RomanArmyTalk
Show here your Roman soldier impression - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show here your Roman soldier impression (/showthread.php?tid=2606)

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Gaius Julius Caesar - 01-16-2010

[Image: WMrom04.jpg]
After being shocked and amazed by the temerity of the Caledonians, we prepared to do battle....

[Image: WMrom05.jpg]
After suitably trouncing the opposition while receiving only light casualties ourselves, we gave thanks to Jupiter and Mars!(and the Emperor)

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Crispvs - 01-16-2010

Gosh Byron! I had no idea Nunu had been promoted so far up the ranks since I last saw him. Very nice impression though. He and I have already discussed his armour and I understand. I must say though, either the chap to your right is on his way to bed (judging by the yawn) and has forgotten to take off his equipment, or for the sake of common decency he needs to hitch his tunic up be a good four inches or so. :wink:

Crispvs

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Evgeny - 01-24-2010

winter yield, thermal -25, legio v macedonica

[Image: f32ca0fb73e2.jpg]

[Image: 2d9575787dda.jpg]

[Image: 71cea993112e.jpg]

[Image: 4f2496c5a0d6.jpg]

[Image: 79c0e2c50d5e.jpg]

[Image: bfdb695c6ea3.jpg]

[Image: 17b5305602a4.jpg]

[Image: 4e886555f80a.jpg]

[Image: b86c4824d8b7.jpg]

[Image: bad5e5f4ffd8.jpg]

[Image: 7d254c0d3e10.jpg]

[Image: 566420d79072.jpg]

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Virilis - 01-24-2010

Wow, great athmospheric photos, Longus Confusedhock: !

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Marcus F. - 01-26-2010

Funny, Byron and Longus are wearing the same helmet type, but Byron chose the version with a brow guard.

http://daniyalsteelcrafts.blogspot.com/ ... -type.html

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - kevair464 - 02-17-2010

Um...Legionaries off duty...a little to much wine...and this sounded like a good idea...to who i don't know

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Virilis - 02-17-2010

Kevin, shouldn`t this be on the thread "gay parades in antiquity" Confusedhock: ...

theres a thread for that? i must have missed that one......

To defend my not being "Gay" lol....here is me and my wife Aemelia Stella at the same event...before the alchohol hit...late late Republican optio, Roman plebian woman (soldiers illegal wife, lol)

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Virilis - 02-17-2010

Kevin, I prefer this individual much more than the former :wink: ...

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Lucius Duccius Rufinus - 02-17-2010

Quote:Gosh Byron! I had no idea Nunu had been promoted so far up the ranks since I last saw him. Very nice impression though. He and I have already discussed his armour and I understand. I must say though, either the chap to your right is on his way to bed (judging by the yawn) and has forgotten to take off his equipment, or for the sake of common decency he needs to hitch his tunic up be a good four inches or so. :wink:

Crispvs

That chap would be me! and i was screaming to the gods Smile just not a very flattering photo!
and longer tunic required up in "sunny" scotland!

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Gaius Julius Caesar - 02-17-2010

Quote:
Crispvs:3ppqoaiz Wrote:Gosh Byron! I had no idea Nunu had been promoted so far up the ranks since I last saw him. Very nice impression though. He and I have already discussed his armour and I understand. I must say though, either the chap to your right is on his way to bed (judging by the yawn) and has forgotten to take off his equipment, or for the sake of common decency he needs to hitch his tunic up be a good four inches or so. :wink:

Crispvs

That chap would be me! and i was screaming to the gods Smile just not a very flattering photo!

I'll go with the gravity theory....
:wink:

Crispus is right though, a soldiers tunic is above the knee, a disgraced soldier would have his belt removed and tunic allowed to fall below the knees, like a wretched civilian!! More punishment duties on the way, young man!!! :twisted:

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Lucius Duccius Rufinus - 02-17-2010

Quote:
Lucius Duccius Rufinus:4rj56qpi Wrote:
Crispvs:4rj56qpi Wrote:Gosh Byron! I had no idea Nunu had been promoted so far up the ranks since I last saw him. Very nice impression though. He and I have already discussed his armour and I understand. I must say though, either the chap to your right is on his way to bed (judging by the yawn) and has forgotten to take off his equipment, or for the sake of common decency he needs to hitch his tunic up be a good four inches or so. :wink:

Crispvs

I'll go with the gravity theory....
:wink:

Crispus is right though, a soldiers tunic is above the knee, a disgraced soldier would have his belt removed and tunic allowed to fall below the knees, like a wretched civilian!! More punishment duties on the way, young man!!! :twisted:

In my defense, Centurion NuNu made my tunic for me, and its FARRRRR to big!

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - jvrjenivs - 02-17-2010

Quote:In my defense, Centurion NuNu made my tunic for me, and its FARRRRR to big!

Thats no defence. That have should get you thinking! LOL

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Crispvs - 02-17-2010

I am afraid that the is no such thing as a tunic which is too big. Your body is probably just too small. :lol:

Seriously though, unbelted, your tunic should hang to around mid-calf length. Before you put any hard kit on, tie a waist tie of some sort reasonably tightly around your waist. Then hitch your tunic up over this until the lower edge of your tunic hangs a few inches above your knees at both front and back. Don't worry about it being huge and baggy around your torso - it is supposed to be like that - get used to it! If you get cold put on another tunic over the first one before you hitch them up. This is what the Romans would have done. For other bona fide ideas on how to keep warm as a Roman in cold weather, have a look at my article on cold weather kit by clicking on the link under my signature.
Don't forget that if you are going to kit yourself out as a Roman soldier, that kit should include your cold weather kit. In fact you should think of your cloak, extra tunic, lower leg coverings and socks as as much a part of your basic kit as your tunic and boots. If you have this kit you quickly find that your knees stop feeling cold without having to go all girly and wear your tunic below your knees. :wink:

Crispvs