RomanArmyTalk
New and changed features - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Community (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Rules and Announcements (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: New and changed features (/showthread.php?tid=25198)

Pages: 1 2

New and changed features - Praefectusclassis - 10-26-2015

This new forum system has many new features already built-in, and I'll be adding some in the near future. Any new and changed features sufficiently interesting to mention, will be listed here:
  • Member ranks: we've been assigned new wreaths: green for member ranks under centurio, copper for 'officers', silver for moderators and gold for admins. Moderators also have their names in silver and admins in gold. The ranks have been extended and changed slightly. We have introduced the two legionary tribune ranks. Those who reach the exalted rank of Legatus Legionis (7500 posts) are entitled to a custom title, e.g. Legatus Legionis Legio ABC...
  • 'Possibly related threads' - the forum now uses thread titles to suggest possible related topics. Not very useful if you put 'Roman legionary' in the title, but if your thread title is descriptive, it can work surprisingly well.
  • Birthdays! In your profile you can now add your birthday and select whether only your age or your entire date of birth should be shown. All not necessary, but nice nonetheless. Also made me realize I was just 25 when I first signed up back on EzBoards... Confused
  • Finding new activity: there are now three links at the top of the forum to help you figure out what to read. View New Posts shows you new posts since your last activity on the forum (so that may be a very short span of time); View Today's Posts shows you posts from the last 24hrs; View Unread Posts shows you all threads you've not ready (completely). Happy reading!
  • Medals! They were here before, were gone, back, disappeared and have returned. For now, I consider them experimental. I've been awarding some to members that just happened to be online at the time (yep, you're guinea pigs now!) and who were entitled to them.

RE: New and changed features - Renatus - 10-28-2015

(10-26-2015, 12:01 PM)Praefectusclassis Wrote: Birthdays! In your profile you can now add your birthday and select whether only your age or your entire date of birth should be shown.
Also, if you do not want to reveal your full date of birth and do not fancy changing your age each year, it will let you enter just your year of birth, which the old system would not do.

Incidentally, is there a way of accessing one's profile without going to the Members List or finding a post and clicking on one's avatar?

RE: New and changed features - Praefectusclassis - 10-28-2015

At the top left, it should say 'User CP'. Try that.

(10-28-2015, 06:06 PM)Praefectusclassis Wrote: At the top left, it should say 'User CP'. Try that.

That leads to 'Account Summary' and on the left, at the bottom of the section headed 'Miscellaneous', it has 'View Profile'.  Thanks, I'd missed that.  It's a bit more involved than under the old system, when you could just click on 'Profile', but certainly easier than the other two methods I mentioned.

Even easier: on the Index page, scroll down to 'Who's Online'. If your name is there, click on it and you go straight to your profile.

RE: New and changed features - Flavivs Aetivs - 10-29-2015

IMO we should change the moderator color from Silver to possibly something like blue or something. The silver is too hard to see/read against the background.

Also, I highly recommend everyone go to their options and click "display posts in classic mode." That way it does it like the old RAT and it's more fluent and less cluttered.

RE: New and changed features - Renatus - 11-01-2015

I see that some members have in their details a flag showing the country that they are from but others do not.  Is there a way of adding this?  I can't see one.

RE: New and changed features - Praefectusclassis - 11-01-2015

There should be, but for some reason the option isn't showing in the member profile edit-screen. I can do it by hand via the admin section, but wouldn't enjoy having to do so for everyone. :-)

RE: New and changed features - Nathan Ross - 11-01-2015

(10-29-2015, 11:59 AM)Flavivs Aetivs Wrote: I highly recommend everyone go to their options and click "display posts in classic mode." That way it does it like the old RAT and it's more fluent and less cluttered.

That is a good idea - looks a lot neater. Took me a few moments to work out how to do it though!

To get there, go to 'User CP' (top left corner of main page), then 'Edit Options' in the 'Your Profile' section on the left. Tick the box for 'classic mode'.

RE: New and changed features - Renatus - 11-01-2015

(11-01-2015, 11:31 AM)Praefectusclassis Wrote: There should be, but for some reason the option isn't showing in the member profile edit-screen. I can do it by hand via the admin section, but wouldn't enjoy having to do so for everyone. :-)

You've got quite enough on your plate without having to do that as well.  If I can't do it myself, I shall have to do without it.  It won't kill me.

RE: New and changed features - Vindex - 11-05-2015

Just noticed this as my status

Tribunus Angusticlavius

Any chance the spelling could be changed, please? Smile

RE: New and changed features - Praefectusclassis - 11-05-2015

Is there a typo? I must be blind

RE: New and changed features - Vindex - 11-07-2015

(11-05-2015, 06:37 PM)Praefectusclassis Wrote: Is there a typo? I must be blind

Aug not Ang?

RE: New and changed features - Praefectusclassis - 11-09-2015

Nope. It's tribunus angusticlavius -> narrow-stripe tribune, the equestrian ranked tribune.

RE: New and changed features - Vindex - 11-09-2015

(11-09-2015, 07:28 PM)Praefectusclassis Wrote: Nope. It's tribunus angusticlavius -> narrow-stripe tribune, the equestrian ranked tribune.

<blush> my mistake :Smile

Way too complicated for a simple cavalry person...