RomanArmyTalk
Show here your Roman soldier impression - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show here your Roman soldier impression (/showthread.php?tid=2606)

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - QVINTVS ARTORIVS CORVINVS - 04-02-2009

Damned sweet impression there Kevin!

I have sent your picture to our Standard Bearer to help inspire him to finish his bloody gear... and in high style.

How is the Parma slung? I haven't actually seen the strapping method for it. Any pictures of it and how it is worn?

Thanks

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - kevair464 - 04-02-2009

Thanks! The Parma was slung by a simple thick leather cord strap over my shoulder tied to the hand grip for easy adjustment, i don't have any pictures of the other side, but the makeshift parma I have at home is attached in a similar method, nothing complex. Terry does great work I'm happy he let me borrow the signifer stuff for lafe.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - QVINTVS ARTORIVS CORVINVS - 04-02-2009

Fair enough... one last question though... Does it always stay slung by the cord? I have seen some footage of a Standard Bearer under attack and he had both hands free while the Parma more or less tracked with him. SO I guess it really isn't an issue of what do you do with the sling when not in use, to my understanding, it is always in use.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - kevair464 - 04-02-2009

For Lafe at least when we came under heavy attack and I had to draw I planted the standard in the dirt, unslung the parma (the strap just dangles underneath, its short enough not to get in the way), and held the parma in my left hand, when we had to move again I pulled it out of the dirt and held it and the parma in the same hand, its a bit unwieldly but I was using the shield of nearby legionary's as cover from missles. To be honest I felt extremely more exposed the day I was out fighting as a signifer than the day when I was out as a legionary with a big scutum.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - M. Demetrius - 04-02-2009

Quote:To be honest I felt extremely more exposed the day I was out fighting as a signifer than the day when I was out as a legionary with a big scutum.
You don't say!

Well here I go :lol:

This is my 1st Century Centurion Impression:
- DPK Gallic H-N
- KA tunic
- Len Morgan Phalerae
- KA Hamata
- DPK greaves
- DPK Mainz Gladius
- DPK Brass Pugio
- Still need to dye linen subarmalis :wink:

Taken while getting ready for full dress rehearsal for a Passion Play

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - TFLAVIUSAMBIORIX - 04-02-2009

Very nice, I like it. what does KA stand for? excuse my ignorance I dont really do much 1st c. reenacting.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Theodosius the Great - 04-03-2009

KA = Keltica Authentic ( https://ns23.servepower.com/kelticairon ... m/shop.htm )

Phillip, very impressive. With the exception of the helmet I think your kit works well for a Passion Play.

Kevin, that's one of the best kits I've seen for a Standard Bearer in the US. Laudes.

~Theo

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - kevair464 - 04-03-2009

Thanks Theo, all these compliments make me wish all of it was my kit.....to bad.....it did end up looking really nice laudes to Terry Nix for making the standard, wolf pelt helmet, varus mask, and parma, the rest of the kit is mine, though i usually do a augustan mile/optio impression.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - QVINTVS ARTORIVS CORVINVS - 04-03-2009

Thanks Theo... I wasn't reallly up for buying another helmet just for a buckshee performance :wink:
But it is pretty much bang on for a Centurion of the XXI 8)
... at least I think so :roll:

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Julius Verax - 04-05-2009

QVINTVS ,
You look great mate wll done . Be glad to have you with me in that kit anytime . Well done .

kevair464 , Great Impression also , looks brilliant mate .

Julius .

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Theodosius the Great - 04-06-2009

Quote:Thanks Theo... I wasn't reallly up for buying another helmet just for a buckshee performance
Oh, quite understandable. Smile You're kit is closer to the period than mine is so far. (I'm going for circa 30 AD). I like your paladumentum too, what a rare sight among reenactors.

Quote:the rest of the kit is mine, though i usually do a augustan mile/optio impression.
You seem enthusiatic about making your Triumvir impression. I wouldn't be suprised if you had it ready by summer at the rate you're going. Smile

Valete,
~Theo

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - kevair464 - 04-06-2009

HA, i should have most everything by the end of this week! so much for summer. Once I get things together I will post a few pictures, I pu together both a mile impression and a light infantry/velite/skirmisher (whatver you want to call it) impression.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - marvises - 04-06-2009

wow all these are excellent i havent seen any pratorians yet =P

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - kevair464 - 04-06-2009

I'll E-mail you david