RomanArmyTalk
New event: 1st annual route march by the Erie Canal - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Events (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+--- Thread: New event: 1st annual route march by the Erie Canal (/showthread.php?tid=2600)

Pages: 1 2

New event: 1st annual route march by the Erie Canal - Anonymous - 04-01-2005

1st annual roman route march by the canal
Legio XXX Ulpia Victrix is calling on all romans, auxilaries in the service of Rome, and friendly barbarians, to come out for the first annual route march by the Erie Canal. The march is scheduled to commence from the Village of Pittsford, proceed towards Bushnell's Basin, and return. We will meet at the public parking lot on Rt. 31 at 11:00AM on Saturday May 28th. For more information, go to:
[url:1mq2hv9x]http://www.geocities.com/romanlegionlegioxxx[/url]

Wow! - Anonymous - 04-02-2005

Too bad I won't be visiting my folks then! They live not 7 miles from there!! I would love to have participated.<br>
<br>
Have fun! I'll let my parents know so they can go down and snap lots of pics of you all.<br>
<br>
Uale!<br>
<br>
Britannicus<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>

Re: New event: 1st annual route march by the Erie Canal - Quintius Clavus - 04-03-2005

I am definitely interested. Besides which, I think that you guys from the XXX Ulpia have supported us in the Northeast US, and turnabout is only fair.<br>
I just have to decide if my somewhat "dicey" left knee will hold up on the march. The area is not bad for hills, though. I lived in Syracuse (in the 70's) and traveled lots up and down the Thruway to and from Buffalo and several trips into Rochester (70's and 80's).<br>
To stay faithful to the time schedule, i.e. back to start point around 5 PM, someone will likely have to carry a modern timepiece, so that we know when we've reached our halfway point time-wise.<br>
Definitely sounds like fun.<br>
<br>
Marcus Quintius Clavus/Quinton <p></p><i></i>

Re: New event: 1st annual route march by the Erie Canal - Anonymous - 04-03-2005

Quintus, your very welcome to join us. I'll be carrying my stachel, so there will be a place to put your watch. If you need a place to stay, either for the night before, or afterwards, I'm sure that we could find some room at my house. E-mail me for directions.<br>
<br>
Here's a Power-point flyer that I've put-together for the march:<br>
66.66.131.145/roman/RouteMarchFlyer.ppt<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>

Re: New event: 1st annual route march by the Erie Canal - Quintius Clavus - 04-05-2005

I have my satchel (locutus) as well. And, I may have a furca pack pole too, to carry a few other items on. I should get an order off to Julia at Venetian Cat pottery for the water flask. We will all need to make sure we have plenty of water.<br>
From experience, the only day I actually drank ALL of my water at geology field camp was the day we were working alongside a river all day. I wasn't alone in that, either, as most of us were thirstier from being in sight of all that water.<br>
Now I just have to exercise my knees well!<br>
Overnight lodging will be great - If I can leave work early on Friday, I might even manage to roll in at a semi human hour.<br>
<br>
Marcus Quintius Clavus/Quinton <p></p><i></i>

Re: New event: 1st annual route march by the Erie Canal - Magnus - 04-14-2005

Hey quintus...2 points if you have a bum knee.

1. try inserting a good insole into your caligae to absorb the impact of walking.

2. wrap the knee with a tensor bandage or something. If you want to be authentic, just wrap a piece of wool or linen over top of it.

Magnus, are you coming? - Neuraleanus - 04-14-2005

and the rest of cohort I for that mater? The wife has promised to provide a banquet afterwards. Big Grin

Re: New event: 1st annual route march by the Erie Canal - Magnus - 04-15-2005

LOL....you sure you didn't coerce your wife into it eh lee? I'm sure that Albion gladius comes in handy :twisted:

Dean has the same grading going on that date (for our japanese sword art)...Anthony might be camping...Austin is getting married...and Devin...who knows...lol.

Schedule for the route march - Neuraleanus - 05-22-2005

• Meet at the public parking lot at 11AM,
    Do a starbucks detail (it's across the street),
    Proceed along the canal, hopefully as far as Bushnell's Basin and back,
    return to Neuraleanus's villa for dinner and a pila toss in the back yard.

This should be fun. I've also invited some barbarians from the local SCA barony to attend. They may not march, but simply stand along the side-lines and jeer at the romans. Some barbarian harrassment should make the march all that more authentic.

We were the hit of Pittsford! - Neuraleanus - 05-29-2005

After action report:

Despite a bit or rain (when doesn't it rain at a legio XXX event?) it was a great day! My thanks again for Robert and Bob for making the trip from Canada to participate. We started out at the Rt. 31 parking lot, headed across the bridge to Shoen Place, and from there we got about two thirds of the way to Bushnell's Basin and returned. We had to cut the march a bit short as Robert had issues with a new pair of caligae. We encountered a great deal of favorable response from the local population, stopping frequently to answer questions and to pose for pictures. As soon as I finish
the roll of film that I took along, I'll be posting pictures.
Big Grin

Re: New event: 1st annual route march by the Erie Canal - Magnus - 05-30-2005

Hey Lee! Sorry we couldn't make it, but it sounds like you had a decent time!

Which Robert blew a shoe? Sacco or Norton? What happened?

Robert Norton - Neuraleanus - 05-30-2005

Surprisingly, Robert Norton turned out to be the weak link (I had thought that I would have the most trouble). First of all he forgot his scarf. He went back to Canada with a severe red rash about his neck. The biggest problem stemmed from his giving his old caligae to a new guy, Tom Ross, and he had to quickly make a new pair. He had neglected to build in an arch support. That coupled with an odd placed stone that caused his toe to bleed, proved his undoing. I wanted to continue on our way back along a somewhat longer route that would of routed us through the village of Pittsford, but Robert vetoed that plan. Oh well, next year.

One thing that I will do different next time is to have cards made up to hand out. Very few people saw the flyer that I had posted on the Village's public bulletin board.

Overall, it was a great time. On the way back some woman stood at the door of her shop and applauded us. "You guys look fantastic!", she shouted. Bob Sacco led the way with the aquila standard, wearing his wolf pelt, I followed holding my cornu and wearing the bear pelt, and Robert Norton followed carrying a full marching kit.

The only real negative was that none of the SCA people that I had talked to showed up. I would of liked to of seen a few barbarians along the way.

Re: New event: 1st annual route march by the Erie Canal - Magnus - 05-30-2005

Hehehehehe...well, I bet you robert won't forget his scarf next time....lol. He should have used his civilian t-shirt or a sock to wrap around his neck...lol.

Why did Robert veto your plan...because of his injury? Going through town might have been fun...good way to drum up curiousity, though it sounds like you did well.

Yeah, the SCA isn't all that reliable, unless it's a big event...they're hit and miss.

Yes - Neuraleanus - 05-30-2005

Cry
Robert's feet were hurting him too much.

It's hard to figure out the SCA. If we were banging on each other, maybe then they would be more interested. I just cannot get myself to make up a set of plastic armour.

Picture are posted! - Neuraleanus - 06-03-2005

Go to:

[url:1edsaezi]http://66.66.131.145/roman/CanalMarch/[/url]