RomanArmyTalk
Master and Commander - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Recreational Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: Master and Commander (/showthread.php?tid=255)

Pages: 1 2

Master and Commander - rekirts - 08-25-2003

Anyone else looking forward to the release of 'Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World' in November? Had a look at the trailer and it looks pretty exciting.<br>
<br>
Have to admit, though, that I didn't picture Captain Aubrey as looking like Russell Crowe or Stephen Maturin like Paul Bettany when I read Patrick O'Brian's novels. No doubt Hollywood has taken it's usual liberties, too, but I expect I'll enjoy the movie anyway.<br>
<br>
Wendy <p>"I am an admirer of the ancients,but not like some people so as to despise the talent of our own times." Pliny the Younger</p><i></i>

Re: Master and Commander - richsc - 08-25-2003

I sure am! I have read all the novels. Actually Crowe is pretty much as I imagined Aubrey, but I'll wait and see on Maturin. <p>Legio XX<br>
Fortius Conamur<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>

Re: Master and Commander - Anonymous - 08-26-2003

I saw the trailer when I went to see "Seabiscuit," and I must say that the SPFX and uniforms met my expectations. I've been following the progress and comments about this online, the official site and the Patrick O'Brian sites as well. I was prepared that this was an Aubrey/Maturin pastiche unattached to any specific novel; I've just finishing my third complete reading of the series; but I was dissappointed in the trailer. I know the studio is pitching this as an exciting adventure epic and I believe (and hope) they make lots of money. However, I got no sense of what we all love about the books. There was only on brief shot of Paul Bettany as Maturin, not enough to form an opinion either way. From some of his other work, I know he can look suitably reptilean, I got no sense of his relationship with Aubrey or the men. I only hope the release print captures some of the humor and the tension onboard that O'Brian is so good at. I guess we'll all have to wait and see. <p></p><i></i>

Re: Master and Commander - rekirts - 08-26-2003

I think that if I go to the movie expecting to see the Aubrey and Maturin that I know and love, I am bound to be disappointed. I will go expecting to see a rollicking good adventure with characters that have the same names. If some genius has managed to bring out the complex personalities and relationships of O'Brian's Aubrey and Maturin, I will consider that a wonderful bonus.<br>
<br>
Wendy<br>
<br>
<p>"I am an admirer of the ancients,but not like some people so as to despise the talent of our own times." Pliny the Younger</p><i></i>

expected release - Anonymous - 11-04-2003

Having seen some of the newer trailers and a special on HBO, I'm feeling better about the film project, even though the double title "Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World" has little to do with the corresponding books. Stephen Maturin's character will have explorations and surgeries to do as well as play to cello to Jack's violin. And while the more modern, "There's not a moment to lose!" lacks the historical resonance of "Lose not a minute!" I feel better about the care and respect these film mmakers had for the material. Russell Crowe has the right look on his face when he says it. I'm actually encouraged and will probably go to the theatre to see it. It seems that in this genre' at least some respect for historical detail of dress, weaponry, and behavior as maintained.<br>
<br>
Wade Heaton<br>
Lucius Cornelius Libo<br>
[email protected] <br>
www.togaman.com <p></p><i></i>

Re: expected release - Anonymous - 11-07-2003

All I know is that the movie involves Tall Ships with large caliber cannon. That's really about it to get me to go see it.<br>
<br>
<br>
Vale<br>
-ANDY <p></p><i></i>

Master and Commander or Post Captain - Anonymous - 11-07-2003

Andy,<br>
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp I can't wait to discuss this film after the release. As you may have surmised from earlier posts, some of us are real fans of the Patrick O'Brian series of novels. Part of the earlier discussions concerned that very thing. While the backdrop of the series is Napoleonic era naval warfare, what makes the books the popular phenomemon they have become is what happens between the naval engagements (make no mistake, there are many and some are supremely exciting). Readers of the series know why I'm being cagey. But the real joys of the series are the lives of the Captain, his friend, their families and the sailors and women who populate that world. Fans of the book were all hoping that those elements would not be totally lost in the cinema. It seems that at least some of it has made it into the film.<br>
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp If you, or anyone, has not read any of the books, one caveat: Even though the title of the first novel "Master and Commander" is that of the film, the very title itself refers to Jack's first command, where he is not yet a real or "Post" Captain. He already is in the film. The novel has a very different plot. And frankly, the only real beef I have with the title is that I love the meeting scene between the two heroes, Jack's affairs with the admiral's wife and its consequences, his recruitment andtraining of his motley crew and his daring raids that give him his nickname "Lucky Jack." In the film all that has already occured. The relationship with the Doctor, Stephen Maturin, in the film is something that develops after the third novel (there are some serious conflicts before that). One element that seems to have been ignored is that the Doctor, besides ship's surgeon and amateur naturalist, is that of a serious and talented intelligence agent. Many of the plots and subplots derive from this fact.<br>
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp My hope is that anyone who comes to the books after only seeing the film realize that books function differently, but that the "Tall Ships" (Master) and gunnery practice (Commander) are the engine that drives the books. Let's talk again next week, all.<br>
<br>
Wade Heaton<br>
[email protected] <br>

Re: Master and Commander or Post Captain - rekirts - 11-09-2003

Ebert and Roeper give it two enthusiastic thumbs up and say Russell Crowe gives and Academny Award worthy performance.<br>
<br>
I wish I COULD talk about it next week, but unless I am willing to drive 200 km to see it, it could be a bit longer time than that! *sigh*<br>
I live in a one-theatre town and sometimes it takes awhile for movies to get here.<br>
<br>
Wendy <p>"I am an admirer of the ancients,but not like some people so as to despise the talent of our own times." Pliny the Younger</p><i></i>

Re: Master and Commander or Post Captain - Daniel S Peterson - 11-13-2003

Wendy, I recall on a Tonight Show interview that Russell admitted he didn't quite fit the proper look of CPT Aubrey, and had intended to gain about 30 more pounds. Then it was decided that if this film merits a sequel, he will 'evolve' into the paunchier Aubrey. Lets hope this becomes a box office hit with many more sequels to come. <p></p><i></i>

Re: Master and Commander or Post Captain - Caius Fabius - 11-16-2003

I liked it, not exactly one of the books, but a nice story and impressive visuals! It is the "lessor of two weevils"! <p>"Just before class started, I looked in the big book where all the world's history is written, and it said...." Neil J. Hackett, PhD ancient history, professor OSU, 1987</p><i></i>

Re: Master and Commander or Post Captain - Anonymous - 11-16-2003

Finally, the release in more ways than one. I was worried about the first fifteen minutes or so, but once it got going, it stopped explaining itsself and took off. There was enough character(s) and scenes right out of the book to satisfy the aficianado and not so much that the newbie felt ignored. One could gague who'd read the bookd from the odd laughter of recognition. Russell was a good Jack, after all. Maturin is a harder character to capture and without Stephen's intelligence and revolutionary background (barely touched on) it took a while for his character to take off; but when it did, it really did! The even have a great pinched-faced, surly, griping Killick (well "Preserved" indeed!) and with his tag lines intact. It really started telling its own story and did it well.<br>
At last, cinema with a respect for history and its literary sources. I hope there's more to come.<br>
<br>
Wade Heaton<br>
[email protected] <br>

Re: Master and Commander or Post Captain - Daniel S Peterson - 11-20-2003

Wade,<br>
It will be at least another month before this makes the base movie circuit over here, but from all of the reveiw clips, previews, talk show promos, etc. I've seen, the 'period feel' has gone out the window. Russell seems to make no attempt to behave like a real early 19th century British naval officer, though he would make a convincing 'tar'. Real naval officers of that era were always expected to dress impeccably irregardless of the circumstances. This was one of the ways officers overawed their men, and manuals of the day stressed this. In all the clips I saw, he never wore his hat, and was often in his shirtsleeves, which was almost unheard of for a gentleman of the day, even on active service. Like the Richard Sharpe character, Crowe seemed to adopt the adage that "real men don't wear silly, early 19th century military headgear." It is a little thing, and I know it will still be a good movie, but it is unfortunate how some big time actors refuse to 'play the game' and be 'period'.<br>
Dan <p></p><i></i>

Re: Master and Commander or Post Captain - Anonymous - 11-20-2003

Dan,<br>
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp While in the main, you are certainly correct; two mitigating factors are at work here. First, in the series of books themselves, the intricacies of dress, ceremony, and protocol are carefully explained and scrupulously observed (and the film is generally faithful to that). There are circumstances which require adjustment to the normal order. The plot of the film depicts a voyage that crosses the equator and goes "round the Horn" the southern tip of the South American continent. In the books, in the "doldrums" and extremely hot regions of the South Pacific, common sense and dripping tar brings the captain's orders to make deck clothes (sail muslin and other cloth specifically brought for these times) suited to the climates. Full dress is required on Thursdays (muster and inspections) (I'm going to check this day when I get home, Wendy and Rich, but for muster day, Thursday sticks in my mind) and Sundays (church and a reading of the Articles of War) and much of the the rest of the day is spent trying to get the tar drops out for the next time. In the southern polar regions or rainstorm, weather gear may have a uniform quality, but Jack Aubrey as Captain has the option purchasing his own gear; Jack favors a particularly ragged and ugly coat and well-worn hat of long usage.<br>
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Part of the humor in the novel is that his grumpy, grumbling steward Killick is never satisfied with his appearence: he should look more dignified, but when he does, he is in danger of stains and damage which Killick must clean and repair. (More griping and trouble with the food).<br>
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp However, for the second circumstance, this film has a particlar plot. When scenes are shown out of context on TV, the impression can be misleading. Captain Aubrey does wear his hat and uniform in the film exactly when duty and ceremony require it. And true to the book, Jack's hat is worn "athwart" like Nelson in the old fashioned style, while all the younger leftenants and midshipmen wear theirs "fore 'n' aft" in the new style. In many of the clips, however, there is a build up toward the climactic engagement where Jack uses a "ruse de guerre" and camouflages his men and ship into a particularly slovenly whaler; he forbids crew and officers on deck in anything uniform suggesting they are a man-o-war. this occurs several times in the series. In the books, Jack dresses "up" for engagements at sea, which is proper, but never for a boarding party or cutting -out expedition since his hat would get in the way of close quarter cutlassing and worse (getting ruined by blood and shot, making Killick angry at him, a worse fate than even the French).<br>
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp The movie doesn't really explain all the protocols, and readers of the book recognize that Crowe's Jack differs from O'Brian's, but not enough to really matter. The real differences are language and attitude (they have to sell tickets to American teenagers). Jack always wears the proper dress when on station or duty. However, O'Brian makes abundantly clear that long sea voyages to "The Far Side of the World" require some adjustment to climate and circumstance. If the filmmakers had chosen another plot, set in the north Atlantic or the Med, we'd have seen a lot more of Jack's ordinary quarterdeck uniform than in this particular version.<br>
<br>
Wade Heaton<br>
[email protected] <br>

Re: Master and Commander or Post Captain - Gaius Octavius Drusus - 11-21-2003

Ave Togaman:<br>
<br>
I must certainly agree with you and Dan about certain sequences in M & C not being as authentic as they could have been. However, they didn't detract from what was a thoroughly enjoyable film. Crowe's performance goes a ways towards making up for a certain other film that he did (one that is not worthy of being mentioned here).<br>
One detail that I did pick up on was on the construction of the French vessel. Those two crewmen who presented a model of the ship's hull said that it had been Yankee-built. The film also said that the vessel was of 44 guns. This says to me that it in the class of USS Constitution; didn't British naval policy of that period say that Yankee frigates were not to be engaged unless the odds were 2-1 in favor of the RN?<br>
As far as authenticity of clothing, equipment and weapons was concerned, I really couldn't find anything wrong. Too bad that certain other movie couldn't have done the same thing...:-)<br>
<br>
Vale:<br>
<br>
Gaius Octavius Drusus <p></p><i></i>

Re: Master and Commander or Post Captain - richsc - 11-22-2003

Dan, as to the clothing, Crowe is seen with his hat in many sequences. I also remember from the books that the Aubrey would be somewhat sloppily dressed depending upon the occasion, particularly if they were still in water on a hot day; Aubrey even skinny dips.<br>
<br>
As to engaging larger ships, this was a main point of the early point of Jack's career, boarding and defeating a vessal twice his size. You may remember Hornblower taking on four ships of the line, sinking two, disabling a third before surrendering.<br>
This may seem fantastic except that Nelson did all of this and more. <p>Legio XX<br>
Fortius Conamur<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>