RomanArmyTalk
Show here your Roman soldier impression - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show here your Roman soldier impression (/showthread.php?tid=2606)

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - brennivs - tony drake - 05-08-2010

Flavivs brillant stuff Big Grin D
Regards Brennivs Big Grin

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Crispvs - 05-08-2010

Very impressive indeed!

I would have thought however, that your impression is probably a few decades after the Punic wars, perhaps nearer the time of the Roman victory over the Macedonians at Pydna, which I actually think is really good, considering that I have yet to see another really good impression of the army of the mid second century BC. Very well done! Keep it up! Big Grin

Crispvs

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Cheyenne - 05-09-2010

Both those Late Roman and Republic pics get a thumbs up from me... Excellent stuff - I particularly like the deep colours in the republican tunics Smile

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Agraes - 05-21-2010

Late 5th century, the last roman soldiers in Western Armorica :wink:

[Image: P1000762.jpg]

[Image: P1000705.jpg]

[Image: P1000703.jpg]

[Image: P1000738.jpg]

[Image: P1000770.jpg]

[Image: P1000773.jpg]
:mrgreen:

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Crispvs - 05-22-2010

Very nice pictures. I would have thought that by that time an Intercissa type helmet could have been around 150 years old but then, if it was still serviceable I am sure it would still have been in use.

Crispvs

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Robert Vermaat - 05-22-2010

Quote: I would have thought that by that time an Intercissa type helmet could have been around 150 years old but then, if it was still serviceable I am sure it would still have been in use.
Why a 150 years old? They did not stop making them in AD 300, I think...

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Agraes - 05-22-2010

Quote:Very nice pictures. I would have thought that by that time an Intercissa type helmet could have been around 150 years old but then, if it was still serviceable I am sure it would still have been in use.

Crispvs

Thanks Big Grin

All the known helmets of the type are dated to the 4th century, yet it is possible they were well used into the 5th. Helmets displayed on the Santa Marria Maggiore mosaics (circa 430) or on the Vergilius Romanus codex (5th century, possibly from Britain) are much reminescents of the type. Of course it could also be pseudo-attic helmets and artistical convention. Ridge helmets on the whole were probably still produced as they seems to be the direct ancestors of the Anglo-saxon 7 and 8th centuries helmets such as Pioneer/Wollaston or Coppergate. The Sutton Hoo helmet itself bears much ressemblance to the Berkasovo type if you take out the mask and the decoration.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Crispvs - 05-22-2010

I should perhaps have been a little clearer. Certainly they were in use by the time of Constantine, as one is clearly shown on the Arch of Constantine, providing what we might take as a terminus anti quem. I deliberately used the word 'could' to suggest that such a helmet *could* have been 'as much as' 150 years old, not to suggest that it actually *would* be. Sorry if this was not clear.
Also, I was presuming that by 'late 4th centry' a setting of the last quarter of the fifth century was probably being suggested.

Please don't get me wrong. I am not trying to suggest that a) old helmets would not remain in service
or b) that Intercissa helmets would not have been manufactured for a lengthy period.
I just felt that the last quarter of the fifth century seemed rather late for one to be brand new. But yes, I am familiar with the (assumed) construction of the Sutton Hoo helmet and thus I do accept the possibility that two part helmet construction may have remained in practice later than extant examples might suggest, although it is also possible that the Sutton Hoo helmet was already old when deposited and also that it may have been copied from earlier helmets (the remains of a ridge similar to that of the Sutton Hoo helmet were amongst the recently discovered Staffordshire Hoard, which was probably deposited in the late AD670s).

Crispvs

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Agraes - 05-22-2010

Quote:Please don't get me wrong. I am not trying to suggest that a) old helmets would not remain in service
or b) that Intercissa helmets would not have been manufactured for a lengthy period.
I just felt that the last quarter of the fifth century seemed rather late for one to be brand new. But yes, I am familiar with the (assumed) construction of the Sutton Hoo helmet and thus I do accept the possibility that two part helmet construction may have remained in practice later than extant examples might suggest, although it is also possible that the Sutton Hoo helmet was already old when deposited and also that it may have been copied from earlier helmets (the remains of a ridge similar to that of the Sutton Hoo helmet were amongst the recently discovered Staffordshire Hoard, which was probably deposited in the late AD670s).

We agree here Big Grin
Some people from our group use late roman ridge helmets. It is of course an hypothesis as the last dated elements are from the early 5th century (for the Concesti helmet). Otherwise we use a lot of late 5th-early 6th spangenhelms. I opted myself. for a helmet which owns to both anglo-saxon ridge helmets and late roman helmets :wink:

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - John Conyard - 05-22-2010

I think that such helmets could survive in Roman service, but be soon broken up for bullion value if lost to the army. The Concesti helmet may be an exception.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Lessa - 05-23-2010

hi guys, here some photos from Roma dies natalis, our unit, the Cohors II Sardorum, from Sardinia, Italy.

[Image: piegamenti.th.jpg]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[Image: testingourtestudo.th.jpg]

testing our testudo

[Image: ahundredkg.th.jpg]

our centurio (almost one hundred Kg) speaking on the testudo.

[Image: testcu.th.jpg]

a little present to the unit next to our
[Image: cohv.th.jpg]

and this beautifull group of Dacii
[Image: dacii.th.jpg]

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS - 05-23-2010

A nice shot of my cavalry helmet, from a visitor of our festival Tarraco Viva:

[Image: 4632322197_8fecc6114a.jpg]

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - jvrjenivs - 05-23-2010

wow, too great. I love it. Well done. Laudes!

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Robert Vermaat - 05-23-2010

Quote:A nice shot of my cavalry helmet, from a visitor of our festival Tarraco Viva:
VERY well done!!

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Caballo - 05-24-2010

Wow......