RomanArmyTalk
Germanic Shoe from Friesland - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Germanic Shoe from Friesland (/showthread.php?tid=24283)

Pages: 1 2

Germanic Shoe from Friesland - Crispianus - 09-30-2014

Or more precisely Lengener moor, probably 3rd century AD.

Germanic Shoe from Friesland - Vindex - 09-30-2014

That is beautiful. What craftsmanship.

Germanic Shoe from Friesland - Robert - 09-30-2014

Oh wow, those are magnificent! Any chance of you sending me a cutting pattern for these?

Germanic Shoe from Friesland - Flavivs Aetivs - 09-30-2014

Amazing. I love them, I guess they belonged to a Frisian or Saxon Warrior?

Germanic Shoe from Friesland - Gunthamund Hasding - 10-01-2014

excellent work, extremely nice, can you tell a little bit more about, what kind of leather, thickness s.o.

Quote:Oh wow, those are magnificent! Any chance of you sending me a cutting pattern for these?
Robert will look in the evening at home I might have the pattern for this one, now at work

Germanic Shoe from Friesland - Martin Moser - 10-01-2014

Very nicely done, as always! Excellent work, Ivor!

Germanic Shoe from Friesland - Robert - 10-01-2014

Oh that would be great. I am really also looking for patterns of the fifth and sixth century. I do have Stepping Through Time, but not all have patterns and finds from that era are rather scarce.

Germanic Shoe from Friesland - Crispianus - 10-01-2014

The shoes are cut freehand with a small curved knife of the kind found in North Jutland iron age graves, and is said to be a leather knife, I used the blunt back of the point to mark out lines first as a guide.
The Veg tanned leather is about 3.5-6mm(using a micrometer) thick and fairly soft and flexible, I did try a stiffer leather but it didn't work so well round the toe even though it was slightly thinner (3.3mm).
The shoe was made on a former that I cut of the foot, but I think its quite possible to make it using the original foot instead although the donor would have to be patient... fit is all important...
The straps are much shorter on the inside, were cut individually one by one and then pulled round finally trimmed to length and laced up in succession from the outside to the inside, when the first shoe was basically done a second reverse copy was cut and then adjusted to fit the foot, at this point the backs were open.
The decoration was then marked out and cut into the leather using a V shaped tool, small holes were punched and larger curves cut using a small curved chisel of suitable size.
The backs were then adjusted and stitched up, then the heel seam was adjusted and stitched followed finally by the upper heel extension.

You could make a simple paper pattern of your foot and use that as a guide if your unsure and work from that, as I said Fit is all important Wink

I can of course make a pair to fit anyone providing I have accurate measurements, but these will vary a bit depending on the foot shape and sometimes its better to use a different style, this one was quite long and narrow about 42eu, the original shoe may have been a 40eu or perhaps a little less...

As far as I know this was a single find from a bog so dating may vary but I consider it to be broadly 3rd cent AD... as to whether or not a warrior wore it... who knows, though it was certainly made by or for a man with a taste for fine if simple things.... I think its my favourite not least of all because it comes from my mothers homeland....

detail of decoration cut and scored freehand

Thanks All for your comments Confusedmile:

Germanic Shoe from Friesland - Vindex - 10-01-2014

Could I please ask for a picture of the sole? I am assuming there will be no hob nails; this is an indoor shoe?

Its a "one piece shoe" or as is sometimes called when referring to roman shoes a "Carbatina" unfortunatly no pics of the sole are possible..... at least not until I make another pair as I no longer have them.
Indoor shoe would perhaps be a misnomer as it was found in a bog presumably lost by the owner, frankly I don't know of any evidence for this type of shoe being intended for indoor use alone... even though frequently referred to as such, the evidence for simple shoes being worn all the time is pretty compelling at least from the early medieval era to more recent times and it niggles me :razz: see: M. Hald Primitive Shoes.. it can be found online.

Indoor shoes for a shoemaker ;-)
[attachment=10876]Shuster.jpg[/attachment]

Quote:Oh that would be great. I am really also looking for patterns of the fifth and sixth century. I do have Stepping Through Time, but not all have patterns and finds from that era are rather scarce.

There are a few but I'm not sure it would suit what you have in mind, the one piece Pampootie is perhaps the simplest example, with one piece and two piece (sole+upper) turn shoes and at least a few examples of old Germanic shoes hanging on... however differing quite a bit from the @3rd century type which has at least a dozen examples following a similar overall design... if in doubt go simple ;-)

[attachment=10877]ShoeJutlandfemalesmall.jpg[/attachment]

Made from oil tanned elk hide.... no stitching only lacing, the pattern is an oblong of leather broader at the toe then the heel..

Germanic Shoe from Friesland - Crispianus - 10-10-2014

Primitive Shoes can be found here:

http://vitezek.io.ua/album213075_0

I should also note its a good idea to wear insoles made from felt which is very easy to make in almost any thickness you want, theoretically you could also have a felt or fur lined shoe.... fix them in so they don't slide about ;-)

Germanic Shoe from Friesland - Crispianus - 01-16-2015

And one for the Goths...... same shoe in black...

The original shoe was apparantly for a 31.5 cm foot or a size eu48 (uk13, us14 ish) when found!!!... perhaps the Germanic version of bigfoot, its much smaller now I think......
The sole was heavily worn completly through and had been repaired repeatedly ( 3?) around the ball of the foot and heel, its difficult to tell just how many times..... so I would say it must have been worn for a least a year but could easily have been for much longer.....
As is usual the colour is a little off in the pic, the shoe is actually black with a brown tinge and the former yellow ochre...

Germanic Shoe from Friesland - Medicus matt - 01-16-2015

Lovely work Ivor.

Germanic Shoe from Friesland - PhilusEstilius - 01-16-2015

Ivor.
They are fantastic work indeed I love them.