RomanArmyTalk
Show here your Roman soldier impression - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show here your Roman soldier impression (/showthread.php?tid=2606)

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - M. Demetrius - 04-07-2009

Velite! Kevin, what do you use for javelins? When you get around to it, let me know how you think a velite would carry 5 javelins in his shield hand, without damaging his bod with all those points. According to what we read, that's what they did. I can't figure it out, unless the grip on the parma is vertical, or, the shield is held sideways while carrying the javelins.

I don't have any javelin heads yet, but I have that on the to do list to make some like the ones seen on this cover. Several steps in the smithing, but nothing too hard. Sort of like miniature socketed pila.

Edited in: Kevin's post should actually follow mine...I hit the send button before attaching the picture. So I deleted the first post. Sigh. I got ahead of myself again.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Peroni - 04-07-2009

Quote:I can't figure it out, unless the grip on the parma is vertical, or, the shield is held sideways while carrying the javelins.

If you are using a round shield, it doesn't matter which way it is held! :wink:

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - M. Demetrius - 04-07-2009

True, Peroni, except perhaps for the blazon's being sideways. From a mechanical/wrist perspective, I think it would have to be sideways. When I have my first batch of javelins, I'll test it out and see what I can come up with. That's near the top of the list, but not quite top. It's important to be able to throw without having any fear of dragging the throwing arm across the points of the javelins, too, or gouging yourself in the face/neck as the body bends forward. We'll see how it goes.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - kevair464 - 04-07-2009

Haven't the faintest idea how they carried that many, again thats just a picture but in trying it its had enough to just hold 2 and the shield in one hand. They must have used a quiver type of system if they really did carry 6. Below is a picture of my "idea" of attachment for 2, used 2 cupric alloy (yes its copper) pipe fitting holders (working on making them look more period) as clips and attached them to the back of the shield. These hold the javalins in place well and are simple enough to remove and throw. I tried tying them to the back, they tended to either slip or bind when trying to pull out. Also tried just carrying them with the shield, but this is VERY uncomforatble and makes the shield unwieldly. Again this is a conjecture of what I've found works quite well.

The paint is not that shiney, I had to change the contrast on the pictures so you can see the connection method better

How do you get those javelins out in a hurry Kevin?

They also look very 'heavy'. Most small javelin head sockets are no larger than 20mm at the mouth suggesting a lighter shaft.

They are actually quite light, i didn't weigh them but they are by no means any more than 1 or 2 lbs. The metal bends very easily, if you look where it is screwed in (yes again this is modern but i wanted to make sure this would work first before riveting), I used 2 leather squares like washers, these move, but also force the metal back somewhat to its origenal possition, also they are only connected on the bottom side, so they act like clips. In a hurry they can either slide out the top or you just pull up and out and they come free from the clips very easily. I just put this together so it will take some more experimenting, but for now it seems to work, the other thing that works nice is that when the shield is hung over the shoulder for long marches, running, ect. both javalins are readily availible off the left shoulder and do not have to be carried. I'm not claiming this is how they did it, but there is no evidance i know of as of yet as to how this was done, and from personal experiance trying to carry the extra javalins and the shield in one hand is very uncomfortable.

I meant 'heavy' as in big/fat. :wink:

Right. I thought the clips were fixed both ends.

Cheers.

Who are you calling fat? Yeah they are a little on the wider side, if i did it again I would do them thinner, but I still don't see attaching 6 or holding 6 as feasable

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - kevair464 - 04-08-2009

New Impression, this is one I just finished putting together.

Augustan era Optio circa 9 AD
-Maintz Gladius
-Coolus E
-Kalkriese Segmentata

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Antonia Auriga - 04-08-2009

Quote:Me at Castra Lafe event this year as Standard Bearer for the doomed Legio XVIII, Standard, Varus mask, and wolf pelt made by and borrowed from Terry Nix at Niximperial

You looked amazing in that 'wolf hat!' It was so much fun at Lafe. Nice to have met you! I can't seem to find any pics of me there since I didn't take a camera... But it wouldn't be hard to forget the one girl legionary. See you next year! : )

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - kevair464 - 04-08-2009

Ha! His name was wolfie, yeah we need to expand the ranks of female legionaries, i mean this is the first century after all, need some forward thinking.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - M. Demetrius - 04-08-2009

Quote:but I still don't see attaching 6 or holding 6 as feasable
And yet, they did it, somehow.
First step is to make that many javelins. There must be a RomanLogical way of doing it, as the historians seem to agree that the velite/light infantry carried that many. I'll bet a well tuned parma strap is integral to this business. More on the progress when I have more to share.

And I don't think the velite would be in hand-to-hand while still carrying his javelins. That might come later, after all were thrown, so being able to manage a shield against a forceful stroke would not be needful. They were skirmishers, not front line troops.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Nemonius Agricola - 04-08-2009

Here is couple pictures from my trip to Lafe. Yes I know my right shoulder piece is too high. TSA decided to jam the shoulder section under another piece. In the picture is me in my cold weather clothing. Long sleeved linen tunic thats all hand sewn and my wool braccae thats also all hand sewn. The second picture is me in my hand sewn, madder dyed tunic and with wool braccae on.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Chuck Russell - 04-09-2009

did a little 3rd century AD today, pictures are click able:

[Image: DSCN0973-1.jpg][Image: DSCN0990-1.jpg][Image: DSCN0985-1.jpg][Image: DSCN0978-1.jpg]

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Virilis - 04-10-2009

Great impression, Chuck!! You found the helmet after all, it seems to fit well, how do you like it yourself? In fact you look exactly like Caracalla, just beware when you are going to shit in the woods when coming back from the eastern frontier :wink: ...