RomanArmyTalk
Show here your Roman soldier impression - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show here your Roman soldier impression (/showthread.php?tid=2606)

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - John M McDermott - 08-06-2008

Quote:Erik König from Aurificina Treverica made the wood in Birtch, then I glued two pieces of whool. The whool was ten impregnated with a mixture of bone and fish glue.

I would respectfully suggest that the proper material would have been felt made in the old way. Felt made this way has an unbelievable ability to resist both cuts and punctures.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Marcus Mummius - 08-06-2008

[Image: Marle_leg_XI_en_Chris_Haines.jpg]

Some of us (Legio XI CPF Belgium) with Chris Haines at Marle

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Octavianvs - 08-07-2008

Jean-Luc - Nice Looking group at Marle ! Big Grin
Falco - You guys look like you had a good time! Big Grin
Great Pics all Marle look like a good time!

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Aemilianus - 08-07-2008

Quote:
Quote:Erik König from Aurificina Treverica made the wood in Birtch, then I glued two pieces of whool. The whool was ten impregnated with a mixture of bone and fish glue.

I would respectfully suggest that the proper material would have been felt made in the old way. Felt made this way has an unbelievable ability to resist both cuts and punctures.

Salve John,

I did not give precision, but actually you are right, and I used whool felt and not whool tissue. The reason is that, it is what peter Connolly wrote me in his letter. Felt was on the original shield found in egypt. He is very specific about it, Yes it is felt.

I also found another evidence of felt use in one of my friend book, but I can't put back my hand onto it anymore, that they had found part of a roman helmet padding in the mud of a Swiss lake made of sheep felt.

Anybody that got an idea of the article, I would be very interested.

My paenula that I had for 8 years now is made of Goat felt. This is a dream tissue, neither the English rain, nor the Karlkriese rain could't go trough and I stay dry all the time.

I had a few arguments with my good friend Holger Ratsdorf about it, as he thinks the roman didn't use felt. This is not my opinion since we have evidences. But this is another debate...

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Ceasar Augustus - 08-07-2008

Impressive, all of you.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - John M McDermott - 08-07-2008

Quote:My paenula that I had for 8 years now is made of Goat felt. This is a dream tissue, neither the English rain, nor the Karlkriese rain could't go trough and I stay dry all the time.

Yes, and it is cool in hot weather and warm in cold weather.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Aemilianus - 08-08-2008

Yes, and it is cool in hot weather and warm in cold weather.[/quote]

Salve John,

You are right about that too, for a few years when I started reconstitution, I wore a linen tunic all the time, then the more I read documentation, the more I was under the impression that I was marching in underwears... I have adopted wool over my linen, and I will never go back. Wool tunic protect from the cold but also regulates body temperature better from the heat too. I tried it a few weeks ago with 34°Celcius and it felt quite comfortable.

To try it is to adopt it!

The Goat felt I use was made in a monastary in the South West of france. It is made the traditional way with a technique they claim goes back to the Middle ages. They still make this tissue for shepperds long mantels that they wear year around...

This prove your point and mine about the great quality of wool.

Vale

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Ceasar Augustus - 08-08-2008

Hmmm... Maybe I'll get one myself.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Q. Vipsanivs Praetextatvs - 08-09-2008

That's me!!!! :

[Image: iesso08053yj9.th.jpg]

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Q. Vipsanivs Praetextatvs - 08-09-2008

And me in Tarraco Viva:

[Image: 1001454rw5.jpg]

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Chris B - 08-09-2008

Not a soldier, but I figured we needed some more pictures of Roman women. Here is my wife in tunica, stola, and palla all made by Mathew Amt's sister. The jewelry is all Armamentaria.

[Image: RomanFemale003a.jpg]

[Image: RomanFemale004a.jpg]

And family. I just need Bullas for the kids.

[Image: RomanFamily001a.jpg]

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - John M McDermott - 08-09-2008

Ok, here is the centurio's wife of Legio XF in Houston, Texas.

[Image: Untitled-2-1.jpg]

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Chris B - 08-09-2008

I still need to meet you John. Two beautiful Houstonian women as Romans!

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - John M McDermott - 08-09-2008

Sent you a PM.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Octavianvs - 08-10-2008

Nice ! Big Grin D D