RomanArmyTalk
Show here your Roman soldier impression - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show here your Roman soldier impression (/showthread.php?tid=2606)

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Tita Iuventia Martia - 10-09-2008

Ave!

Very nice impression, Oleg. Can you tell me which period you portray?

And one more question. I saw some pictures in your gallery on your website, and I noticed something like carpets on ground in your tent. I also noticed that some soldiers carried this rolled-up on their furcas. Can you tell me what is it? It seems like a handy idea.

Best regards from Prague,

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER - 10-09-2008

Looking good, Oleg!

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Centurio - 10-09-2008

Tita Iuventia Martia, M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER, thank you!

Our group is recreating auxiliary cohort of the late I AD stationed in Moesia Inferior.
We are using felt underlays to sleep in a tent, and on march we are carrying them on furcas. It's really easy and quite comfortable to use.
And which cohort are you recreating?

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Tita Iuventia Martia - 10-10-2008

Ave Oleg,
So, we are almost colleagues ;-) ) Our group portray Roman legionaries from third quarter of first century a.d. and also legionaries from first half of second century a.d. Our auxiliery troops portray Coh I Montanorvm - I am not an expert on auxiliary units, but as I know, recruits of this unit were mainly from Germania. We have also lots of evidence that this unit was located near our state boundary. I think in Austria. Time period of our auxiliary troops is late first century a.d.

regards from Prague :-) )

I have to say that your felt underlays is really cool idea 8) Such a pitty that felt is so expensive for me :-( ( Now, I am thinking about alternate solution (from history materials, of course).

vale and regards

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Gaius Julius Caesar - 10-10-2008

Greetings to all you Romans! Great impressions!

Oleg, your gladius and helmet look interesting. Where did you get them?
The helmet looks to be bronze?

The sword a pompiensis.

And I sympathize with your felt price problem, ......but sheepskins are a good, if bulkier alternative.

Ave,
sheepskin :?: It sounds good :-) ) I have to ask my friends, how much is it. I hope that not so much ;-) )

vale and regards

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Marcus Mummius - 10-10-2008

Quote:Ave,
sheepskin :?: It sounds good :-) ) I have to ask my friends, how much is it. I hope that not so much ;-) )

vale and regards

For padding I find shearling very suitable. This is the hide of a sheared sheep or lamb. Regular sheepskin is often too bulky.

Nice impressions!

But for sleeping on.........mmmmmmmmmmmmm :!: :lol:

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Centurio - 10-10-2008

Tita Iuventia Martia, have you been to Roman festival in Bulgaria last June? Our optio was there and he told that he saw auxiliaries from Czechia. Was it your group?
It is surprisingly to me that felt is expensive in Europe. Here in Russia it is quite cheap. Sheepskin is also a good alternative!

Gaius Julius Caesar, thank you!
Our swords and helmets are made by Russian smiths. Helmets (Auxiliary Type C) are of galvanized steel. Unfortunately it is too expensive for us to make them of bronze. Maybe in future :roll:
Our swords are of pompeian style indeed.

Ave Oleg,
Yes, I have been in Bulgaria with my group Leg X GPF. The auxiliary unit from Czech republic, which your optio could have seen was really our auxiliary unit :-) ) He also could have seen our legionaries and members of our praetorian guard - COH V Praetoria. We also had one legionary tent, signum and vexilum and one balista and two scorpions ;-) )

Yes, felt is quite expensive. I was surprised too, when I saw the price :-( ( 1 kg of felt is guesstimate about 600 CZK (guesstimate 35 USD)... Yes, I saw this price in a small shop in Prague, but.. It is not cheap, I think..

vale and regards

Ave, Tita!
So, you came there really prepared for fighting! I hope we'll meet you and your group next year in Bulgaria!

Gaius Julius Caesar,
May I ask you, where did you get your cingulum? It looks very fine!

From Armillum, in Spain.
Jorge Mambrilla is the chap who owns it.

http://armillum.com/tienda/

Thanks for the link, Gaius, there are a lot of useful stuff! :wink:

Tita, you have a nice auxiliary shield pattern. It's from Trajan's column, right?

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Tita Iuventia Martia - 10-12-2008

Ave Oleg,
excuse my quite late answer to your question about my shield, I was really busy :-( oops:

So, I have not an auxiliary shield, but a parma. Sometimes, I also portray a standard bearer in our legion. I hope that my scutum will be ready to use soon for my centurion impression :-) )

But, you are right about the patern on my parma shield- the inspiration is from Traians columm and from later Avrelivs columm. It seems that our legion's patern was at some time really used by the tenth legion (Leg X GPF), but we are not sure about it yet. Main problem, I think, is absence of evidences about shields paintings.