RomanArmyTalk
Show here your Roman soldier impression - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show here your Roman soldier impression (/showthread.php?tid=2606)

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Gaius Julius Caesar - 11-18-2008

Quote:[Image: 132446802a9446631345l.jpg]

Slightly better picture of me in my gear... not much can be said for my facials!! (probably gritting my teeth because it was so damn cold.. dont let the sun fool you!)

Crispvs, thanks for your input, but as Byron points out we do portray a slightly later period than that of the 14th... it goes from around 84AD when the battle of Mons Graupius was fought to around 200 AD when Septimius Severus visited scotland. (could possibly even later than that!)

so the use of Bracchae is acceptable imo... And i think the romans would have used whatever they could have to keep theirselves warm, if they thought England was cold, they would surely have frozen to death in scotland (especially during the winter, when those photos are taken (last month).

Found the pics last night, Lucius!

Can you post the others too, as I can't seem to get them into a postable format. There is one of me looking pretty angry.....
Another of NUNU looking abit surprised as Karen whacks him between the le.......I think you will see it! Confusedhock: :lol:

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Lucius Duccius Rufinus - 11-18-2008

Quote:Found the pics last night, Lucius!

Can you post the others too, as I can't seem to get them into a postable format. There is one of me looking pretty angry.....
Another of NUNU looking abit surprised as Karen whacks him between the le.......I think you will see it! Confusedhock: :lol:

Magius, where are they?? lol i got that one from my friend at work who was at the day, if you can email me them and i'll post them on here Smile

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Crispvs - 11-18-2008

Thanks for that. However, I think your group needs to narrow its period. You are talking a period of c120 years, during which time equipment and probably clothing changed substantially. If you try to cover that whole period in one go, unless you are doing a static display of figure types, your unit will look like the equivilent of Napoleonic, Crimean War, Zulu War and World War I soldiers all marching together. These big time periods are fine for types displays (we often do a types display covering a seven hundred year period) but for a unit display you need to try to have a focus of less than fifty years (and even that is a reasonably wide timeframe). My suggestion therefore, would be to pick the quarter century you really wanted to concentrate on and all equip yourselves for that period. Keep your original 120 year timescle for types displays where you can show the public just how much the Roman soldier changed during that time.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Lucius Duccius Rufinus - 11-18-2008

Quote:Thanks for that. However, I think your group needs to narrow its period. You are talking a period of c120 years, during which time equipment and probably clothing changed substantially. If you try to cover that whole period in one go, unless you are doing a static display of figure types, your unit will look like the equivilent of Napoleonic, Crimean War, Zulu War and World War I soldiers all marching together. These big time periods are fine for types displays (we often do a types display covering a seven hundred year period) but for a unit display you need to try to have a focus of less than fifty years (and even that is a reasonably wide timeframe). My suggestion therefore, would be to pick the quarter century you really wanted to concentrate on and all equip yourselves for that period. Keep your original 120 year timescle for types displays where you can show the public just how much the Roman soldier changed during that time.

We did try to do that at our last event, Magius (Byron) has alot of helmets, so we took some from the early republic straight through to the imperial era, aswell as showing off a variety of different gladius, pugio and armor types.

The reason we chose such a vast time period to show off is that was obviously how long the romans were in Scotland for. but when it comes to us doing group displays we do try and ensure to equip ourselves the same, however we are still starting out as a group and im still assembling alot of my own kit, so thats where things might look a little rag tag in the impression shown above

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Crispvs - 11-18-2008

"however we are still starting out as a group and im still assembling alot of my own kit, so thats where things might look a little rag tag in the impression shown above"

Actually I think you are doing quite well with your kit so far. Don't forgat thet mostly what I have been talking about recently in this thread has been cold weather clothing. If all your men are equipped to the same level as you (plus a bit more cold weather kit in the form of faciae and extra tunics) then I think you will make a fine looking unit.

Crispvs

Quote:"however we are still starting out as a group and im still assembling alot of my own kit, so thats where things might look a little rag tag in the impression shown above"

Actually I think you are doing quite well with your kit so far. Don't forgat thet mostly what I have been talking about recently in this thread has been cold weather clothing. If all your men are equipped to the same level as you (plus a bit more cold weather kit in the form of faciae and extra tunics) then I think you will make a fine looking unit.

Crispvs

Thanks for the compliment, i think they are actually better armed than me!, i think everything in that photograph is mine except for the cloak and chainmail, but im getting a set of chainmail made up just now Smile Sucks being such a big guy as if i want segmenta i'm going to have to make it myself, which i intend on doing.

But thanks for the compliment Smile

Quote:Here is a terrible photo i found on Flickr of me at the Wickerman 2008 at Archaeolink.
[Image: 3010342813_92ecd6d3d8.jpg]

This is the place I found the other pictures, but was unable to save or copy them. I assumed you knew the techno wizzery!

Plus another site somewhere else I had googled!

What did you type in to google Magius? I cant see any others of us where i got the picture of me, except for NuNu's helmet!

Quote:Thanks for that. However, I think your group needs to narrow its period. You are talking a period of c120 years, during which time equipment and probably clothing changed substantially. If you try to cover that whole period in one go, unless you are doing a static display of figure types, your unit will look like the equivilent of Napoleonic, Crimean War, Zulu War and World War I soldiers all marching together. These big time periods are fine for types displays (we often do a types display covering a seven hundred year period) but for a unit display you need to try to have a focus of less than fifty years (and even that is a reasonably wide timeframe). My suggestion therefore, would be to pick the quarter century you really wanted to concentrate on and all equip yourselves for that period. Keep your original 120 year timescle for types displays where you can show the public just how much the Roman soldier changed during that time.

Crispus, the braccae are for the later periods, which I plan to do, up to 180ad, also perhaps for the trajanic impressiontoo, once I get the kit together.
It was extremely coldthat weekend, and as Lucius says we were doing a
bit of this and a bit of that.
But I would not be surprised if legionaries wore braccae sooner, rather than later, as it has been mentioned Marcus Antonious wore them? CMIIW
Soldiers follow leaders? Fashion is usually set by leaders....
I look forward to the information you mention though, as I have some material I have been planning on using for wrapping for some time, just have not gotten to it!

And the 2 tunic thing is going on if you look closely! Or did you think my gut was that shape anyway? Tongue
(gets a little tight in the seg though) :roll:

Quote:What did you type in to google Magius? I cant see any others of us where i got the picture of me, except for NuNu's helmet!

Wickerman Archaeolink 2008

select all the web, there are quite a few links, (aside from the 'I am Bruce' ) where you got your picture!

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Lucius Duccius Rufinus - 12-09-2008

Got some more pictures from the Wickerman Event the Ninth did, some rather good shots!

[Image: 132446802a9574721030l.jpg]

- On the march

[Image: 132446802a9574727587l.jpg]

- Execute the Celtic Witch.

[Image: 132446802a9574721059l.jpg]

- Sentry Duty

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Gaius Julius Caesar - 12-09-2008

Those look like the ones I came across, great work! Smile

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Crispvs - 12-09-2008

Hmm - looks quite good Byron. I take it that you were doing a period types display.
I think Nunu's helmet is slightly too early for his armour but then again I see no fundamental reason why a seventy plus year old helmet might not still be in service if it was in good enough condition (although I would expect it to be fairly worn). I also know that he plans to update his armour some time soon to bring it into line with the current level of evidence.
It is good to see you getting to wear one your other helmets, although with that helmet I would have been inclined to wear a later pattern sword on the left on a wide baldric. You would also have the option of long sleeves to go with your bracchae.

Crispvs

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Gaius Julius Caesar - 12-09-2008

Quote:Hmm - looks quite good Byron. I take it that you were doing a period types display.
I think Nunu's helmet is slightly too early for his armour but then again I see no fundamental reason why a seventy plus year old helmet might not still be in service if it was in good enough condition (although I would expect it to be fairly worn). I also know that he plans to update his armour some time soon to bring it into line with the current level of evidence.
It is good to see you getting to wear one your other helmets, although with that helmet I would have been inclined to wear a later pattern sword on the left on a wide baldric. You would also have the option of long sleeves to go with your bracchae.

Crispvs

Cheers Crispus.

I'm on the waiting list for a later period sword as we speak.....
And I do have the longer sleeved tunics read for it too. At least I hope they are correct for end of second cent. Which is what I want to get together anyway.

We were just a little free and easy that weekend to be honest....after
all, we actually lost to 2 women, so authenticity was really out the window anyway!! :lol: :lol:

And yes, I think NUNU has his eye on one of Peronis squamata.
Can't blame him really.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Julius Verax - 12-14-2008

Great pics from everyone . Here is a pic of me and the Mayor of South Shields in North East England , it was taken at Arbeia Roman Fort where I do lots of my work .
I hope you like it .
Julius Verax :wink: