in the front of your crest? It looks like leather cord used to tie/secure your crest to your helm, but is it?
R/

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Caballo - 06-01-2010

Looking good guys!
Byron, see you've gone for the Hod Hill slasher as well- how do you find it ?

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Robert Vermaat - 06-01-2010

Some images of new stuff from Fectio:

I can't help showing off my new sagum made by Claire Marshall (during a school visit from both of my kid's classes), Jeroen's new tunic and our bows.
I know, it's not something as good as a horse (you look great, Cesar!!).... :wink:

[Image: DSC01902.jpg]

[Image: DSC01912.jpg]

[Image: DSC01861.jpg]

[Image: DSC01871.jpg]

Quote:Byron and Cesar,
both you guys look really great.
Thanks Mike! Great shot Cesar, I am quite jealous!! Big Grin

Quote:
Byron, what is that in the front of your crest? It looks like leather cord used to tie/secure your crest to your helm, but is it?
R/
Gee, I was hoping no one would notice.... :roll: I could lie and say it is ment to add to the crest design :roll: :oops:
but yes you are correct, leather ties attaching crest. I probably could have gotten away without the front tie, as the ring
slips over the front hook nicely, but as a first outing as Optio, thought it would be a tad embarrassing if it came off in front of the public....
messing up commands is enough red face moment for one day....

@ Robert, nice pictures.

Quote:Looking good guys!
Byron, see you've gone for the Hod Hill slasher as well- how do you find it ?

Thanks Caballo!
Pretty good on the whole, but a tad long when wearing the seg, as it compounds the issue of trying to reinsert it in the scabbard.
Also trips me up easier :oops:
I had it attached directly to the belt, and it seemed to want t slide around infront of my leg all the time.
Will probably make abigger effort to get it in the right position next time. Was a bit rushed getting out
on the field.

Also strung the new bow for the first time, but did not get out on the field with it.
Weather beat me again... Sad

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Robert Vermaat - 06-01-2010

Quote:Also strung the new bow for the first time, but did not get out on the field with it.
Weather beat me again... Sad
You have a new bow as well? What type?