RomanArmyTalk
Show here your Roman soldier impression - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show here your Roman soldier impression (/showthread.php?tid=2606)

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - FAVENTIANVS - 08-29-2008

Sorry, It's Maarten Dolmans, not Marteen! :oops:

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Agraes - 08-31-2008

My late-/sub-roman impression of a Romano-Briton soldier settled in Western Armorica/Letavia in the last decades of the 5th century.

Photos shot at Archeon.
Picture credits go to Kelvine (Foederati) and to Fectio :wink:

[Image: archeonxo7.jpg]
Training in the morning with my fellow milites.

[Image: pict0620ab0.jpg]
The "Practise Fight" in the afternoon.

[Image: pict0955gp0.jpg]

A note about my helmet as some may be intrigued. It is not a reproduction of an archeological piece, but a kind of "missing link" between the late roman helmets of the 4th century and the anglo-saxon helmets of the 7th and 8th centuries such as the Pioneer/Wollaston and the Coppergate helmets, hence why it echoes them a bit.

Next steps for 2008-2009 season: new cingulum with romano-british horsehead buckle, spatha, new tunic, new spear, and I hope thoracomachus with lorica hamata.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Robert Vermaat - 08-31-2008

Quote: A note about my helmet as some may be intrigued. It is not a reproduction of an archeological piece, but a kind of "missing link" between the late roman helmets of the 4th century and the anglo-saxon helmets of the 7th and 8th centuries such as the Pioneer/Wollaston and the Coppergate helmets, hence why it echoes them a bit.
I liked it a lot! Something original, at least! Big Grin

Quote:Next steps for 2008-2009 season: new cingulum with romano-british horsehead buckle, spatha, new tunic, new spear, and I hope thoracomachus with lorica hamata.
Wow. That's very ambitious!

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Agraes - 09-01-2008

Thanks Robert :wink:

I have to be ambitious, especially thinking for the next LRE, in two years I hope my kit will be nearly complete (that's adding to the aforementionned a neck torc, Dinas Powys ennameled brooch and of course greaves :twisted: ).

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Folkert van Wijk - 09-01-2008

Quote:[Image: 85ui5.jpg]

Trying to find this helmet in the roman data base, but I can't... Sad
It's something emperial Gallic isn't it? I would like to be able to compare it with the original find...

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Marcus Mummius - 09-01-2008

Quote:Trying to find this helmet in the roman data base, but I can't... Sad
It's something emperial Gallic isn't it? I would like to be able to compare it with the original find...

I'm not sure if it's a replica of an existing helmet... But it seems to be inspired on the early Weisenau helmets (often called Gutmann subtype).

This is an example of such a helmet:

[Image: imperialgallichelmet.jpg]

Vale,

Yes that's the one, thanks.
It looks like a pretty close replica isn't it?
Am I right that it is not in the roman helmet database here?
And why not..?

Some things were probably changed by the armourer to make it easier. The eyebrow lines are more shallow and not as 'crisp' as on the original. Also the cheekguard engraving wasn't done.

The original helmet was made of a cupric alloy that was then tinned. The other helmet was made out of iron or steel it seems and this is probably one of the reasons the details aren't as neatly done and the engraving was left out.

Here's a replica by Erik König. Pretty close to the original.

[Image: 193018070507_Bijoux_106.jpg]

Yeah I notised the embossing looks shallow, but the engraving is there...
In all', I do know what you mean dow...

I quess the price tag of the Erik König helmet is much more "realistic" two :wink: :lol:

Folkert

Quote:Yeah I notised the embossing looks shallow, but the engraving is there...
In all', I do know what you mean dow...

I quess the price tag of the Erik König helmet is much more "realistic" two :wink: :lol:

Folkert

Oops, I noticed the engraving now :oops:

I don't know what the price of the Grex helmet is, so I can't compare them in that respect.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - alexlm - 09-02-2008

Hello all,
I have recently finished a mid-to-late 1st century AD Roman legionary impression. I constructed as much as I could by myself or with help from fellow members of Legio XI (Atlanta). My kit includes:
Lorica segmentata - constructed myself
Subarmalis, pigskin with linen lining, constructed myself
Gallic G helmet, constructed crest from black walnut & horsehair
Fulham gladius, Deepeeka plain steel pugio (replaced horn layer with walnut)
Balteus, constructed using with Clang Armory plates
Scutum, constructed with help from Leg XI members
custom pilum & PAR Fabrica caligae

I especially want to thank Edge (Gaius Calvus) for his help and Matt Lukes for his advice in helping me construct my seg.
I'm almost done with a Dacian War era kit, and have the manica and greaves done. Stay tuned for pictures of that kit in the future.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Magnus - 09-03-2008

Welll done, kit looks great!

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - arklore70 - 09-03-2008

Alex,
looking great.

Mike

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Gaius_Calvus - 09-05-2008

Alex is too modest to say it, but he did all this in a very short time -- on the order of 6 months or so. The longest piece was the scutum -- which was beyond his control.

Alex went from never working with leather, metal, wood, peening a rivet himself, nothing -- to this in a matter of a few short months.

Great dedication, brother. You look great!

Edge

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER - 09-05-2008

Looking sharp, Alex, laudes.